Sooner fan really looking forward to the game

@LouderVol, thanks for this thoughtful observation.

Here's where my head is:

1) Since around 15 years ago, SEC top-tier teams have typically been in the AP top 5. They invariably meet Bud Elliott's 50% blue chip ratio metric, and they typically have 7 or more NFL draft picks each season.

2) Meanwhile, SEC mid-tier teams also produce NFL draft picks. This particular year, Oklahoma will face more upper-end SEC teams, later Oklahoma will face more lower-end teams. Using the 2024 NFL draft as an average, SEC's mid-tier teams produced around 1 more draft pick per team than Oklahoma's Big XII competition (2.9 per SEC team; 1.6 per Big XII team if you don't include outlier Texas).

3) Mizzu and Texas A&M left the Big XII and joined the SEC 12 years ago. Their results in the Big XII during the 12 years before the transition compared to their results in the SEC for these past 12 years are very similar: both teams went from a middle-of-the-pack Big XII team to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team.

4) In the past 5 years, Oklahoma's Big XII opponents played Oklahoma's new opponents from the SEC's mid-tier in 15 games (either bowl games or occ games). The Big XII's record in those fifteen games was 8-7-0 (0.533).

When I reflect on where the team is right now (Oklahoma is expected to have a very stout defense and an offense with unknowns surrounding the QB and OL), I feel like 8-4 or 9-3 is the most likely outcome for 2024, and that Oklahoma will trend up in subsequent years.

I agree that Oklahoma will have more "must-see" games in the SEC (one of the driving factors behind the realignment). I think Oklahoma will have a lot of tough games, and I think they will win the majority of them.

Over the next 5 years, I expect a mid-tier SEC with the following teams: Texas A&M, Mizzu, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas, LSU, Florida and either Kentucky or Arkansas.

Over that same 5 years, I think Oklahoma along with Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee will rise to the top.
That is a fair write up, but just remember this, the teams that you have as “mid tier” sec programs over the next 5 yrs, have won 6 National championships since OU’s last.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
That is a fair write up, but just remember this, the teams that you have as “mid tier” sec programs over the next 5 yrs, have won 6 National championships since OU’s last.

And, with the exception of LSU, all we've played have a losing record to OU during that same time. (We haven't played Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss or Kentucky during that time frame.)

That brings up an interesting question for Sooners -- will being in the SEC hasten a national championship, or delay it. I'd argue speed it up: we're already getting a recruiting bump, we're now on the right side of the ESPN spin machine, and our revenue has kicked it up another gear too.

Last edited:
And, with the exception of LSU, all we've played have a losing record to OU during that same time. (We haven't played Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss or Kentucky during that time frame.)

That brings up an interesting question for Sooners -- will being in the SEC hasten a national championship, or delay it. I'd argue speed it up: we're already getting a recruiting bump, we're now on the right side of the ESPN spin machine, and our revenue has kicked it up another gear too.
Lol espn is a spin machine for the big 10 buddy. Speed it up? Christ you’re funny dude. Oh, and Ole miss would’ve beaten y’all’s ass at any point in the last 2 years 😂

Lol espn is a spin machine for the big 10 buddy. Speed it up? Christ you’re funny dude. Oh, and Ole miss would’ve beaten y’all’s ass at any point in the last 2 years 😂
Like they did Texas Tech???? Too funny. Do you guys even watch football ? Or just reruns in black and white under Johnny Majors?

Last edited:
lol so is he from IMG like you said or not ?
LMAO? You are going to have to find the quote. Jayden Jackson who will be starting at DT and David Stone a 5 star recruit freshman as well both played at IMG. Stone is from our local Carl Albert High School before transferring to IMG for his senior year. I hope that helps. Do you read posts or glance?

If you make the playoffs now, you will definitely be more battle tested than you have been in the past. So you should be able to better that 0-4 record in the CFP.

Reactions: trj
I just dont GAF about OK or TX

Yep, this isn’t easy for me to admit, but Sept. 21 will be the first and maybe the only time I’m going to get behind the mantra “Vols by Fiddy!!!”

Damn, that was hard to type. Seriously though, after reading a few of the posts here, I honestly hope it’s so bad that the Sooners are too embarrassed to take the field after halftime.

Yep, this isn’t easy for me to admit, but Sept. 21 will be the first and maybe the only time I’m going to get behind the mantra “Vols by Fiddy!!!”

Damn, that was hard to type. Seriously though, after reading a few of the posts here, I honestly hope it’s so bad that the Sooners are too embarrassed to take the field after halftime.

Well, I don't know about my Sooner brethren, but that's certainly not the spirit that I was hoping to stir up with our new conference mates. I've always liked and admired the Big Orange T, and thought it was a wonderful move when they hired Heup. At the time, people were wondering if UCF's success was due to head coach Scott Frost or OC Heup. I didn't know much about Scott Frost's coaching abilities, but I knew Heupel was a coaches son who loved film study, practiced leadership by showing the importance of off-season and the little things, and was a student of the game.

