Tennessee Vanderbilt Game Thread - 1/10/2007

And like I said, we seem to play to our opponent. We play alot of close games. We just gave the opponent too much time in this one.

I think the real problem here is that we throw up garbage shots for the middle 5-10 min of the game, and by the time we settle down and get our lead back, all of a sudden it becomes a toss-up. Throw in our atrocious free throw shooting, and winning these close games is going to become more and more difficult.

Bruce needs to get these guys to stop practicing junk-shot threes, and to get to the charity stripe for some practice. I am happy with the way the freshmen are improving, but very very disappointed with our free throw shooting and our shot selection.

There's no reason for Jujuan to throw up a junk 3 when we're up...especially with a ton of time on the shot clock. Further, Childress has made improvement, but he is way to streaky to be relied on. Unfortunately, Chism manages 2-3 junk fouls per game, forcing Childress into getting beat up and down the floor.

All of our guys seem to be taking possessions off on defense. I got sick of hearing big Bob talking about all the easy layups.

More, what is with our guys MISSING layups??? I heard at least 4-5 missed layups tonight.

Josh Tabb had an awful few minutes there, racking up fouls and turnovers.

Lofton went cold for 10min, and the offense suffered. Someone needs to step up (cough..JuJuan) and become more of a stable, consistant shooting threat. (also, why does Jujuan refuse to drive to the basket????)

Gotcha. Looks that way.

Gonna have to get better on the road quickly. They've steadily improved in a lot of areas this season, hopefully playing on the road will be another.

I disagree about us being a bad road team. That might be the case if we had seen this team quit, we never did. It's going to be tough. People are selling our their gyms to watch us play. Everybody wants to knock off the sec east champ and the #2 seed.

Lots of great teams have have early season losses much worse than Vandy so I don't think I'll be giving us a Buzz Peterson road record just yet.

We do need our upperclassmen, Bradshaw and JuJuan to step up. That's a MUST.

I disagree about us being a bad road team. That might be the case if we had seen this team quit, we never did. It's going to be tough. People are selling our their gyms to watch us play. Everybody wants to knock off the sec east champ and the #2 seed.

Lots of great teams have have early season losses much worse than Vandy so I don't think I'll be giving us a Buzz Peterson road record just yet.

How about that year with Buzz, 2004 I think, where we went 7-1 in the SEC home with an OT loss to UK and 0-8 on the road?

How did Furman do in the vaunted Memorial Gym?

Why are you asking me? Are we really debating whether or not that's a tough place to play, especially if you've never played there before?

For every Furman game, there are 12 games where they upset a favored team. And you KNOW they were amped up to play Tennessee.

Let's not get too down on this team. They're young, we understand that. I have confidence. And I hope you're wrong about them winning no more than 2 more road games.

I don't care if you quit or not. Vandy's bad. Auburn is the only team we'll play on the road that is appreciably worse than they are. Tonight's effort, in fact, gets you blown out in every road game left except Auburn, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.

Why are you asking me? Are we really debating whether or not that's a tough place to play, especially if you've never played there before?

For every Furman game, there are 12 games where they upset a favored team. And you KNOW they were amped up to play Tennessee.

Let's not get too down on this team. They're young, we understand that. I have confidence. And I hope you're wrong about them winning no more than 2 more road games.
That's garbage. The "Memorial Magic" is a bunch of crap. The vast majority of times a good team goes in there, they take care of business.

Tonight's effort, in fact, gets you blown out in every road game left except Auburn, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.

While that might be true, I believe they'll actually improve on the road as the season progresses.

Yes, and as we go down the schedule, they'll be playing actual legitimate teams on the road. That won't be good.

Certainly not, but we will get better... Hopefully we can be gelling come SEC tourney time instead of crashing miserably at the end.

That's garbage. The "Memorial Magic" is a bunch of crap. The vast majority of times a good team goes in there, they take care of business.

Give me some stats to back it up, and I'll change the opinion I've had for the past 26 years watching SEC basketball.

I don't care if you quit or not. Vandy's bad. Auburn is the only team we'll play on the road that is appreciably worse than they are. Tonight's effort, in fact, gets you blown out in every road game left except Auburn, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.

After tonight, are you not worried about the South Carolina game on the road?

I wouldn't look too much into their loss to Furman. I mean, it's not like Stallings put an incredible amount of time in preparing for them, as well as the team, because I'm sure they expected to blow them away. Add that to the, what I'm sure was a less than 50% capacity crowd with no energy, and you get a game that is tough to get ready to play.

However, when the Vols come to town, the gym sells out, the team and Stallings are 100% focused on beating us, and the crowd is hostile, it can and ALWAYS will be, two different Vandy teams on the floor.

I agree. Vandy is horrible. They even got beat by Furman at home this year. We should have blown them out of the gym

we should have played our starters the whole time regardless of fouls. Chism and Crews are the same player. Let them play and when one fouls out put the other in.

My opinion on Memorial Magic: Vandy is usually an average team at best, so whenever they actually do beat a good team at home, everybody talks about "Memorial Magic." I think the many home losses for them are forgotten about, because, and they'll hate me for this, it's just Vandy.

I don't disagree. I'm just not willing to write us off as a bad road team based on one game. You have to hope they learn from it. Like I said, plenty of good teams have let a rival road game slip away that they should have won. Happens all the time. It doesn't mean that by rule, we now lose to every team better than Vandy.

That said, I do think that we are going to struggle if we don't start getting more production from more people. Teams are figuring out how to make Chris work for his points. We can't depend of 35 from him every night.

Not to mention our defense is less than stellar as of late and we have given up too many easy baskets.

I just submitted feedback on LFSports.com. Not sure if it will accomplish anything though. As soon as I saw the schedule when it came about, I saw Auburn-UK and thought, "Why should I be surprised?" I think the Cats are still viewed as the league's cash cow by many.

Give me some stats to back it up, and I'll change the opinion I've had for the past 26 years watching SEC basketball.
Let's see, how many times have they beaten Kentucky in Nashville in the last 20 years? I've seen Vandy blown out twice by Indiana, once by Cincinnati and Georgetown. That's just games I've seen live in the last 15 years where they got the "Memorial Magic' crap stuffed down their delusional throats. Now, I'd like to see this gargantuan list of monumental upsets I'm sure you're going to bust out.

we should have played our starters the whole time regardless of fouls. Chism and Crews are the same player. Let them play and when one fouls out put the other in.
Chism and Crews are the same player? :blink:

On a more positive note, the Lady Vols will be down here tomorrow night. The first 1,000 UF students get a t-shirt and a pizza party at halftime.

My opinion on Memorial Magic: Vandy is usually an average team at best, so whenever they actually do beat a good team at home, everybody talks about "Memorial Magic." I think the many home losses for them are forgotten about, because, and they'll hate me for this, it's just Vandy.
Exactly. How much has that magic helped them against Kentucky over the years?

VN Store

Back