Student football tickets

It doesn't matter what you argue about...many students are simply arguing that "we want free tickets because they used to be free and we liked them better when they were free."

Gas was an easy example, it could be anything. I liked videogames better when they were only 20.00 or so. Unfortunately, that was for the Super Nintendo. I know that we use Xbox360 now, but I think games should still cost 20.00 not 60.00.

The AD has higher costs. They need money. The idea to add on to the student fee was rejected. They still needed money. They put on a fee for student tickets that is 100% optional, rather than burden the general student population.

If students can manage to save 25 cents a day, they can afford a season's worth of tickets. It costs 12.86 a game when you buy a season ticket. That's one trip to Moe's, one trip to the movies, a case of natty light, 2 shots at the bar, a late night trip to gus' when you don't need more food anyway, a couple of unnecessary smoothies, half a tshirt, and so on.

It's not a big deal, and it's not an out of the ordinary or unreasonable amount of money. I will pay my 12.86 a game to see my Vols play. My season will cost 30.00 less than my one ticket to Florida last year.

And again, my main point is not necessarily the price as it is the principle behind the whole thing. Again, instead of having the students make up this $1.3 million or so, how about having our underachieving football coach feel/share some pain? Heck, it's a lot easier to swollaw a price increase like this if the team is going to BCS bowls every 4-5 years or winning SEC championships every 5 years or so. But to do thise following the past few seasons where we are a 9 win team on average the last 5 years and apparently in neutral or regressing, people are going to be a little upset about it.

To me, this is something that's been a long time coming. They put it off as long as possible.

And again, my main point is not necessarily the price as it is the principle behind the whole thing. Again, instead of having the students make up this $1.3 million or so, how about having our underachieving football coach feel/share some pain? Heck, it's a lot easier to swollaw a price increase like this if the team is going to BCS bowls every 4-5 years or winning SEC championships every 5 years or so. But to do thise following the past few seasons where we are a 9 win team on average the last 5 years and apparently in neutral or regressing, people are going to be a little upset about it.

Bingo!

So are you saying that market economics lead to Phil's raise? I was unaware other high profile opportunities were beating his door down; or was this a preemptive strike to keep him from looking? :)

Add Summit to that list. Heck, you can argue that Hamilton spent us into the situation we are in right now by rewarding Phil these outrageous raises/extensions. Now, because of his mismanagment of Fulmer, the students have to bail him out at $90 a pop.

The budget shortage was obviously more than a million dollars. Phil's raise wasn't a million. Not even close. Rising costs department wide does not equal a million more dollars for Phil.

My answer would be look for the fat and trim it. It's way to easy to just capriciously raise prices to make up the difference. Thats tax and spend economics...

I've decided that I'm ok with paying the $90. I now will feel more justified in bitching about Fulmer and any short comings the team has...because I am now paying his increased salary.

Add Summit to that list. Heck, you can argue that Hamilton spent us into the situation we are in right now by rewarding Phil these outrageous raises/extensions. Now, because of his mismanagment of Fulmer, the students have to bail him out at $90 a pop.
Stop pontificating as if Hamilton is breaking the bank. Fulmer is about 6th in the SEC in salary right now. Good luck replacing him with a guy you want for less. Similarly, extensions are a way of life in college football.

I've decided that I'm ok with paying the $90. I now will feel more justified in bitching about Fulmer and any short comings the team has...because I am now paying his increased salary.

All this crap we hear about Fulmer being a Vol through and through and what not is pure rubbish. It's a pure money grab and legacy building at this point. Just keep the money rolling and let me stay around long enough to pass Neyland or stay on long enough to get 200 career victories.

Fulmer is about 6th in the SEC in salary right now. Good luck replacing him with a guy you want for less.

Who said replace him for the same amount? All he said was the raises were not needed. Phil Fulmer is in no way a hot prospect in the coaching market. So why give him the raise????

Stop pontificating as if Hamilton is breaking the bank. Fulmer is about 6th in the SEC in salary right now. Good luck replacing him with a guy you want for less. Similarly, extensions are a way of life in college football.

If you told Fulmer today, right now, that you were going to freeze his salary, what kind of leverage would he have? He would learn to love it and continue to be making $2 million dollars. He knows that there is no where else he could make that kind of money for the type of results we've gotten over the past few seasons (outside of Iowa, maybe).

Who said replace him for the same amount? All he said was the raises were not needed. Phil Fulmer is in no way a hot prospect in the coaching market. So why give him the raise????

It doesn't matter what you or I think of Fulmer. If you want to kick him to the curb tomorrow, fine. But it's going to cost $2 million+ no matter who the coach is. And it's going to be a 5 year contract with rolling extensions no matter who the coach is. It's a moot point.

Or extension? Oh... nevermind. The extensions are for helping recruiting. :unsure:

It doesn't matter what you or I think of Fulmer. If you want to kick him to the curb tomorrow, fine. But tt's going to cost $2 million+ no matter who the coach is. And it's going to be a 5 year contract with rolling extensions no matter who the coach is. It's a moot point.

Fulmer is not the only coach out there that could win 9 games a year here, and most would could do it for less than $2 million.

Fulmer is not the only coach out there that could win 9 games a year here, and most would could do it for less than $2 million.

That's a great fantasy and all, but there's no way a coach averaging 9 wins a year at Tennessee wouldn't command $2 million in today's market. There are about 7 coaches in the SEC making that much right now.

That's a great fantasy and all, but there's no way a coach averaging 9 wins a year at Tennessee wouldn't command $2 million in today's market. There are about 7 coaches in the SEC making that much right now.

And 6 of those 7 have won SEC titles more recently than Phil has (Richt, Meyer, Saban, Miles, Spurrier, and Tuberville).

There are two basic lines of thinking when it comes to handling rising operating costs. Hamilton chose the option of increasing price. I believe in the notion of cutting the fat first before you have to resort to increasing price. There is PLENTY of fat to be trimmed over there. You have an overpaid women's basketball coach (talk about not having a firm grasp of fundamental economics), an overpaid football coach, and several other men's sports that could be audited and looked at (we have to keep the Title IX regulators happy). Plus, by cutting costs, you are at least making an effort to not tack on another discretionary cost to students that are already being hosed by rising education costs at the same university, where rates seemingly go up higher than the rate of inflation every year.
How do you "tack on" a discretionary cost?

It has everything to do with it. Merit pay... He hasn't done anything recently to deserve that kind of money.

One last time . . . I am not commenting whatsoever on the job CPF is doing right now.

The median income for SEC football coaches is around $2 million and rising. It doesn't matter if we fire CPF tomorrow and bring in Coach Joe Blow. If he has any success whatsoever the market says we are going to be paying him at least $2 million per year and he will have a 5 year contract with annual extensions.

It has everything to do with it. Merit pay... He hasn't done anything recently to deserve that kind of money.
You're going to have a tough time being taken seriously if you're calling for "merit pay" in the same thread where you say Summit is overpaid.

Students have discretionary income (money after essentials are paid for). By making them pay for these tix, their discretionary income is reduced by $90. That is what I'm saying. :ermm:
Nobody is "making" them pay anything. Period. Hence, the definition of a discretionary cost.

VN Store

Back