That's racist!

I haven't read the article but is it actually saying it's bad to fly the flag, or just a signal of right vs. Left? I'll bet that it doesn't say it's bad or racist. It's a weird thing but the flag feels like it's been co-opted by Trump people and I don't want to be confused with them. Quite the dilemma.

There’s no dilemma. Nobody would confuse a liberal for a patriotic Trump supporter or a patriot in general.

How does not wanting to see the flag weaponized by a particular political group make one a liberal?

It takes two sides for that to happen. One side respects the symbol, and the other side doesn't. I've been lazy about flying the flag, but I'll fly it now to show that I disagree with someone else's disrespect. This is a national symbol - get in or get out.

We've had the discussions about standing and kneeling - and even among vets here there is disagreement. Hog has said we served so people could have the opportunity to kneel and is OK with it. I believe it's disrespectful that people abuse the "right" that some have paid with their lives to provide. A friend and I were discussing it, and his take is what have people who kneel ever done to earn the right to disrespect the flag.

Just curious; what percentage of the commenters in this thread are people of color? Is anyone participating who has shared actual lived experience as a person of color? Is there a variety of viewpoints being shared by people of color?

A bunch of pigment challenged keyboard warriors talking second hand and making inferences and judgment about lived experiences that aren't being shared here is humorous when you think about it. And I include myself in that rebuke.
I’m in the “not white” group.

Reactions: AshG
No matter how hard you try to deflect, the reality is marijuana prohibition has an ugly racial past. Keep going on about my use of "literally" as if that matters one little bit.

Help me understand how black people are disproportionately predisposed to smoking marijuana as compared to other ethnic groups, or any other drug for that matter. It’s another excuse in a long line of excuses

Help me understand how black people are disproportionately predisposed to smoking marijuana as compared to other ethnic groups, or any other drug for that matter. It’s another excuse in a long line of excuses

You could argue with a wall and it would make more sense.

Reactions: AM64
Well, prevailing attitudes about weed have at least partially been driven by race. Literally, a congressman pushing for its ban said something like, "all Mexicans smoke marijuana, and all Mexicans are crazy" on the floor in the capitol.
Prevailing? Where’s your source data to support this claim.

It takes two sides for that to happen. One side respects the symbol, and the other side doesn't. I've been lazy about flying the flag, but I'll fly it now to show that I disagree with someone else's disrespect. This is a national symbol - get in or get out.

We've had the discussions about standing and kneeling - and even among vets here there is disagreement. Hog has said we served so people could have the opportunity to kneel and is OK with it. I believe it's disrespectful that people abuse the "right" that some have paid with their lives to provide. A friend and I were discussing it, and his take is what have people who kneel ever done to earn the right to disrespect the flag.
I think the point of rights is that they aren’t earned. With kneeling in professional sports, I see it as multi faceted issue. Why do sorts events need to have the national anthem to begin with?

As an employee I don’t believe I have the right to express myself if it conflicts with my employers policies. If I were the NFL I would have gotten rid of the anthem or done it before players came to the field.

I think Republicans should be making a higher priority on freedom instead of this hyper patriotism and Trumpism that’s going on. Liberty should have a much higher value than some sort of flag obligation. The government serves us, not the other way around.

Reactions: hog88
I think the point of rights is that they aren’t earned. With kneeling in professional sports, I see it as multi faceted issue. Why do sorts events need to have the national anthem to begin with?

As an employee I don’t believe I have the right to express myself if it conflicts with my employers policies. If I were the NFL I would have gotten rid of the anthem or done it before players came to the field.

I think Republicans should be making a higher priority on freedom instead of this hyper patriotism and Trumpism that’s going on. Liberty should have a much higher value than some sort of flag obligation. The government serves us, not the other way around.

I tend to agree in part; my solution all along has been to play the nation anthem etc while players are in the locker room. I honestly don't even see a real reason today for the national anthem or invocation at events - just something to protest. It's common to have nation anthems played at international events; and if a player wishes to disrespect his or her national honors there, then that person should never have been seen acceptable as a representative in the first place.

I don't equate US flags at political events as anything other than patriotism - as it should be. I can't say the Trump camp was overdoing it so much as the left was on full display not as patriots but as dissenters - often spoiled brats. Go back in time and look at July 4th celebrations and you'll see plenty of US flags, bunting, and so on. It's not the time for other symbolism. Political events were typically much the same - R&D. Don't play change up like it's historically the way things were because a lot of us here are old enough to remember.

Well, prevailing attitudes about weed have at least partially been driven by race. Literally, a congressman pushing for its ban said something like, "all Mexicans smoke marijuana, and all Mexicans are crazy" on the floor in the capitol.
Yep. definitely evidence of 'prevailing'.

I'd love to hear the mental gymnastics they must have had to complete to draw that correlation. I'm sure there is solid scientific evidence.....

Maybe fireworks manufacturers could come up with a menthol firework?

I had the same thought. Menthol or skunk weed.

Reactions: Carl Pickens

VN Store

Back