Tennessee Lady Vol News

Biggest news here - No Rickea.
She didn't exactly say that. If/when Rickea plays again this is exactly what she'll say. She won't announce it.

She kinda said she's literally still day to day, and even indicated maybe she has intermittently practiced. Apparently said the boot has been off some. I mean it sounded like playing could actually happen at some point.

Except I'm sure it won't anytime soon.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Avery Strickland is able to play (broken nose?)?

Even if she’s available I do not expect to see her against better competition.

She has a long way to go if she wants to crack the rotation. I would temper expectations, don’t expect her to contribute this season. Not a knock against the kid, but I do not think she was added with the expectation of playing/contributing this season. Staff said the “timing had to be right for her and for us.” We had a stacked roster and a little more room which meant we could bring her home and give her a chance. She has an opportunity and if she improves she can get some minutes the next year or two, based on a VERY small sample size she isn’t there yet.

In the one game she did play she missed a bunch of defensive assignments and showed no offense at all. Only got 2 minutes against Memphis.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

She has a long way to go if she wants to crack the rotation. I would temper expectations, don’t expect her to contribute this season. Not a knock against the kid, but I do not think she was added with the expectation of playing/contributing this season. Staff said the “timing had to be right for her and for us.” We had a stacked roster and a little more room which meant we could bring her home and give her a chance. She has an opportunity and if she improves she can get some minutes the next year or two, based on a VERY small sample size she isn’t there yet.

In the one game she did play she missed a bunch of defensive assignments and showed no offense at all. Only got 2 minutes against Memphis.
that's pure conjecture and your opinion,,,I happen to know they expect more than just garbage minuted out of this acquisition

I totally understand what you’re saying, and Avery playing 13 minutes in one game and 2 minutes in another game, then getting injured with a concussion/broken nose, sure didn’t help her chances to show what she can do. Avery had better field goal and 3 point percentages last year as a Freshman, averaging 20 minutes per game at Pitt, than Tess, as a Senior so far has right now in this season. Of course, we expect better from Tess.

I think it’s early to write off Avery this season, especially if, Heaven forbid, we have more injuries. We have ECU, Wofford, and Liberty coming up after OH ST, maybe she’ll be able to play some then, and we’ll see how she does.

Last edited:
Reactions: brittannica

Bait

I totally understand what you’re saying, and Avery playing 13 minutes in one game and 2 minutes in another game, then getting injured with a concussion/broken nose, sure didn’t help her chances to show what she can do. Avery had better field goal and 3 point percentages last year as a Freshman, averaging 20 minutes per game at Pitt, than Tess, as a Senior so far has right now in this season. Of course, we expect better from Tess.

I think it’s early to write off Avery this season, especially if, Heaven forbid, we have more injuries. We have ECU, Wofford, and Liberty coming up after OH ST, maybe she’ll be able to play some then, and we’ll see how she does.
She literally did better than most freshmen in the ACC… that’s some y’all would be dying to have. But I digress.

Give her minutes to Edia

Avery is 11th on the Depth Chart. She has a long way to go to Defend in the SEC let alone play for the Lady Vols. Hopefully, she develops, but I would imagine, she will be recruited over in the off-season and be one of those "cultural players" that coach Harper likes so much..........Whoever wrote the above comment, Avery has nothing on Tess Darby and if backing her next year, will sit most of the time as well. Avery is a cultural player. Not a full-time Power 5 player. For a track star, she is awfully slow on both ends of the court in Basketball.

Avery is 11th on the Depth Chart. She has a long way to go to Defend in the SEC let alone play for the Lady Vols. Hopefully, she develops, but I would imagine, she will be recruited over in the off-season and be one of those "cultural players" that coach Harper likes so much..........Whoever wrote the above comment, Avery has nothing on Tess Darby and if backing her next year, will sit most of the time as well. Avery is a cultural player. Not a full-time Power 5 player. For a track star, she is awfully slow on both ends of the court in Basketball.
She has a lot of energy, she can create her own shot, she can shoot 3’s, and she is brand new to our team. I’d like to see more than 15 minutes before I judge her possibilities and future.

Track star? In what events did she participate?

Here is what we got coming up and really a must to win them all as could be very bad losses as none are Q1 games. Thus far we have only lost to Q1 teams and I don't see us moving a whole lot off of the 88 Net ranking even if we win all these games. Maybe into the 55 to 60 range.

