Student football tickets

Actually I would prefer they took Dickey to court and forced him to explain why UT was forced to pay 2 worthless bball coaches millions of dollars to leave.

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. I am a student and an SGA member.

What pisses me off most about this is that students are fronting the bill for Philip Fulmer’s raise. The same Philip Fulmer which has not won an SEC title in 10 years. He not lead the Vols to a National Championship game in 10 years. He has not protected Neyland (our house) for 10 years. Why the hell should I have to pay for his extremely high and undeserving salary and raises? This is completely ridiculous.

Also, they say they want to work with the SGA, but look at the timing. Mike Hamilton planned this so he did not to have to deal with the SGA, as the SGA had its last meeting of the year on Tuesday. He announced this to the SGA on Wednesday. This will not allow the SGA to speak in behalf of the students. This is just like last summer when he decided to reduce the number of student tickets for basketball games during the summer. So he would not have to deal with the student uproar.

Finally, I 100% do not want these tickets tied in with my student ID. If I am going to buy them, then I should be able to sell them like all the other students at other SEC schools do. I am going to be really upset if I can’t sell my tickets because they still make us use our ID’s.

So it's OK if you can make a few bucks? You must be a Political Science major.

I think the point hes making is that we want to be able to take wives/friends who are not in school into the games with tickets that we pay for.

My wife already has to pay $100 a semester to get the tickets that are tied to the id she is issued. Tack on 180 for the tickets and now Im almost paying $300 for what used to be free tickets. Not to mention that I cant take any of my friends from out of town to ball games.

I don't want the tickets sellable. If they are, every yahoo will put in for tickets and there won't be as much for students that actually want to go to the game. The allotment of tickets is much less than the total number of students. If you allow people to sell them, every jerk will put in for them to try and make a buck. Then you'll have a bunch of fans from other schools sitting in the student section. Can you imagine? No thanks, keep them tied to the student ID.

I don't want the tickets sellable. If they are, every yahoo will put in for tickets and there won't be as much for students that actually want to go to the game. The allotment of tickets is much less than the total number of students. If you allow people to sell them, every jerk will put in for them to try and make a buck. Then you'll have a bunch of fans from other schools sitting in the student section. Can you imagine? No thanks, keep them tied to the student ID.
Agreed.

You would think the convenience of not having pick up tiks each week would be worth something too.

Inflation.....it' a lifelong moment.

Completely agree. I think you should be able to sell them to fellow students in the event that something comes up and you can't go, but I don't think you should be able to sell them to the general public. If we were being charged full price for tickets then sure you should be able to sell them to anyone, but not at $15 a pop.

I brought a friend of mine that is a Vanderbilt student over for the first half of that game and he hardly even opened his mouth and people were threatening him and stuff. I can't even imagine how heated things would get if it turned into a free for all.

You would think paying $200 for 1 REQUIRED textbook would make a student more angry than an optional $90.

If i'm going to be pay for these tickets which is supposedly to help compensate for the new salaries of coaches, i had better see some W's on the board

I expect the student activity fee to be GONE from our tuition immediately if this is true.

Unless the school has produced meticulous records indicating how each dollar of the student activities fee has been allocated to date, I think it's a pretty easy argument for them to say that the student activity fee had never actually funded the students' football privileges and that budgetary constraints call for a fee to now be charged. I'm not saying it's a fair argument, but it's probably one that can be made.

Also, I am curious as to wether UT, like many other schools, allows you to petition to have the activities fee removed from your charges (assuming, of course, you agree not to attend the funded activities). It has come up in litigation in the past, where students have claimed that the activities fee funds student groups and activities that are abhorrent to the claimant's religious or political views.

If i'm going to be pay for these tickets which is supposedly to help compensate for the new salaries of coaches, i had better see some W's on the board

Yeah, maybe we'll do better at home this year than we did last season.

So it's ok for Hamilton to be a shrewd businessman, but not students?

Trying to break even on a budget using the only means left to you, yet still giving students a deep discount on seeing their team is being a shrewd businessman. As costs increase, so must revenue.

Taking advantage of a program that gives students $12.86 tickets and selling them for some outrageous profit is not being a shrewd businesman. It's taking cheap tickets from the hands of other students that want to go. If I wanted to go to the game, and couldn't get a ticket at the discounted price quoted to me by the AD, yet some student is selling one for the "great" price of 50.00, I'd pop that idiot in the mouth. To me, it's just as bad as entering the student lottery for SECCG tickets, or away tickets and selling them marked up 500%.

Trying to break even on a budget using the only means left to you, yet still giving students a deep discount on seeing their team is being a shrewd businessman. As costs increase, so must revenue.

Taking advantage of a program that gives students $12.86 tickets and selling them for some outrageous profit is not being a shrewd businesman. It's taking cheap tickets from the hands of other students that want to go. If I wanted to go to the game, and couldn't get a ticket at the discounted price quoted to me by the AD, yet some student is selling one for the "great" price of 50.00, I'd pop that idiot in the mouth. To me, it's just as bad as entering the student lottery for SECCG tickets, or away tickets and selling them marked up 500%.
If you hit someone for shrewdly parlaying an investment into a profit, I hope they beat you into a coma.

If you hit someone for shrewdly parlaying an investment into a profit, I hope they beat you into a coma.

I don't see student tickets as something to be invested in. The idea is to give students an affordable way to see football. If students are going to buy them for the purpose of resale, they are going against the spirit of the program. If they're ok with buying them for 12.86 a game, and selling them to other students, or anyone, for 50+, then let's just put the tickets in the hands of the AD all together, and have students pay full price.

Hamilton explains reasons for charging students for football tickets : Football : GoVolsXtra.com

In a continuing effort to offset a projected athletic budget shortfall of more than $3 million next year, the University of Tennessee will begin this season charging students for football tickets.

But what about this...

League to pay UT $3M to use Neyland : m.govolsxtra.com: University of Tennessee sports from The News Sentinel

A new Tennessee football team will call Neyland Stadium home beginning with an April 12 game.
The new All American Football League (AAFL) kicks off in 2008 with a Knoxville-based team made up of players from UT and other schools in the immediate region who have four-year college degrees.\

The AAFL will pay the University of Tennessee $3 million for the use of Neyland Stadium.

Other teams include Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Texas and Arkansas.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said he’s looking forward to the partnership.

“We’re excited about them coming here and looking forward to seeing some former UT student-athletes on the field,’’ Hamilton said.

“The $3 million will go into the athletic budget; our plan is to use it for some capital expenditure relating to football.’’

I don't see student tickets as something to be invested in. The idea is to give students an affordable way to see football. If students are going to buy them for the purpose of resale, they are going against the spirit of the program. If they're ok with buying them for 12.86 a game, and selling them to other students, or anyone, for 50+, then let's just put the tickets in the hands of the AD all together, and have students pay full price.
Students selling their tickets would simply be doing what smart business people do. The students would be using the discount granted to them as a benefit of attending the university as a means to lower the basis of their goods purchased, thus increasing profit. People use such benefits and status to their advantage all the time.

VN Store

Back