What I've been trying to say (evidently not very well), is that Oklahoma -- like Tennessee -- has a rich history and long tradition. Oklahoma also has a fanatical and supportive fan base. The state lives and breathes college football. And we've heard for years about SEC dominance in a way that feels dismissive of our tradition. Tennessee has this game circled. Oklahoma has the game circled too (and every other conference game this season). September 21st will be dog a fight and I was laboring under the belief that Vol fans might appreciate this background prior to the game. We know Heup is bringing hell with him -- there will be hell waiting for him too.

Anyway, heartfelt good luck n every game except Sept 21st to a program I believe is trending up.

Well, I don't know about my Sooner brethren, but that's certainly not the spirit that I was hoping to stir up with our new conference mates. I've always liked and admired the Big Orange T, and thought it was a wonderful move when they hired Heup. At the time, people were wondering if UCF's success was due to head coach Scott Frost or OC Heup. I didn't know much about Scott Frost's coaching abilities, but I knew Heupel was a coaches son who loved film study, practiced leadership by showing the importance of off-season and the little things, and was a student of the game.

What I've been trying to say (evidently not very well), is that Oklahoma -- like Tennessee -- has a rich history and long tradition. Oklahoma also has a fanatical and supportive fan base. The state lives and breathes college football. And we've heard for years about SEC dominance in a way that feels dismissive of our tradition. Tennessee has this game circled. Oklahoma has the game circled too (and every other conference game this season). September 21st will be dog a fight and I was laboring under the belief that Vol fans might appreciate this background prior to the game. We know Heup is bringing hell with him -- there will be hell waiting for him too.

Anyway, heartfelt good luck n every game except Sept 21st to a program I believe is trending up.
he is a georgia fan. most SEC fans still aren't happy about Arkansas and South Carolina joining the conference in the 90s. most people miss the days where we just beat each other up and local rivalries and bragging rights. doesn't much matter to someone from small town TN/GA/AL/MS to have bragging rights over someone in OK, or CA, or anywhere else. but bragging rights over that school next door, those neighbors across the ways? Priceless.

I think a lot of inward looking fandom comes from the days of hugely biased media, and being left out of a lot of national awards when we might have been more deserving than the media darlings in the Big 10. its only recently that the rest of the nation has found out how good the SEC is, but we have always known. so the core SEC will always matter more to older fans than outside recognition. hence the mutt pulling for UT when we face the new blood.

Sooner AV team could use some "tips" from Vol Social Media Team...

ha-gay-calling.gif

The problem with this thread and Oklahoma fans began with Tinkerdicker or whatever his name is (I suppose I could go back and find his real name but that one fits well).
Anyone that’s watched college football closely for the past 40 years knows that Oklahoma is historically one of the top 15 teams, period. But, comparing Oklahoma’s accomplishments (playing in a 6, 7, 8, and finally a 12 team conference) to a team that has played in a minimum of a 10 team conference since the early 1930’s is stupid. The clown comes on here bragging about 50 conference championships, 6 or 7 national championships, yada, yada, yada. We don’t care. No one that’s a founding member of the 10 team SEC cares.
50 conference championships with just over 100 years of conference affiliation (1 championship for every 2 years). That’s comical to anyone in the SEC. That doesn’t exactly make the case for a strong conference, does it. Take off the Sooner glasses and look at it from anyones perspective outside of the Sooner fan base that has an IQ of 70 or more.
You’re possibly more reasonable than Tinkerdicker and might add value to the board if you back away from Big 8 and Big 12 ledge. Y’all are in the SEC now where no one dominates very long. The recent Bama and Georgia success is an anomaly in the SEC. The Sooners aren’t going to average 10 to 11 regular season games in the SEC per year. The Sooners will surely have some great years but dominate year in and year out as they have in the Big 8 / 12, they will not.
Lastly, you’ll never catch me on your board, ever. I don’t go to any other teams boards to talk trash before the game and I never talk trash to any fan if my Vols win. To me that’s poor sportsmanship and trashy. Never as a player or a fan. I’m proud of my Vols. If you’re good you don’t need to brag. Oklahoma is one of those teams that shouldn’t have to boast and brag about accomplishments. We all know. Just talk football with us without pumping your chest and you’ll be fine here.

I wasn’t referring to your posts. You seem like cool guy. I’m actually a member from a rival team (GA) but I enjoy talking football on this site. Like you I joined a few years ago before a big TN-GA matchup. This forum has some very knowledgeable CFB fans and I’ve enjoyed remaining a member for that reason. For the most part these TN fans are pretty respectful so long as you act the same. Obviously there is always a few assholes in the bunch, but even these guys are usually entertaining. You might think of sticking around after your matchup with TN, this is a pretty good CFB site to discuss things.

I wasn’t referring to your posts. You seem like cool guy. I’m actually a member from a rival team (GA) but I enjoy talking football on this site. Like you I joined a few years ago before a big TN-GA matchup. This forum has some very knowledgeable CFB fans and I’ve enjoyed remaining a member for that reason. For the most part these TN fans are pretty respectful so long as you act the same. Obviously there is always a few assholes in the bunch, but even these guys are usually entertaining. You might think of sticking around after your matchup with TN, this is a pretty good CFB site to discuss things.
Once they realize BVS is a real thing… up to and including the fact The Mouse surely hates us, they’ll be on better footing.

VN Store

Back