Tennessee Lady Vols Volleyball 2023

I haven't been to see a Lady Vol VB game in recent years. But does the venue they play still have that volleyball mounted in the wall looking like somebody smashed it in there? I loved that back in the day if it's gone.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Why do we not have network coverage and announcers? Dumb to have two home matches at practically the same time.

Not sure what you mean there. The SEC tries to avoid scheduling volleyball and soccer at the same school on the same night, but it’s impossible to avoid it completely with facility conflicts and the new schedule format for VB this year.

UT is getting it handed to them. 2 0 UK Apparently UK has someone back that has missed their last 6 matches.

UT is getting it handed to them. 2 0 UK Apparently UK has someone back that has missed their last 6 matches.
Reagan Rutherford returned today after an eye injury forced her to miss the last 6 matches. Her presence and weapons allow other attackers to become more effective. Our back row has been hideous at times.

Tough loss! Can't win them all though as fans, we wish we could. Kentucky is currently the only SEC school to have ever won a National Championship in Volleyball. They are good and their national championship has helped in recruiting.

Flordia is always good and was ranked as high as third early in the year but has two conference losses. Last time I checked Arkansas was undefeated in conference play. We can still win the conference championship as we split our two matches with Kentucky. Probably need to win out.

This sport is dominated by West Coast schools with Penn State and Nebraska being the exceptions. Next year Texas joins the league and has three national championships in volleyball. So it want get any easier.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why didn’t Eve go with the winning lineup who beat KY in 3 sets at KY on 9/24/23?

That winning lineup was: Lovett, Fingall, Kerr, Beeker, Moore, Pawlik, and Torres. Beeker and Pawlik each scored 7 points in that matchup, Beeker had 6 blocks and Pawlik had 4 blocks.

In the second matchup, Beeker and Pawlik were basically replaced by Chase (2 points, 0 blocks), and Granberry (9 points, 2 blocks).

Total blocks went from 18 to 7, from game 1 to game 2, total points went from 62 to 51.

Why weren’t 2 of our tallest players in the second game? It’s not just points, the way players play together (chemistry) can make a difference as well.

Last edited:
I agree. I think Pawlik arrived at the net far later than I expected. I didn't get the Raeven Chase experiment at this time. I know that she can become a weapon with the slide attack, but her participation has been so minimal up to now. Having said that, I think the biggest difference was about Kentucky coach making necessary adjustments since the earlier game and just the fact that his team has gotten better from perseverance through the loss of Rutherford. They have volleyball IQ at every position and innateness to fulfill the role of the position that they occupy. Now with Rutherford back they are so formidable. They just don't leave much uncovered space to attack. We, on the other hand, are so attack minded and built for offense but seem to be out of position to dig. Our passing out of reception was woeful at times yesterday. Anyway, the team has its work cut out for it. Arkansas will be just as tough if not tougher. That was a very sobering defeat yesterday.

Just wondering, why didn’t Eve go with the winning lineup who beat KY in 3 sets at KY on 9/24/23?

That winning lineup was: Lovett, Fingall, Kerr, Beeker, Moore, Pawlik, and Torres. Beeker and Pawlik each scored 7 points in that matchup, Beeker had 6 blocks and Pawlik had 4 blocks.

In the second matchup, Beeker and Pawlik were basically replaced by Chase (2 points, 0 blocks), and Granberry (9 points, 2 blocks).

Total blocks went from 18 to 7, from game 1 to game 2, total points went from 62 to 51.

Why weren’t 2 of our tallest players in the second game? It’s not just points, the way players play together (chemistry) can make a difference as well.
The Lady Vols got schooled by Kentucky in this match. With all their players back in action they are a force to be reckoned with. Don't let their 7 losses fool you. They are a great team.
The Lady Vols' bigs (meaning the middle blockers) need to take note and play much more aggressively. They need to spike and kill the ball with authority and quit playing pitty-pat with the ball across the net. They also need to step up their blocking. Arkansas, the next opponent, is not as big as Kentucky but they have exceptional spikers who are small to average in height. They are ranked no. 12 in the country. Should be an excellent test for Tennessee. I hope they bring their A game to this match.

I was unable to watch the match last night due to a previous obligation. I followed the action via live stats. But it seemed like we made some critical mistakes at key points.

Let's not beat ourselves up too much. The last two sets 26 to 24 and 27 to 25 could have gone in our favor easily enough. Sometimes a loss can be a positive if you own it and make corrections.

The Arkansas match is in Knoxville. I live 550 miles away or i would be there. We need a loud and large crowd. Everyone keep the faith. Beat Arkansas and we will be in great shape as I think we beat Flordia on the road.

I was unable to watch the match last night due to a previous obligation. I followed the action via live stats. But it seemed like we made some critical mistakes at key points.

Let's not beat ourselves up too much. The last two sets 26 to 24 and 27 to 25 could have gone in our favor easily enough. Sometimes a loss can be a positive if you own it and make corrections.

The Arkansas match is in Knoxville. I live 550 miles away or i would be there. We need a loud and large crowd. Everyone keep the faith. Beat Arkansas and we will be in great shape as I think we beat Flordia on the road.
I thought i read somewhere that Chase just came eligible a few game ago.

Hoped for a different result but we were out played at the net (blocks) and the back line (digs). Arkansas deserved to win. They are very good. It will be difficult to win the conference with two losses.

Felt like we did not win a single point in prolonged rallies which crushed any opportunity to gain momentum. Also felt our back line was out of position on great digs (from Arkansas) on balls where we normally score.

Need to regroup and fight for NCAA seeding. We are an excellent team.

VN Store

Back