MTSU is on a neutral court and will be rated a Q2 game at present.
Eastern Kentucky is a Q4 game not going to help you much unless you win by 50.
Wofford Q4 same thing a must win by a lot home game.
Liberty is a road game but will still be Q3 at least at this time they are just out of Q2 so this game could change if we win and LIberty goes on to play well enough to get in the top 135 right now they are 136.
Auburn on the road is a Q2 game as they currently sit at number 76. I don't know if this will hold and they have to finish in the top 100 for it to remain Q2.
Kentucky is a home game and is rated Q4 at the present time. Kentucky is a bad team don't think they will play well enough this season to get it out of Q4.
Florida is a home game and they are currently rated 79 making this a Q3 game. It could stay there or drop to a Q4 as they would need to stay in the top 100 and the SEC is a tough place to win.

Certainly need all seven of these and then go from there. The games that are left that could be Q1 are at Texas A&M, at Miss St, at Ole Miss, at Georgia, at Alabama, South Carolina at home, at Vandy, LSU at home, Texas A&M at home, at South Carolina.

The Ole Miss, Georgia, and Vandy games are barely in the Q1 range so all could change as could home game with Texas A&M. At A&M, at Bama, and the two with SC and one with LSU are looking very solid Q1 games.

We lose a couple of these upcoming seven we could be looking at a tough road to even make the NCAA. We would have to win the majority of those Q1 games and if we can't win all of the next seven don't see us being able to do that. The hope would be to get through it 5 and 5. This would give us 12 and 5 and with current record 16 and 9. We then are probably fine if we go 3 of 4 and 19 and 10 in the regular season. Just like last season were in a hole we have to dig out of and it starts on a neutral court against a very good MTSU team.

Looked pretty fast and played great D to me… was actually wide open a ton in transition too. Actually scratch that she looked like one of the fastest on the floor. (Also broke the press with ease) Third in plus minus. “The SEC” superiority here is hilarious. ACC B10 wiping our behinds.

Last edited:
She has a lot of energy, she can create her own shot, she can shoot 3’s, and she is brand new to our team. I’d like to see more than 15 minutes before I judge her possibilities and future.
Apparently our whole team is struggling to mesh. Some look like All SEC one game then disappear the next. Really concerned about Jewell and JP after that Ohio State game having the worst mins on the team no argument. Hope practice has gone well

Here is what we got coming up and really a must to win them all as could be very bad losses as none are Q1 games. Thus far we have only lost to Q1 teams and I don't see us moving a whole lot off of the 88 Net ranking even if we win all these games. Maybe into the 55 to 60 range.

MTSU is on a neutral court and will be rated a Q2 game at present.
Eastern Kentucky is a Q4 game not going to help you much unless you win by 50.
Wofford Q4 same thing a must win by a lot home game.
Liberty is a road game but will still be Q3 at least at this time they are just out of Q2 so this game could change if we win and LIberty goes on to play well enough to get in the top 135 right now they are 136.
Auburn on the road is a Q2 game as they currently sit at number 76. I don't know if this will hold and they have to finish in the top 100 for it to remain Q2.
Kentucky is a home game and is rated Q4 at the present time. Kentucky is a bad team don't think they will play well enough this season to get it out of Q4.
Florida is a home game and they are currently rated 79 making this a Q3 game. It could stay there or drop to a Q4 as they would need to stay in the top 100 and the SEC is a tough place to win.

Certainly need all seven of these and then go from there. The games that are left that could be Q1 are at Texas A&M, at Miss St, at Ole Miss, at Georgia, at Alabama, South Carolina at home, at Vandy, LSU at home, Texas A&M at home, at South Carolina.

The Ole Miss, Georgia, and Vandy games are barely in the Q1 range so all could change as could home game with Texas A&M. At A&M, at Bama, and the two with SC and one with LSU are looking very solid Q1 games.

We lose a couple of these upcoming seven we could be looking at a tough road to even make the NCAA. We would have to win the majority of those Q1 games and if we can't win all of the next seven don't see us being able to do that. The hope would be to get through it 5 and 5. This would give us 12 and 5 and with current record 16 and 9. We then are probably fine if we go 3 of 4 and 19 and 10 in the regular season. Just like last season were in a hole we have to dig out of and it starts on a neutral court against a very good MTSU team.
You need to stop drinking caffeine.

VN Store

Back