The 2024 MLB Draft - Discussion Thread

I'd watch the last few rounds for any big picks. Teams can offer quite a lot once getting through all the financial hoops early on. I was teammates and friends with several kids in high school/travel ball that got pre-arranged $200-600K bonuses in the last round of the draft (mid-to-late 2010s). MLB is very weird and different with the caps and team needs.

I'd watch the last few rounds for any big picks. Teams can offer quite a lot once getting through all the financial hoops early on. I was teammates and friends with several kids in high school/travel ball that got pre-arranged $200-600K bonuses in the last round of the draft (mid-to-late 2010s). MLB is very weird and different with the caps and team needs.
It used to be a big advantage for big market teams because you could spend unlimited on the draft (as far as no restrictions on after 10th round guys, etc) but they did away with that quickly.

Based on what I’m seeing I wouldn’t doubt it for a minute. However, I’m a little confused on why it’s advantageous for a team or a player who doesn’t get drafted by x round to go late?

Expect a few more of the commits to get drafted tomorrow but wouldn't freak out until we hear additional info. Teams will draft guys they know they can't sign to build the relationship (not as common since they went form 40 to 20 rounds) or they'll draft a guy that's a reach financially and see if they cobble enough savings together to get to his number.

Based on what I’m seeing I wouldn’t doubt it for a minute. However, I’m a little confused on why it’s advantageous for a team or a player who doesn’t get drafted by x round to go late?
From my experience, it is fringe top-level guys asking for too much money to sign. Teams see negative risk/reward for the $$/talent projection early but can roll the dice in the last few rounds. It used to be fairly common when it was a 40 round draft. You wouldn’t see $2M, but you’d see SEC commits signing for $350K in the last round. It’s a bit like game theory.

This draft couldn't have went any better for TV. You lose 2 commits and they play the same position.
And we still have Abernathy and Marin at that position.

I don’t wanna count my chickens, because we could still lose those 2 and others, but as of right now, we’re in good shape.

VN Store

Back