That's racist!

Racism still exists but it is not as prevalent as you think it is....everyone should fight against overt racism which I do but if we have to discuss whether racism happened or not then it is not is not worth our time.... people that seek out racism constantly is doing nothing but keeping people divided and it needs to stop.
The bolded is the very clear problem here 🤦‍♂️

Africa has 54 countries hence my answer.
The majority race can always be racist toward other races. The history of the country also matters btw.

so it is not whiteness but instead majority that matters in distinguishing between prejudice and racism

is someone in the majority automatically racist or do they have to have some other characteristic (eg. be prejudice first)?

so it is not whiteness but instead majority that matters in distinguishing between prejudice and racism

is someone in the majority automatically racist or do they have to have some other characteristic (eg. be prejudice first)?
Both factors matter.

Depends on the scenario.

The bolded is the very clear problem here 🤦‍♂️
Here is an example..... my daughter goes to a school where her race is the slight minority..... people at the school filled her head full of everything is racist..... we drove by a car wash and there were three black guys washing one car and three white guys washing another car.... she made the comment that look at those white guys being racist.... I told her..... you don’t know anything about that situation any kind of judgement like that..... a couple days later I walked into her basketball practice..... she was shooting lay ups with two of her white friends..... her best friend in the world who is black was shooting lay ups with a couple of other black girls.... I asked my daughter why she was being racist.... she said I wasn’t being racist..... then she stopped and said.... this is a teaching moment isn’t it?

I have seen many people arguing and stop being friends over stuff that really don’t matter in the grand scheme of things..... The only way truly defeat racism is to bring people together and not keep doing things that divide them.

Reactions: AM64
Both factors matter.

Depends on the scenario.

I skip the vagueness of the second comment and concentrate on the first.

To be racist (the way you were taught) one must first be prejudiced against other races (or at least on other race) AND be in the majority race of the geographic area of interest. So a white person in the USA is only a racist if they are prejudiced against one racial minority?

I'm asking because you talked of common ground as the starting point yet there are many different constructions of the term racism and without knowing how someone is using the term it's hard to establish the common ground for the discussion.

It makes them prejudiced but probably not racist in this country.
I was taught that only the racial majority can be racist.
Who Can Be ‘Racist’? | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson
Webster says you’re wrong. There is NO majority or minority in their definition of racism. Black people can and are as racist as anybody. If you don’t believe it than there’s nothing that can solve your stupidity.

Can you say for sure that Mr. Floyd would have been murdered if he were white?
Do you know the history of no-knock warrants in this country?
I'm not sure he was murdered. Can you say for sure he would have lived if white?

Yes, they are used in instances where firearms or high dangers are expected. The vast majority are issued in relation to drug investigations in urban areas with high population density and risk for collateral damage. In rural areas officers typically prefer to execute these warrants in traffic stops due to low population density and then search property.

If I'm off base here please let me know. I did some research into no knocks as a result of this case. While I can understand the rational behind them I agree no knock warrants are a problem and should not be allowed.

I skip the vagueness of the second comment and concentrate on the first.

To be racist (the way you were taught) one must first be prejudiced against other races (or at least on other race) AND be in the majority race of the geographic area of interest. So a white person in the USA is only a racist if they are prejudiced against one racial minority?

I'm asking because you talked of common ground as the starting point yet there are many different constructions of the term racism and without knowing how someone is using the term it's hard to establish the common ground for the discussion.

2nd answer is vague because of the question asked and it is hard for me to speak on the dynamics of other counties. I also believe history plays a part.

Are there many different constructions? Racism occurs when a person practices prejudice against a racial minority based only on their appearance.

Because I acknowledge racism is still prevalent? Interesting 😳

Prevalent? Lol please. The vast majority of people in this country don’t give two sh**s what someone’s skin color is. The vast majority of people that do don’t have any impact on anyone’s life. Currently racism by in large is just a scapegoat for failure. You know it’s a bs argument when the people crying racism get to pick and choose what is racist and who can be racist.

I'm not sure he was murdered. Can you say for sure he would have lived if white?

Yes, they are used in instances where firearms or high dangers are expected. The vast majority are issued in relation to drug investigations in urban areas with high population density and risk for collateral damage. In rural areas officers typically prefer to execute these warrants in traffic stops due to low population density and then search property.

If I'm off base here please let me know. I did some research into no knocks as a result of this case. While I can understand the rational behind them I agree no knock warrants are a problem and should not be allowed.

