Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Oddly enough, I really like where our team is at and the development of a number of our guys. I dont see a huge need to reach deep into the transfer portal.

Yes, we will likely lose 2-3 guys, but I'm hopeful in who is coming back. Even if we don't add another player I'm hopeful for next year's team.
I think Bailey and Uros transfer to a smaller conference.... would love to see Uros on Chattanooga

I just don't see how Barnes could promise him that many minutes and keep James, Maschack, ON, and BHH happy. Now, if James chooses to leave, then that changes.
This year we managed to have insane success running 3 small PGs after toying with personnel to find the best rotations. It wouldn't shock me to see a bigger set next year with BHH, Phillips, Edwards, JJJ, and a PG for significant amounts of time.

TLDR: Barnes will figure it out.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
You think Uros and Bailey are going to sit out a year? I don’t think that Bailey can even do that with just one year of eligibility left.
They would be SR transfers i believe.....i hope Uros doesn't but i could see him dominate a smaller conference to get a g league run as a 7 footer

They would be SR transfers i believe.....i hope Uros doesn't but i could see him dominate a smaller conference to get a g league run as a 7 footer

I guess Bailey could still be a grad transfer. He’s been a regular transfer, granted an extra COVID year, and then would be a grad transfer.

Uros is just a junior (with 2 years remaining) and might not have graduated yet.

I don't think Uros is going anywhere, and I certainly hope he doesn't.

Uros is not any good but I agree he's probably not going anywhere as a senior. He loves this program. If he can get a tad better maybe he can average 6 points 4 rebounds next year.

Our roster is set. We aren't getting Phillips. He will probably end up at Kentucky.

I don’t think he’s needed. Tamba is an extra post to help out with losing Fulk. Edwards won’t be close to Chandler, but everybody else is one year older and more experienced. The most important thing is that JJJ, SV, and BHH don’t go somewhere to be paid to play.

Reactions: walkenvol
I don’t think he’s needed. Tamba is an extra post to help out with losing Fulk. Edwards won’t be close to Chandler, but everybody else is one year older and more experienced. The most important thing is that JJJ, SV, and BHH don’t go somewhere to be paid to play.

Agreed but I don't see Tamba as needed next year if ORN is healthy again. He is a developmental guy like Uros. Let's hope he can jump and react to the ball a little better.

Agreed but I don't see Tamba as needed next year if ORN is healthy again. He is a developmental guy like Uros. Let's hope he can jump and react to the ball a little better.

Aidoo probably progresses the most of the 5 posts. Tamba is likely learning a lot being on the scout team all year and figuring out how to play the roles of a couple dozen opposing bigs. But he won’t be as far along as BHH and Aidoo with this staff’s defensive concepts.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Aidoo probably progresses the most of the 5 posts. Tamba is likely learning a lot being on the scout team all year and figuring out how to play the roles of a couple dozen opposing bigs. But he won’t be as far along as BHH and Aidoo with this staff’s defensive concepts.

When I say react to the ball I'm saying Uros seem to take an additional second to react when the ball comes out of the hand of the player on the other team or has to think when he has a layup opportunity.

When I say react to the ball I'm saying Uros seem to take an additional second to react when the ball comes out of the hand of the player on the other team or has to think when he has a layup opportunity.

7 foot post players don’t typically have quickness as one of their strengths. But Uros moves quite well in this defensive system.

He also hasn’t been working with Chandler and ZZ all that long. Vescovi has been his PG since he arrived until the two freshmen showed up. And ZZ came in very late.

7 foot post players don’t typically have quickness as one of their strengths. But Uros moves quite well in this defensive system.

He also hasn’t been working with Chandler and ZZ all that long. Vescovi has been his PG since he arrived until the two freshmen showed up. And ZZ came in very late.

Trust me this is not a dump on Uros exchange but a discussion about his strengths and weaknesses. He's not the only post that needs to improve. He has improved during his time at Tennessee but he still plays with a lack of confidence and he still has below average hands.

