Tennessee Lady Vol News

Wouldn’t waste much time trying to guess lineups. Based on Kellie’s tenure so far we will all hate the original starting lineup and sub patterns and it will evolve until SEC play. I hate it, but to be expected at this point.

I’d bet my bottom dollar Tess starts over Jewel to begin the season and everyone’s head will explode.

Would love to see her start the right 5 (wells, spear, Jackson, Hollingshed and key) and have a tight 7-8 player rotation. But I highly doubt that happens.
Jewel will start from day one, her pedigree is too strong to indicate otherwise. She was elite in the ACC the past three years, those type players don’t transfer to sit behind a Darby type. She is the real deal.

My hunch is that by the end of the SEC season, LSU, UT and SC will be ranked 1-3 in that order. I also think SC will start slow and finish much stronger. The tough SC schedule combined with all the new players will cause some losses early in the season, and likely even in the middle of the season. I wouldn’t bet against them come SEC tourney time, but I wouldn’t bet against UT or LSU either, just that SC will get better as the season progresses. Gonna be a great season to watch as it all plays out. Best of luck everyone.

As for Sc’s likely starting 5, it’s Cardoso at 5, Raven at 1, PaoPao at 2. Those are locks. Perhaps a surprise, but I think Kitts starts at the 3 and Watkins at the 4. Hall is the one everyone expects to start at 3, Kitts is pushing her hard. And Feagin is expected to start at the 4, but I think Watkins eclipses her due mostly to defense. Fulwiley is going to play a good bit at the 2 and PaoPao is going to play some 1.

Those are the top 7. Tessa Johnson probably only sees spot duty this year unless she arrives with her 3pt shot ready for college ball, but she needs time defensively. Same for Jah, spot duty year one. So this SC team will have a shorter bench than year’s past, not sure if that is good or bad.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t waste much time trying to guess lineups. Based on Kellie’s tenure so far we will all hate the original starting lineup and sub patterns and it will evolve until SEC play. I hate it, but to be expected at this point.

I’d bet my bottom dollar Tess starts over Jewel to begin the season and everyone’s head will explode.

Would love to see her start the right 5 (wells, spear, Jackson, Hollingshed and key) and have a tight 7-8 player rotation. But I highly doubt that happens.
What might happen is that Key and Jackson start at the four and five and Tess starts at the three with Jewell and Destinee at the one and two. Certainly could happen, but doesn't mean Tess will get the most minutes at any position. I don't think many thought that Tess should be a starter last season, but she was. I think there is at least a 50 50 chance she keeps the starting job. Personally I'd like to see another player that is a stronger rebounder start over Tess.

What might happen is that Key and Jackson start at the four and five and Tess starts at the three with Jewell and Destinee at the one and two. Certainly could happen, but doesn't mean Tess will get the most minutes at any position. I don't think many thought that Tess should be a starter last season, but she was. I think there is at least a 50 50 chance she keeps the starting job. Personally I'd like to see another player that is a stronger rebounder start over Tess.
Shouldn't have to rely on your shooting guard for rebounds....

By the middle/toward the end Tess started becoming a liability. Defensively and offensively, she couldn’t get her shot up against the better defensive teams. And I feel like one of our worst defensive players last yr. Which they were all terrible. Knowing what all Jewel brings to the team, how do you not put her in the starting lineup? I would like to see how a lineup of Jas, Jewel, Kea, Jill, and Key would do at some point.

By the middle/toward the end Tess started becoming a liability. Defensively and offensively, she couldn’t get her shot up against the better defensive teams. And I feel like one of our worst defensive players last yr. Which they were all terrible. Knowing what all Jewel brings to the team, how do you not put her in the starting lineup? I would like to see how a lineup of Jas, Jewel, Kea, Jill, and Key would do at some point.
It looks like a big reason Tess gets the time she gets is her basketball IQ. Have you noticed she runs every huddle on the floor when she's out there?

I love this debate... Why Powell over Wells? Just curious 🤔 I think both will bring something different. I think they'll play about the same number of minutes to be honest

I love this debate... Why Powell over Wells? Just curious 🤔 I think both will bring something different. I think they'll play about the same number of minutes to be honest
I would submit that I’ll stand by and wait for the lineup and trust Kellie… but… since we have so many professional coaches up in here, I’ll stand down and watch. 🍿

Ehh.. Kelly did have Rickea coming off the bench last yr too for a few games. So… I want to put faith in Kellie, but you can’t tell me there weren’t A LOT of games last yr that the lineup wasn’t conducive to the matchup. Whether that was with the starting lineup or substitutions.

Ehh.. Kelly did have Rickea coming off the bench last yr too for a few games. So… I want to put faith in Kellie, but you can’t tell me there weren’t A LOT of games last yr that the lineup wasn’t conducive to the matchup. Whether that was with the starting lineup or substitutions.
Oh, lawd. Now ya dun it. Ya went and spelt CKH’s name wrong…. 😑

I like Powell for experience playing with this group and already having experience with the physicality of the SEC. It’ll probably take time for Wells to adjust. Not saying she can’t.

Somebody is fibbing:

Jill Hollingshead 6’-5”? Tamari Key 6’-6”? One of those are incorrect. At least 3” difference there…
Look at the players around TK and Jill. Karo is listed at 6'3", Sara and Rickea 6'2" and Tess 6'1". Jill 6'5". All looks right in relation to ea other.. So TK is at least 6'7". I'm not sure why they've always been reluctant to list her real height.
IMO Wells will eventually get the most mins bc she is a much better scorer. If she can play SEC level D, and I believe she can, she's PG1. That said, Powell will play alot and be a valuable contributor.
This is going to interesting. We all know Kellie and early season lineups, how she loves to mix and match and do unusual things. But sheeze gets serious early this season, with the trip to top 20 Fla St up the first week or so and Indiana not far behind. If she locks in on an obvious rotation early on, it will say alot about her own adjustments to the problems of early last year. I would LOVE to see it.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Because Jasmine Powell has a year of experience as a lady ball under her belt at Tennessee and Kelly has already called her out for having an amazing summer. To me that would probably give her the starting nod at the point guard if she continues an upward trend. You also have to remember that Jasmine Powell was considered one of the best point guards in the country during last year's preseason prior to losing her confidence. I don't think she has shown nearly what she can do. That's also remember that Jasmine Powell was a member of the all Big ten team before transferring and the Big ten is no slouch in women's basketball.

Because Jasmine Powell has a year of experience as a lady ball under her belt at Tennessee and Kelly has already called her out for having an amazing summer. To me that would probably give her the starting nod at the point guard if she continues an upward trend. You also have to remember that Jasmine Powell was considered one of the best point guards in the country during last year's preseason prior to losing her confidence. I don't think she has shown nearly what she can do. That's also remember that Jasmine Powell was a member of the all Big ten team before transferring and the Big ten is no slouch in women's basketball.
Please Dak… no centered takes… 😉

Is this like a shiny new toy backup quarterback thingie?

Will be interesting as to how it turns out as far as starters and backups cause no one can guess what Coach Kellie might do. We all have our own plans, but hers is the only one that counts. JMO I think it will be tough to keep Wells out of the starting position basically because of her three point shooting skills. Regardless it looks like a 25 15 situation at the point with both players getting plenty of playing time. That position brought us 10 points per game and 35 percent shooting last season. I'm looking for 17 and 45 percent shooting this season. If Wells can come close to the 45.5 percent three point shooting from last season how you keep her off the floor especially with her passing skills and ability to attack the basket. If Powell has improved enough to top her were in for one great season cause we'll have the best point guard situation in the SEC.

VN Store

Back