Do you know something the world does not. The death has been ruled a homicide by all examiners involved. 😳

Facts show he would have had a much greater chance at survival if he would have been white. Black people are murdered 2.8 times more than white people by police.

The ridiculous and racist war on drugs is the origin of the warrant.
The war on drugs gave rise to ‘no-knock’ warrants. Breonna Taylor’s death could end them

When the idiot went on the shooting spree in Georgia they were quick to plaster his face on the news. When the mentally ill terrorist, that looked white initially, went on a shooting spree they were quick to throw his picture out there until they realized what he was. There was a shooting in California yesterday and they haven’t thrown anything up. There was one in Baltimore a few days ago and they haven’t thrown anything up. Of course there is no agenda driven by the media though.

Prevalent? Lol please. The vast majority of people in this country don’t give two sh**s what someone’s skin color is. The vast majority of people that do don’t have any impact on anyone’s life. Currently racism by in large is just a scapegoat for failure. You know it’s a bs argument when the people crying racism get to pick and choose what is racist and who can be racist.
Link? This sounds like more privilege.
(speaking of privilege...I need to scroll back to see if anyone intelligently answered the question I posed to the board)

Link? This sounds like more privilege.
(speaking of privilege...I need to scroll back to see if anyone intelligently answered the question I posed to the board)

You don’t get to pick and choose what anything is. You are either a troll or a complete and utter moron. You can clarify it for us.

Reactions: AM64 and dovervolz
2nd answer is vague because of the question asked and it is hard for me to speak on the dynamics of other counties. I also believe history plays a part.

Are there many different constructions? Racism occurs when a person practices prejudice against a racial minority based only on their appearance.

we already have 2 that have been discussed (there are at least 2 in the article you linked)

you've also added a qualifier that it depends on other things too so that adds at least a 3rd variant to the mix (actually at least a 4th since you've identified "dynamics of a country" and "history")

I've also seen adaptations of Critical Race Theory that posit it can only be white people (regardless of majority status) or that by virtue of being white you are inherently racist. So that's 2 more constructions. So there's at least 6 different constructions.

Personally, I subscribe to the individual action view where prejudice based on a believe another race is inferior counts as racism.

we already have 2 that have been discussed (there are at least 2 in the article you linked)

you've also added a qualifier that it depends on other things too so that adds at least a 3rd variant to the mix (actually at least a 4th since you've identified "dynamics of a country" and "history")

I've also seen adaptations of Critical Race Theory that posit it can only be white people (regardless of majority status) or that by virtue of being white you are inherently racist. So that's 2 more constructions. So there's at least 6 different constructions.

Personally, I subscribe to the individual action view where prejudice based on a believe another race is inferior counts as racism.
Let's check your math here. If there are 6 constructs, would it not be true to each construct has an impact on racism relative to the preceding construct? 6 constructs with 6 variables per construct would mean 6 to the 6th power of constructions? 46,656 constructions.

Let's check your math here. If there are 6 constructs, would it not be true to each construct has an impact on racism relative to the preceding construct? 6 constructs with 6 variables per construct would mean 6 to the 6th power of constructions? 46,656 constructions.
tenor (7).gif

Reactions: McDad
Do you know something the world does not. The death has been ruled a homicide by all examiners involved. 😳

Facts show he would have had a much greater chance at survival if he would have been white. Black people are murdered 2.8 times more than white people by police.

The ridiculous and racist war on drugs is the origin of the warrant.
The war on drugs gave rise to ‘no-knock’ warrants. Breonna Taylor’s death could end them
They also stated he had almost 4x what is considered a lethal dose of Fentanyl in his system. I'm not sure which ultimately killed him. I'll wait for the evidence to come out at trial before I convict the man of murder. He's only a POS at this point.

Is the rate at which AA are killed any higher than white or other races/ethnicities based on contact with police or are you just citing an overall number without context? I haven't looked into those statistics but have looked at others that absolutely refute the commonly recited narrative that police hunt AA's.

The war on drugs isn't racist, it unfortunately hits and overtakes the most poverty striken segments of the population for sure. But I'm not sure you can call it Racist.

The one area I can absolutely agree with you on a charge of racism is the judicial system where POC get disproportionately longer sentences for similar crimes.

I'll add another variant - if racism is defined by size of group (majority vs minority) does that mean that a large minority group can be racist towards a smaller minority group?

Can Hispanic/Latino be racist to black? Can black be racist to Asian?

VN Store

Back