Tennessee Lady Vol News

This season is put up or shut up time for Kellie. There should be no reason this isn’t at least an Elite Eight team. If we fall short of that in our last year with Rickea then 2025 is going to be a hot seat year.

My first thought is that this is a bit aggressive, but it's actually very fair. E8 is a fair goal for this team. Let's say they go out in the S16 in 2024 and miss the S16 in 2025. Unless there are some serious mitigating circumstances, staff should definitely be on the hot seat at that point.

I'll say this though, our next hire has to be a 100% home run hire or we will never get "back".

This season is put up or shut up time for Kellie. There should be no reason this isn’t at least an Elite Eight team. If we fall short of that in our last year with Rickea then 2025 is going to be a hot seat year.
Logical question and I'll start off by saying I think we have elite 8 talent. Why is it the polls don't show us as being elite 8 but we all seem to have that expectation? The highest ranked we are in any poll is 9 so no experts truly think we will reach that. Again this is more just a discussion point.

Logical question and I'll start off by saying I think we have elite 8 talent. Why is it the polls don't show us as being elite 8 but we all seem to have that expectation? The highest ranked we are in any poll is 9 so no experts truly think we will reach that. Again this is more just a discussion point.
I believe the polls (or at least one poll) are trending in the right direction. Creme's most recent Way-to-Early poll has the LVs moving up 3 spots to 9, just outside of the Elite 8. We will get there. This year's team, in my opinion, is bound for the Final Four. GBO.

I believe the polls (or at least one poll) are trending in the right direction. Creme's most recent Way-to-Early poll has the LVs moving up 3 spots to 9, just outside of the Elite 8. We will get there. This year's team, in my opinion, is bound for the Final Four. GBO.
I think so too. I'm just curious as to the fan ultimatum to make elite 8. Let's say we beat sc and lsu, win the sec, but bounce in the sweet 16. Is the season then a failure to most fans?

I think so too. I'm just curious as to the fan ultimatum to make elite 8. Let's say we beat sc and lsu, win the sec, but bounce in the sweet 16. Is the season then a failure to most fans?
Most? Depends on where you draw the line regarding the LoM. 😉

Good point. I think, for better or worse, this is a sport defined by how well you do in the tournaments (SEC & NCAA). Most fans, including me, want to see the program continually moving forward in the right direction. After two back-to-back sweet 16s, it's understandable to have an E8 expectation for this season given the returners. This certainly isn't the "rebuilding" year many thought it would be at the start of last season.

However, it's too variable to know for sure. What if they win the SEC, the team excels in most areas, and get knocked out by an unbelievable performance from another team in the Sweet 16? IDK. Regardless, seeing improvement this year, whether it shows as many more Ws or a longer postseason run, should be expected.

Last edited:

I can tell you that would be a failure to most fans unless there were some bad circumstances (AND NO IM NOT PUTTING THAT IN THE ATMOSPHERE WE WANT A HEALTHY TEAM)! That would almost be like a tease of how well they were playing and then they couldn't reach their potential.

As far as the polls VS fan expectations our fans can be a lot but they've also been spoiled with success. But also we always expect the best from our ladies so that's to be expected.

I also think this is a big year for Kellie and i believe she knows that as well...

It's because voters correctly don't trust us as far as they could throw us. Everytime we've been highly ranked, like last year, it hasn't panned out. We have to prove ourselves.
That's why I say we'll know a successful season that moves the program forward when we see it. On paper E8 is the logical next step. But even more important to me is we start being truly competitive, and even winning some games against elite teams. No more looking like we don't belong on that level. We'll get a chance to do that really early. The trip to Fla. St should be really interesting.

That's BS. If that's how the season turns out, no one is going to be on the hot seat.

Tournament success is largely based on the matchups and draws. Heck, if Utah could hit free throws, LSU wouldn't have advanced out of the Sweet 16 last season.

I can tell you that unless something catastrophic happens, there's not going to be any coaching change anytime soon, no matter how many of you would like that.

My first thought is that this is a bit aggressive, but it's actually very fair. E8 is a fair goal for this team. Let's say they go out in the S16 in 2024 and miss the S16 in 2025. Unless there are some serious mitigating circumstances, staff should definitely be on the hot seat at that point.

I'll say this though, our next hire has to be a 100% home run hire or we will never get "back".

Last edited:
That's BS. If that's how the season turns out, no one is going to be on the hot seat.

Tournament success is largely based on the matchups and draws. Heck, if Utah could hit free throws, LSU wouldn't have advanced out of the Sweet 16 last season.

I can tell you that unless something catastrophic happens, there's not going to be any coaching change anytime soon, no matter how many of you would like that.
It's kind of sad how many would like her gone when we've won at the second highest clip in the sec in the last four years.

So you're cool to go six years with 0 E8 appearances and 0 SEC championships? I need one or the other within the next 2 seasons.

That being said, I believe CKH can do it, maybe this year. Do you not believe in her?

It's a different world in WCBB than when Pat coached - in too many ways to count, But Tennessee women's basketball is still one of the top brands.

I believe that Kellie and her staff is moving us back to prominence, but they're hamstrung in recruiting by the teams (e.g. LSU) that have unlimited NIL funds. I'm good with us being in the top 20 teams on a consistent basis.

Again, tournament championships are based on the bracket you draw and matchups. I certainly hope that we reach the Final Four this year, but things have to fall in place for that to happen. Remember after LSU squeaked by #2 seed Utah, then got lucky and drew #9 seed Miami in the Elite Eight to catapult them into the Final Fout.

So you're cool to go six years with 0 E8 appearances and 0 SEC championships? I need one or the other within the next 2 seasons.