He's tough, he plays hard and he's a good teammate. As I have mentioned, he appeared afraid to take the ball straight up against an undersized Longwood and when given some chances was tapping rebounds out instead of corraling the ball and going for second chance points. He's frustrating to watch but I like him because he's a character guy. I think his best strength is we aren't outsized when we play a team with tall players which he neutralizes.

Is there any chance KC considers staying another year or is he a guaranteed lottery pick? If he were to come back, and we could get Phillips, how do you crunch the numbers? Bailey would have to leave, but who else? Powell, maybe? He hasn't exactly filled the role he was brought in for. COVID and extra years has made roster management even harder to juggle. I think it's stupid the NCAA granted everyone an extra year but doesn't allow waivers of the 13 max schollies to continue until those players are phased out.

I don't think Uros goes anywhere. He seems to love it here, and Barnes seems to love him. Unless money is involved in luring someone away, Tamba is the only big I could see leaving. Not saying I want to see him go, but he's a project that may be better suited for a lower level of basketball.

I don't know, it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. Especially if we make a deep run. I love this current team and the bond they all seem to share. They're special.

Is there any chance KC considers staying another year or is he a guaranteed lottery pick? If he were to come back, and we could get Phillips, how do you crunch the numbers? Bailey would have to leave, but who else? Powell, maybe? He hasn't exactly filled the role he was brought in for. COVID and extra years has made roster management even harder to juggle. I think it's stupid the NCAA granted everyone an extra year but doesn't allow waivers of the 13 max schollies to continue until those players are phased out.

I don't think Uros goes anywhere. He seems to love it here, and Barnes seems to love him. Unless money is involved in luring someone away, Tamba is the only big I could see leaving. Not saying I want to see him go, but he's a project that may be better suited for a lower level of basketball.

I don't know, it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. Especially if we make a deep run. I love this current team and the bond they all seem to share. They're special.
KC isn't projected as a lottery pick but a mid-late first rounder, at least from the mock drafts I saw. I did ask the same question because with the NIL now and wondered if the $ as a late round pick or an NIL could be comparable to maybe have him think about staying. Anything is possible, I guess. As for the rest, I have no idea but if we could get Phillips, I think we have to make it happen. It would have to be considered an immediate upgrade, with the exception of a few players.

Julian Phillips is the kid I want
If Phillips is interested in us, we have to pursue him. Immensely talented and would give us flexibility at 3 or 4 and would give us all sorts of options with our lineup. Plus he appears to be able to create his own shot. If KC goes pro as expected we need another player who can improvise when needed.

Nobody is going to turn down a first round pick over NIL. Even a late first round pick is guaranteed multi-millions in salary (plus the much more lucrative NIL opportunities that come with being an NBA player).

Uros is not any good but I agree he's probably not going anywhere as a senior. He loves this program. If he can get a tad better maybe he can average 6 points 4 rebounds next year.

If you've ever played basketball, you might understand the importance of an enforcer. They may not have a lot of stats, but the whole other team game plans around them (even if the coach doesn't). It's like there is an invisible forcefield around them that you don't want to go near. Sure, a tall guy can fit that mold, due to the potential for blocks, but there is also the fear factor of a big, mean guy in the paint. You just really don't want to get knocked around, and you sure aren't going to be pushing them around like you do everyone else. Sometimes, you just assume that they will get the rebound, without even going for it.

That is the role that Uros plays, and that is the reason that he starts the game on the floor. Besides that, he has came miles since last season. He's not just a stiff out there any more.

Is he a great player? No, but he is a good player now, who helps set the tone for the game. He is a key cog for this team. He has went from getting zero or one rebound per game, to being a good rebounder (3.9 per game, approx. 11 per 40 minutes). He now hits a good percentage of his shots (58.3%). He is a starter. He definitely belongs.

VN Store

Back