Thankful for honest Vol fans about Hunter

I did not know an ACL can make you drop a ball? Hunter is great but was not consistent because he had a lot of easy catches dropped on 3rd downs.

Have you read the comments from those that have had the surgery and the psychological effects it has? I won't blame all the drops on the injury, but OF COURSE it can cause a WR to drop balls.

I did not know an ACL can make you drop a ball? Hunter is great but was not consistent because he had a lot of easy catches dropped on 3rd downs.

you don't seem to understand the mental aspect and confidence that wr's must have in order to stay focused on catching the ball during a football game. If you question your hands, mind, route, knees or anything, you are done.
You don't think it would come in your mind that your knee could be bent backwards again on this particular route that was just called? That's why ACL's take longer. After awhile, you don't think about it anymore, but he was back in less than a year.

you don't seem to understand the mental aspect and confidence that wr's must have in order to stay focused on catching the ball during a football game. If you question your hands, mind, route, knees or anything, you are done.
You don't think it would come in your mind that your knee could be bent backwards again on this particular route that was just called? That's why ACL's take longer. After awhile, you don't think about it anymore, but he was back in less than a year.

Especially when his injury occurred on a play where there was no contact

Having had an ACL - it takes two years for the normal human being to regain full function to the knee and it will never be as good as it was before the injury. AD is a one in a million exception to the 2 year time frame. The ability to trust the need when making moves, jumps, etc. is what affects the focus on catching the ball. JH should regain his focus next season or the season after. He caught everything in his vicinity prior to the injury. As a result he will be a great second round pick for somebody. Which is what he should be since he is not an overall good route runner yet like CP.

CP had no injury issues and has unique running abilities with the ball in his hands even though he is not yet a good route runner. Late first round.

JH was thrown to much more than CP last season. If Duh-rick had stayed it would have been even less. Chaney wanted to feature Hunter and Duh - but Duh took that off the table. As a result CP was given the opportunity to showcase. No doubt all three would have benefited from another year of learning the craft.

Z-Rogers elevated his play when given the chance by Chaney and Bray to catch some balls when he could stretch the field and use his speed. He is not a "possession" receiver - which is how they tried to use him for a couple of years. He is a D-Moore type WR. He could do well in the NFL if he keeps his head straight and is given a chance in the right passing scheme.

Having had an ACL - it takes two years for the normal human being to regain full function to the knee and it will never be as good as it was before the injury.

sorry but that goes against everything I was told by 2 different orthos

Justin Hunter and CP are two different players, and I think it's safe to assume that the criteria NFL scouts and GM's use to grade them is going to be entirely different depending on the team. I'm glad both were at Tennessee but now they are going to be under a bigger microscope. I will say CP couldn't have gone to a better situation as far as the Vikings. Whatever he makes of it is up to him. If he learns the craft of being a receiver he'll be scary good.

sorry but that goes against everything I was told by 2 different orthos

Which part? Time frame varies.
Most guys that continue to play after an acl either brace it or sleeve it and take antiflammatories or other meds to keep the pain and swelling down. Then you also have scar tissue created from surgery that wasn't there prior. Some surgeons may say what you said based on whatever tests they run but a surgically invaded joint is never the same again.

Which part? Time frame varies.
Most guys that continue to play after an acl either brace it or sleeve it and take antiflammatories or other meds to keep the pain and swelling down. Then you also have scar tissue created from surgery that wasn't there prior. Some surgeons may say what you said based on whatever tests they run but a surgically invaded joint is never the same again.

not the same but it can be every bit as good. Pain and inflammation 2 years after surgery would tell me it's a different issue than just having the acl fixed.

not the same but it can be every bit as good. Pain and inflammation 2 years after surgery would tell me it's a different issue than just having the acl fixed

D1 and pro athlete aren't just skipping around their neighborhoods saying it feels the same.

Many times when an acl tears, the bloodflow to the articular cartilage is disrupted. Then foreign instruments are introduced, tissue is shaved away, a graft is introduced, and antibiotics used to help prevent infection, as well as cold/compression to reduce the swelling from an angry joint. All of that disrupts the area.
Players that have had acl surgeries have to get their knees drained all the time. Its part of it. Yes the leg can get warmed up and have the same extension and flexion numbers but saying every bit as good as the original is a stretch.
Wait until you are older and see how your repaired knee feels in a few years.

Having had an ACL - it takes two years for the normal human being to regain full function to the knee and it will never be as good as it was before the injury.
So many factors. What is normal for a human being may be unacceptable for a professional athlete. The college/pro athlete undergoes a very different rehab and comes to rehab with a much higher level of "fitness".

I've taken catchers from ACL's back the field 100% in eighth months.

Yes the leg can get warmed up and have the same extension and flexion numbers but saying every bit as good as the original is a stretch.

my info is based off what I was told by an orthopedic surgeon. I'll probably just go with it until another one tells me something different

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.

Well said!

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.

Is that you Volbeef? Haha I couldn't have said it better. Spot on.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Have you read the comments from those that have had the surgery and the psychological effects it has? I won't blame all the drops on the injury, but OF COURSE it can cause a WR to drop balls.

Derek Rose agrees with the first sentence....from the looks of things that cat may only warm up for games he doesn't play in for the rest of his career.

It usually takes 2 full years to recover from an ACL injury. Not everyone is like Adrian Peterson. What he did was not normal. Most WR's usually don't come into the NFL and set the world on fire in their first year either. It will take Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers awhile to get the hang of things. CP will take even longer. Rogers should have the better career out of the gate. We'll see what happens with the other two once they can grasp the playbook. My main concern for Hunter is that he needs some more meat on his bones. The NFL will beef him up, but his body is going to need to gain some weight to keep from being injured.

I think it was CP's value in the return game that put him over the top (esp for a team like Minn)

THIS. He is a better than perfect replacement for Harvin and for how the Vikings used him. I say better because CP is bigger and more physical than Harvin.

I think in a different year, Hunter goes in the first...this has been a weird draft, so far...1 QB, 2WR's, no RB's...Hunter is gonna be just fine because he's got the skills...love to see him as a Steeler, don't think he'll still be on the board though.

Last edited:
my info is based off what I was told by an orthopedic surgeon. I'll probably just go with it until another one tells me something different

I don't blame you.
My experience is just more than a random ortho that says yes when you ask him if you will ever be able to play kickball at the same level.

Hunter is a big baby, ever time he dropped a pass i thought he was going to cry, NFL teams dont need babys on there team, plus he drops the ball in the clutch.

Firstly Hunter may do very well, but remember back right before the season when Hunter was the #1 receiver by all the experts. As the season started many Vol fans were honest and not ripping Hunter, but saying he is not the best on the team. While others were unbelievable angry at those fans for just calling like we see...making excuses. It did not take long to see that CP put more effort and was just better, the NFL has confirmed this. Again Hunter may do very well, but I think it is good idea to cheer for your team as we do as vol fans, but at the same time it is okay to be critically honest about the players on the team, there is nothing wrong with that. Here is to Hunter doing very well and here is to Vol fans that get it...now let's win the NC next year.:)

Pretty sure no one was saying CP was the best reciever. And if you did, that is stupid because even though he was, he hadn't played a down yet in D1 football.

Most of those people thought david Ricky was the best reciever on the team.

Guess who is also still on the board...

Hunter is a big baby, ever time he dropped a pass i thought he was going to cry, NFL teams dont need babys on there team, plus he drops the ball in the clutch.

to-crying_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

VN Store

Back