That being said, I believe CKH can do it, maybe this year. Do you not believe in her?

That’s enough for you? With our tradition?

Last edited:
Really aren't there just about 3 sad sacks that want her gone? Most of us just want to see things continue to improve.
True that
I have no desire whatsoever to see a coaching change
but I have every desire to see a coach changing.
I said it before, this team (Jordan Horston notwithstanding) is much better and much deeper than last year's team
TK back, legit PG's, another year under Kea's back and she was by far IMHO the best player on the court in the Americas

But I DO want to see Coach Kellie grow in her ingame coaching and this to me is where we have to have improvement

Letting runs extend without calling timeouts,,not putting the best starters out to start the games thereby putting us continually in early deficits,,things like that,,, she, has to take responsibility to look at. Not growing in the coaching spot is what pushed Holly out...Period! And I 100% do not want to go that route again.

Kellie can't let that happen.
And this is something SHE CAN control!
And must

I watched Kellie lead the LV's run what was to me the best 4-year all-around run we ever had as a player, directly under Pat in her heyday...SO I know we have the right Coach...I don't want her to be Pat,, but I do want her to find her inner "Pat"...

True that
I have no desire whatsoever to see a coaching change
but I have every desire to see a coach changing.
I said it before, this team (Jordan Horston notwithstanding) is much better and much deeper than last year's team
TK back, legit PG's, another year under Kea's back and she was by far IMHO the best player on the court in the Americas

But I DO want to see Coach Kellie grow in her ingame coaching and this to me is where we have to have improvement

Letting runs extend without calling timeouts,,not putting the best starters out to start the games thereby putting us continually in early deficits,,things like that,,, she, has to take responsibility to look at. Not growing in the coaching spot is what pushed Holly out...Period! And I 100% do not want to go that route again.

Kellie can't let that happen.
And this is something SHE CAN control!
And must

I watched Kellie lead the LV's run what was to me the best 4-year all-around run we ever had as a player, directly under Pat in her heyday...SO I know we have the right Coach...I don't want her to be Pat,, but I do want her to find her inner "Pat"...
Praying AD White has had that exact conversation with her. Continuous improvement in the bidness where I’ve spent my career. Little reason to doubt Boyd, Donde and DW understand this process and concept. Kellie will come to understand it. One way or the other.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Tn Lady Vol 2023 – 2024 Basketball schedule
Date Day Opponent Location CST (time) Media Score Win/Loss Record
10/30/23 Mon Carson New. Knoxville 530pm EXHIBITION
11/05/23 Sun USA BB Knoxville 5:00pm EXHIBITION
11/07/23 Tue Florida A&M Knoxville 4:30pm SECN+
11/09/23 Thu Florida St. Florida St. 4:00pm ESPN
11/13/23 Mon Memphis Knoxville 4:30pm SECN+
11/19/23 Sun Troy Knoxville 12:00pm SECN+
11/23/23 Thu Indiana Ft. Myers, Fl. 4:00pm Fox
11/25/23 Sat Oklahoma Ft. Myers, Fl. 11:30am Fox
11/29/23 Wed Notre Dame Knoxville 4:00pm ESPN2
12/03/23 Sun Ohio St. Knoxville 4:00pm ESPN
12/06/23 Wed MTSU Huntsville, AL. TBA
12/10/23 Sun E. Kentucky Knoxville 1:00pm SECN+
12/19/23 Tue Wofford Knoxville 5:30pm SECN+
12/31/23 Sun Liberty Liberty 1:00pm ESPN+
01/04/24 Thu Auburn Auburn 7:00pm SEC
01/07/24 Sun Kentucky Knoxville 12:00pm SEC
01/11/24 Thu Florida Knoxville 6:00pm SEC
01/14/24 Sun Texas A&M Texas A&M 4:00pm SEC, ESPN2
01/16/24 Thu MS.St. Ms.St. 2:00pm SEC
01/21/24 Sun Vanderbilt Knoxville 2:00pm SEC
01/28/24 Sun Ole Miss Ole Miss 2:00pm ESPN, ESPN2
02/01/24 Thu Georgia Georgia 6:00pm SEC
02/04/24 Sun Missouri Missouri 12:00 SECN+
02/08/24 Thu Alabama Alabama 6:00pm SEC
02/12/24 Mon Arkansas Knoxville 6:00pm SEC
02/15/24 Thu S. Carolina Knoxville 6:00pm ESPN
02/18/24 Sun Vanderbilt Vanderbilt 1:00pm ESPN2, SEC
02/25/24 Sun LSU Knoxville 11:00am ESPN
02/29/24 Thu Texas A&M Knoxville 6:00pm SEC
03/03/24 Sun S. Carolina S. Carolina 11:00am ESPN

Schedule and times got a lot of early games this season.

Praying AD White has had that exact conversation with her. Continuous improvement in the bidness where I’ve spent my career. Little reason to doubt Boyd, Donde and DW understand this process and concept. Kellie will come to understand it. One way or the other.
I think Kellie is fully aware of her expectations. She won't even recruit a player unless the player has a desire to win a championship. I can also agree with you Coach Jumper regarding the timeouts and sometimes the starters thought it also sometimes takes time to see who the gamers are. Sometimes people who don't practice as well become a gamer.

As for it only being three people on here who want her gone, those three sure are loud to make it seem like there are more.

Again we'll have the third best talent in the SEC so she will have to out coach a couple of coaches to win the SEC title. This has been the situation every season she has been here. If there is a problem with her program it is getting enough talent to break through where we are now. This is her most talented team, but let's be real were not more talented than SC or LSU so that is again her problem.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back