Thankful for honest Vol fans about Hunter

I agree that a lot of times he appeared to mail it in and just fall down a lot of times. Put yourself in the kids situation however. Can you blame him. As an athlete, an injury of that magnitude is a pretty big deal. He had a lot to loose if he were to sufer another injury like this.

there was a lot going on last year, outside of his recovery. 7 straight go routes against Fla will make you lose focus across the middle and will make you take a play off when you aren't subbed. Team chemistry sucked. Bray's 'tude and leadership sucked at times. Apathy set into the fanbase and the team.

The kid made a lot of plays for UT and was a good kid while on campus. The hate by some fans is ridiculous.

I am grateful for Hunter choosing UT, and am glad he played our Vols.
Having said, I do think at times last year he tiptoed around and fell short of making some much needed plays. Thats on him and is a maturing issue.
But knowing what we know no about coaching and leadership on the team this past year im not mad. I know he has at least one kid to feed, he was a lock to get drafted one year after an ACL tear. Why risk getting it shredded again?

Gavol hit the nail on the head.

The other thing is that some of you have an image in your head that he should be randy moss.

Sometimes our fans aren't very appreciative. I'm sure your gators would have loved to have had JH.

I tore mine twice. It's awhile before you can get back out and play with instincts instead of worrying about landing wrong or turning wrong because you know a second one means you are probably done at a high level of comp. Scar tissue pops and scares you to death. Any time spent with concern about the knee takes away from how you play ball.

Friend tore his. said little things like putting his foot down while riding his motorcycle would make him nervous.

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.

It was not an effort but more of an overprotection thing. You can't do and play your best when you play football like that. It has cost him draft position. He was trying but some do better overcoming the mental part of it than others. Sometimes I do pray roddy white and others on our falcons do go down and not take a big hit because we can not afford an injury or a turnover. But, hunter was over the top with it last year and it was not just to protect his knee. I think drops were also caused sometimes from concentrating on what may happen after the catch and not complete focus on the ball. Call me a moron now if it makes you happy. I will be okay. :)

Last edited:
I have no issues with the way JH played after the injury. Maybe a couple times he could tried for extra yardage but the number isn't as high as people are making it out to be. He's not built to go across the middle. He's not a player who desires contact. Add in the injury and it just makes sense
Friend tore his. said little things like putting his foot down while riding his motorcycle would make him nervous.

time goes by and you honestly forget about it. Of course any twinge you feel causes instant panic

What?

He had the most catches and receiving yards on the team this year?

He also had the most drops and least effort from the top 3 of our receivers. If Patterson knew the playbook and waas a polished route runner then he has twice as many receptions. Hunter is loaded with talent but it was obvious he was playing not to get hurt. I think it will change now afterhe signs a contract but his lack of effort at times is why he wasnt a 1st rounder. Honestly Bray ,Hunter and CP have could have benefited for returning their SR yr. CP couldnt have returned it soynds luke because of grades and him going in the first rd isnt as big of an issue as Hunter and Bray is. But that's decision. I wont miss Bray but would have loved CP and JH to have returned. Could have helped QB and our young WR's in their development.

It was not an effort but more of an overprotection thing. You can do and play your best when you play football like that. It has cost him draft position. He was trying but some do better overcoming the mental part of it than others. Sometimes I do pray roddy white and other on our falcons do go down and not take a big hit because we can not afford an injury or a turnover. But, hunter was over the top with it last year and it was not just to protect his knee. I think drops were also caused sometimes from concentrating on what may happen after the catch and not complete focus on the ball. Call me a moron now if it makes you happy. I will be okay. :)
I think that's a perfectly valid observation. He obviously dropped some balls and at times seemed to avoid contact ....which, incidentally, I think is smart for guys built like Hunter.

I just think people need to really think a little before calling out a kid playing through an ACL tear for lack of effort.

He also had the most drops and least effort from the top 3 of our receivers. If Patterson knew the playbook and waas a polished route runner then he has twice as many receptions. .

Think about what you just posted. You're calling out Hunter for a lack of effort and then giving CP a pass for not knowing the playbook.... which is an actual sign of a lack of effort.

Reactions: 3 people
I wish Bray and Hunter had returned this year. It would have made them more money (Bray especially). Hunter will be off the board fairly early on day two.

I thought if Hunter would stay, he would be top 10 in next years draft....And would have help UT the most after having a year to get past the ACL.

So that take me to another level....does that mean he say our struggles with QB or just ready to make the move. Not sure but he certainly was a great kid...from my seat

GA Vol owned this one. No need to pile on. I am reminded of the great Frank the Tank debate vs James Carville in Old School.

Reactions: 1 person
I think that's a perfectly valid observation. He obviously dropped some balls and at times seemed to avoid contact ....which, incidentally, I think is smart for guys built like Hunter.

I just think people need to really think a little before calling out a kid playing through an ACL tear for lack of effort.

I totally agree on the calling out part. We should support the players. You can be critical of the players on the team you support. However, legitimate concerns being voiced is different than being a jerk toward the players. People don't understand it unless they have been hurt. I had a problem after my playing days for a little while throwing even a softball after I hurt my RC my senior year in football. YOu would've thought I was Steve Sax. Now you guys know I am old.

I see both sides of the argument. Both are valid. His performance last year was shaky due to both coming off the knee surgery and at times losing focus and dropping some very catchable balls in key spots.

That being said, I was very surprised he didn't go ahead of CP last night. Not because CP is not an out of this world talent, he is.... yet he's still a project at WR as we all know

Hunter is AJ Green lite. 6'4, 4.4 speed, 40" vertical, much more polished route runner than CP and therefore much more NFL ready to play WR. I was disappointed with Hunter last season at times due to what looked poor effort and lack of focus, but I think somebody's about to get themselves a very good WR in the second round today.

Last edited:
I agree that Rogers--right now--could probably be more productive than Patterson and Hunter, but perhaps not for long. I take it his (lack of) speed is a problem? Hunter and Patterson are both exceptionally athletic and could become good NFL receivers but they'll need two years to develop, IMO. Hunter needs to get stronger and tougher--he's soft; and Patterson is just raw; he doesn't catch the ball properly (doesn't use his hands consistently); his route-running is average (at best) and there are questions about his smarts. Will be interesting to see how the develop.

That being said, I was very surprised he didn't go ahead of CP last night. Not because CP is not an out of this world talent, he is.... yet he's still a project at WR as we all know

I think it was CP's value in the return game that put him over the top (esp for a team like Minn)

I think it was CP's value in the return game that put him over the top (esp for a team like Minn)

Agree. It had to be. They valued him highly in that area to replace Harvin. And for good reason, he's special with the ball in his hands.

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.
I did not know an ACL can make you drop a ball? Hunter is great but was not consistent because he had a lot of easy catches dropped on 3rd downs.

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete dumb asses.

Still think you sugar coated it so fyp.

GA Vol owned this one. No need to pile on. I am reminded of the great Frank the Tank debate vs James Carville in Old School.

tumblr_lzkym9RIyM1qd8nujo1_500.gif

No one knows what was in Hunter's head, whether he dogged it because of fear or laziness. Or both.

Whatever the reason, it has cost him and cost him accordingly.

VN Store

Back