Tearing Down the Goal Posts

My HS coach used to always say, "Act like you've been here before". IOW's, winners don't need to act stupid when they win.

Probably a good rule of thimb but this has become one of the biggest cliches out there.

I say we tear those suckers down unless our kicker is having a stellar season. If he's on a roll don't jinx him. Kinda like a pitcher wearing the same underwear every start.

NCAA has put such stiff penalties on storming the field along with the cost involved to the school this should only be done if Bama loses IMO. 98 UF sure was fun but that was a different time.

I have 2 schools of thought on this. One, it's mostly the students wanting to have some fun. In the Ohio State video the goal posts weren't torn down. Just students congratulating the players. Pretty safe.

The second is, UT fans are quick to bring up that it's a top 10 program. Well, top 10 programs don't storm the field after a win. Hate to say it, but I can't recall Bama or UF ever storming the field....and UT fans are quick to point out that UF has only been relevant since 1990.

By storming the field you're essentially saying that your team did something monumental by its own standards. UT's standards should be higher than that.

Quality.

No home game this year warrants it. If we lose to Florida and Alabama this year and then beat one of those two teams next year then bring them down. There were so many people on the field after the Florida game that you could barely see the grass, and that was on the back end of a decade that we dominated. Plenty of people will say "Not at Tennessee" but when its happening it's real easy for those people to be so elated with everything going on and the emotions after a big win such as one of those more then likely would be, that you forget what you have claimed on a message board and suddenly find yourself standing on the 50 yard line watching the goal posts fall on either side of you, basking in the joy that comes with upsetting your hated rival, ESPECIALLY Alabama.

I have 2 schools of thought on this. One, it's mostly the students wanting to have some fun. In the Ohio State video the goal posts weren't torn down. Just students congratulating the players. Pretty safe.

The second is, UT fans are quick to bring up that it's a top 10 program. Well, top 10 programs don't storm the field after a win. Hate to say it, but I can't recall Bama or UF ever storming the field....and UT fans are quick to point out that UF has only been relevant since 1990.

By storming the field you're essentially saying that your team did something monumental by its own standards. UT's standards should be higher than that.

This ^.

If you consider yourself one of the all-time great football programs, then you don't act like it's some amazing accomplishment to win a game, no matter who it's against. Rushing the field puts you on par with the Iowa States of the world.

Reactions: 1 person
Assuming we lose to Bama and Florida this year, either of those wins at home next year would be worth of goal post tearing down.

This ^.

If you consider yourself one of the all-time great football programs, then you don't act like it's some amazing accomplishment to win a game, no matter who it's against. Rushing the field puts you on par with the Iowa States of the world.

This. I wouldnt hesitate to say that the majority of ppl trying to plan out this "storm the field" idea are under the age of 22.

When you storm the field, you lower your self-worth.

If it's a situational thing, I get it. Like I said before, a come-from-behind last second, hook and latter butt fumble type play to win the game against a team that's on it's way to the national championship or has kicked our azz for the last 10-15 yrs is understandable. You're in the moment, you're pulling half-chub and the team pulls off a miracle.

By all means, storm the dang field and slap them boys on the back.

Otherwise, winning is winning, and we have had a lot of that around here, albeit not recently

If Tennessee were to upset #1 Alabama at home then certain people are going to rush the field regardless of what anyone says.

i would love to beat bama at their place, stand up after the game and yawn, walk out slowly and quietly after the game, and go about business as usual. and of course, let all the bammers know that, "good luck with the rest of the season, maybe you'll be able to get us next year."

Lets change the question....

Can you climb a goal post?

Pretty sure the aye and nay voters would stay the same.

BTW...sober I'd be in the nay column.

I once saw Rod Wilks uproot a goalpost and use it as a toothpick.

Jimmy tore down the goalpost yesterday for winning the BCS NC.

ESPN tore down our goalpost b/c they hate us.

I heard Dave Hart was going to get rid of the goalpost and have Gruden just stand there with his hands up in the air.

That's all I got.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back