Tennessee Vanderbilt Game Thread - 1/10/2007

The point is good teams beat bad teams. Its called an upset. Theres a reason. The team is upset because they lost to a team clearly not as good as them.

They beat a down UK team last year after the Cats lost at home to Lofton's Vols. Perhaps that was the magic.

Only 1 of those was by Ramar according to Kessling. Not sure where the others came from, but if our starting PG is getting 17 points and only having 1 TO a game, we should be winning games, especially if Lofton scores 29.

Let's face it guys, it took Vandy's best game of the season and certainly not a good effort on our part, and they still needed a tip-in to win the game.

I don't know about you guys, but I choose to look at the positives. Lofton is double-teamed pretty much all game and still comes away with 29 points. Impressive. Ramar Smith scores 17 points, with only 1 turnover, including some BIG shots down the stretch and a BIG execution down the stretch getting Duke Crews a slam with less than 10 seconds left. If we could just get Childress and Chism to stop believing they are 3point shooters and ONLY shooting the WIDE OPEN looks, we should be alright. Good effort coming back from an 11 point deficit in a hostile environment on the road.

I don't disagree. I'm just not willing to write us off as a bad road team based on one game. You have to hope they learn from it. Like I said, plenty of good teams have let a rival road game slip away that they should have won. Happens all the time. It doesn't mean that by rule, we now lose to every team better than Vandy.

That said, I do think that we are going to struggle if we don't start getting more production from more people. Teams are figuring out how to make Chris work for his points. We can't depend of 35 from him every night.

Not to mention our defense is less than stellar as of late and we have given up too many easy baskets.
Ok, got the "missed blockout at the end of the game" vitriol out of my system. I did do better than my pal Huggins. He dislocated three fingers on the locker room door at UAB one year because of a similar loss. It may be my greatest pet peeve in basketball.

Allow me to mediate. I do appreciate the effort, particularly down the stretch, but the top programs have high expectations from their fans. I expect to beat Vandy.

One has to wonder, though, where the down-the-stretch effort was earlier. Still, nice effort in the last 10 minutes.

Exactly. How much has that magic helped them against Kentucky over the years?

They actually beat Kentucky 4-5 years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, including the 1992-93 year when Kentucky went to the final four.

They beat Florida 5 straight years in the mid-late 1990s, including one year when Florida went to the final 4.

I see big wins over UNC, LSU, Virginia...

But enough of that.

Let's get this straight. Are you saying you'd expect a freshman-laden team to have no problem playing in Memorial Gym? I think you're too hard on them.

BTW, Butler just lost in overtime at Illinois-Chicago by 6. I-C lost to Mississippi, Jackson State, Penn, and Illinois State earlier this year. And Butler is LOADED with juniors and seniors. I wonder if they're as pessimistic about their chances of winning in their conference on the road.

As noted earlier, its one conference game out of 16. While I do believe you can "win them all," I don't think its terribly likely. Its a loss, and a loss that hurts, but its one and you move on to the next game.

Florida lost five regular season conference games last year.

Didn't seem to matter much in the end.

He needs to get the team past this quickly, obviously. There are some winnable SEC games coming up. There can be no more SEC losses before the game at Rupp.

VN Store

Back