Tennessee Lady Vol News

Massey’s is out. Click 2024. If I’m reading this correctly, our schedule is ranked #1.

Yes but they always start out with the final rankings of the last season when our schedule was number one. As the new schedule starts for everyone then the rankings will change. As you can see with the new rankings everyone starts out as number one.

They have us pre season number nine in the top team rankings. A little surprised they have SC number one as LSU is the defending champs.

Last edited:
Yes but they always start out with the final rankings of the last season when our schedule was number one. As the new schedule starts for everyone then the rankings will change. As you can see with the new rankings everyone starts out as number one.

They have us pre season number nine in the top team rankings. A little surprised they have SC number one as LSU is the defending champs.
Thank you for clarifying that, although they had our last season sos at #3. The preseason rankings have TN higher than Virginia Tech and Ohio State, who beat us last year, interesting.

Thank you for clarifying that, although they had our last season sos at #3. The preseason rankings have TN higher than Virginia Tech and Ohio State, who beat us last year, interesting.
They go by their own system although it is never that different from the rpi. This was the final sos for last season. Strength of Schedule (SOS) - Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com Our schedule will reap us a high sos this season as well. Winning more games will make our rpi a lot higher than the 15 we finaished with last season.

SC beat LSU by 24 last year, I guess that one left a mark. Those rankings you are seeing are not updated for Massey. In all the other polls you will see LSU, Uconn, Iowa, Utah, UCLA, Indiana, SC, VT, OSU and ND in the top 10 preseason rankings. The order will change between diff polls but those will be the top ten teams. UT will likely be 11 or 12 at the start. I would guess by season's end that UT will be ranked much higher than 11-12 as I think they will only lose 3-5 games all season prior to the NCAA tournament.

As for 2023-24 SOS, even though I am a SC homer, I have to say that they have the overall toughest schedule and Uconn has the toughest OOC schedule. In addition to the SEC schedule, SC plays the following ranked OOC opponents: Uconn, Utah, ND, MD, NC and Duke. Massey is giving a lot of weight to the B10 teams' SOS as he likely has that conference number 1 overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: glv98
SC beat LSU by 24 last year, I guess that one left a mark. Those rankings you are seeing are not updated for Massey. In all the other polls you will see LSU, Uconn, Iowa, Utah, UCLA, Indiana, SC, VT, OSU and ND in the top 10 preseason rankings. The order will change between diff polls but those will be the top ten teams. UT will likely be 11 or 12 at the start. I would guess by season's end that UT will be ranked much higher than 11-12 as I think they will only lose 3-5 games all season prior to the NCAA tournament.

As for 2023-24 SOS, even though I am a SC homer, I have to say that they have the overall toughest schedule and Uconn has the toughest OOC schedule. In addition to the SEC schedule, SC plays the following ranked OOC opponents: Uconn, Utah, ND, MD, NC and Duke. Massey is giving a lot of weight to the B10 teams' SOS as he likely has that conference number 1 overall.

The ESPN one has TN at 9th and i think we will be in the top 10. I think ND might be dropped a couple of spots because of the question mark over Olivia Miles. I do think they'll be good though

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The ESPN one has TN at 9th and i think we will be in the top 10. I think ND might be dropped a couple of spots because of the question mark over Olivia Miles. I do think they'll be good though
The most recent preseason poll I could find was at The Athletic. Had us at 12, ND at 10. That was last week of September.

Here we go again. TN schedule listed second, as having a good schedule. LSU first in a weak schedule.

Here we go again. TN schedule listed second, as having a good schedule. LSU first in a weak schedule.

A little surprised that our schedule was rated better than SC and then you add in the Conference schedules and were looking at number one again.

A little surprised that our schedule was rated better than SC and then you add in the Conference schedules and were looking at number one again.
I am surprised also since ESPN's own rankings have SC playing OOC against the #2,5,11,13 and 17 teams while UT plays the #4,10,11 and 20 ranked teams. Doesn't look close to me.

SC - UT
#2- #4
#5- #10
#11- #11
#13- #20
#17- NR

Last edited:
I'm not surprised i think they are pretty close and this is just the one they chose to write a about
Definitely close as you have to go past the five games and consider every opponent. Still the difference seems to be in their favor slightly in the beginning. We'll see how it plays out in real time as rankings will change some opponents being better and some worse than expected.

Just added it all up taking into consideration all the non conference opponents of Tennessee and SC using Massey ratings of the teams. Tennessee 1303 in 13 non conference games comes out to an average ranking of 100 for all non conference opponents. Sc playing only 12 non conference games comes out to a 111. The huge difference seems to be that Sc is playing three teams all ranked over 300 and Tennessee is only playing one. Whereas Sc is playing a little better against ranked teams are playing a lot worse against unranked teams. I would rate it so close that either could end up with the better schedule depending on how the season plays out. The big takeaway however is that the people that said Tennessee is playing a weak schedule this year turns out it is definitely looking like top three and could end up being number one again.

Just added it all up taking into consideration all the non conference opponents of Tennessee and SC using Massey ratings of the teams. Tennessee 1303 in 13 non conference games comes out to an average ranking of 100 for all non conference opponents. Sc playing only 12 non conference games comes out to a 111. The huge difference seems to be that Sc is playing three teams all ranked over 300 and Tennessee is only playing one. Whereas Sc is playing a little better against ranked teams are playing a lot worse against unranked teams. I would rate it so close that either could end up with the better schedule depending on how the season plays out. The big takeaway however is that the people that said Tennessee is playing a weak schedule this year turns out it is definitely looking like top three and could end up being number one again.
Well. This is gonna piss off the Dark Side…

Well. This is gonna piss off the Dark Side…
If they had played two teams in the 150 to 200 range instead of close to 400 it would've ranked higher. Still could depending on play this season. Still I can see where ESPN is coming from in ranking us number two. They took the entire non conference into consideration as they should not just the ranked teams. What I get out of it and I enjoyed the most is how the schedule complainers on this site just got hit with a dose of reality when it comes to scheduling. No one not even UConn beat Kellie in scheduling when you include all the games conference and non conference.

VN Store

Back