Stan Drayton confirmed as RB coach (merged)

Right, because the main goal of every BCS school should be to use players in a way that will help them get drafted higher rather than in a way that will best help the school win games.

Surely, you are not arguing that UT doesn't seek to help players transition to the NFL.

That's why we have the talent we do.

Urban's system didn't prevent Chad Jackson from being the third WR taken in the 2006 draft. The Patriots took him. I think they know what they are doing.

That was pre-'Tebow for Heisman' game planning.

Surely, you are not arguing that UT doesn't seek to help players transition to the NFL.

So, if Fulmer hires a guy that runs an offense similar to Meyer he's doing his players a disservice?

this thread gave me a reason to pull out this smilie

10.gif

beat that!

No I am not. I am arguing that UT shouldn't base how they use the talent they have on how an NFL team will use them. Should we never line Jones up at QB again because he won't do it in the NFL?

So, if Fulmer hires a guy that runs an offense similar to Meyer he's doing his players a disservice?

Yep. At least the ones who play QB, WR, or RB and want to play in the NFL someday. I don't know if it effects O-lineman as much or not, but we do show what they can do in an NFL-like system as well.

Yep. At least the ones who play QB, WR, or RB and want to play in the NFL someday. I don't know if it effects O-lineman as much or not, but we do show what they can do in an NFL-like system as well.
I am pretty sure that Darren McFadden lining up at QB and throwing the ball on occasion won't hurt his draft status.

you cant take lucas taylor over percy harvin sry

See... kpt gets the point, at least. Some of you have missed that.

Percy is the more talented reciever. Lucas is the guy who benefited from the system his offense ran.

I've seen DeShawn Wynn playing for the Packers this season. Chad Jackson is returning punts for the Patriots. Chris Leak is on the Bears roster. Andre Caldwell and Cornelius Ingram (TE) will soon join them. Something tells me that Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin are going to get drafted, as well.

Percy is the more talented reciever. Lucas is the guy who benefited from the system his offense ran.

Ohio State's offense is about as balanced as UT's. Ted Ginn was a top 10 draft pick. He had less yards receiving that year than Lucas had this year. If Lucas declared early, do you think he'd fare as well?

Percy will be drafted very high. Urban's system has given him an opportunity to show he can play football. When he works out for scouts, he'll show that he's a physical phenom. He'll be a top ten pick. Lucas Taylor may not be drafted, regardless of his production next season.

I've seen DeShawn Wynn playing for the Packers this season. Chad Jackson is returning punts for the Patriots. Chris Leak is on the Bears roster. Andre Caldwell and Cornelius Ingram (TE) will soon join them. Something tells me that Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin are going to get drafted, as well.

That's not what I'm arguing, although I don't know what will happen to Tebow. He's in a high-injury risk profession, so his insurance premiums would certainly be higher than if he was in system that say... allowed only 4 sacks all year long.

Harvin will get drafted. He's extremely talented. The question is could he have improved his NFL draft status had he played in a system like UT instead of CUM's. I think so because he could have better demonstrated his potential. The better proven a player is in a system more similiar to the one he will be joining, the lower the risk for NFL teams.

You know, you're right. I bet Alex Smith is ticked at Meyer for how low he went in the draft. I'm sure Reggie Bush is still fuming at Norm Chow for not using him like a pro team would. Otherwise, he could have been a top draft pick.

Lucas Taylor reminds me of Joey Kent, good route runners, catches most everything, solid, but not spectacular.

That's not what I'm arguing, although I don't know what will happen to Tebow. He's in a high-injury risk profession, so his insurance premiums would certainly be higher than if he was in system that say... allowed only 4 sacks all year long.

Havin will get drafted. He's extremely talented. The question is could he have improved his NFL draft status had he played in a system like UT instead of CUM's. I think so because he could have better demonstrated his potential. The better proven a player is in a system more similiar to the one he will be joining, the lower the risk for NFL teams.

Ainge won't get drafted higher than Tebow, regardless of how many times he was sacked. The same offensive line will return next season. The sack total will go way up. Why? The next QB will hold the ball longer than 3 seconds every now and then.

Bottom line: You are saying that UT's system is more desirable for coaches and players. The facts do not support that claim.

You know, you're right. I bet Alex Smith is ticked at Meyer for how low he went in the draft. I'm sure Reggie Bush is still fuming at Norm Chow for not using him like a pro team would. Otherwise, he could have been a top draft pick.

Huh? Reggie Bush ran the ball in college just as he does in the NFL.

Ainge won't get drafted higher than Tebow, regardless of how many times he was sacked. The same offensive line will return next season. The sack total will go way up. Why? The next QB will hold the ball longer than 3 seconds every now and then.

Ainge is a top 5 QB. If Tebow gets through college without injury, we'll have to see where he places to settle it, but that is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Mel Kiper rankings on
Quarterbacks
1. Matt Ryan, Boston College
2. Brian Brohm, Louisville
3. Joe Flacco, Delaware
4. Erik Ainge, Tennessee
5. John David Booty, USC

VN Store

Back