The 2024 MLB Draft - Discussion Thread

The teams that consistently win or are in playoffs every season such as the Braves and Dodgers still went the high school route. They are in no hurry to rush players to MLB. It's good to see guys choose College route but I still rather draft a 17 year old and develop him in farm system.
Good point about the better organizations.
I guess you have teams like the A’s who just want to get this draft nonsense over with, draft an already established guy and trade him as quick as possible!
🤠

I don’t understand the college draft very well. Is there anyone that was drafted have the option of coming back for us? Like they want to improve or is everyone that got drafted gone?
If you are a Sophomore eligible or Junior you go no benefit to come back to college. MLB teams don't like 22 years and 23 year olds.

If you are a Sophomore eligible or Junior you go no benefit to come back to college. MLB teams don't like 22 years and 23 year olds.
You go if you get paid. You don't go for $100K or less because you won't get the consideration players get who sign for more. The bigger the investment, the more consideration is given.

I'd love a synopsis of the good, the bad and the ugly of the draft and it's effect on Vol baseball's incoming class from some of you " baseball savant". I don't follow pro baseball on any level outside of former vols.

... and not have to slum it in the minors.

Considering how quickly some college players ascend to the majors, it’s makes complete sense to go develop in a more enjoyable environment, get national attention in the post-season, and potentially improve your stock.
Absolutely. The SEC is a much better environment than the minor leagues. The minor league lifestyle is really crappy. There's no team cohesion. Everyone is trying to make it to the bigs and each player is out for himself. 4 or 5 players often live in small apartments where some sleep on mattresses on the floor. Furthermore, there's little emphasis on winning. It's all about player development. It's really hard to make it to the show unless you're "anointed". I saw "anointed" players come thru the local AA franchise and move up quickly while players with much better stats languished in the minors.

Reactions: EZE and HeadVol77
I don’t understand the college draft very well. Is there anyone that was drafted have the option of coming back for us? Like they want to improve or is everyone that got drafted gone?
The leverage being mentioned is the option to return to school if the drafting team doesn't meet that player's dollar number he would like in order to pass up his last year(s) of eligibility.

If a team drafts a kid in the first or second round and he doesnt sign, they get that pick back the following year, minus one slot (player is drafted with the #10 pick and doesn't sign, then the club gets the #11 pick the following year). If he is drafted outside of the top 2 rounds and then doesn't sign, the team gets no compensation.

This is why you will hear terms like "signability" mentioned in the draft process, and over slot (money paid to entice a player above his draft slot value) and under slot (lesser money paid to a player below his draft slot value). Some really talented high school kids will go undrafted until the 19th or 20th round because they are considered unsignable because they are hellbent on going to college. Teams are OK risking their last pick on a super talented player who may change his mind at the last minute. College kids with the option to return for their junior or senior years pose a similar risk, but they all have agents/advisors who will float their asking price out there and most clubs have a decent idea of who can be signed and who can't, especially at the top of the draft (first 5 rounds).

Seniors without eligibility to return to college have little leverage to try and bargain with teams outside of refusing to sign, playing international league ball, and then re-entering the draft the following year with even less leverage as they've aged a year.

So, yes and no. He loses the leverage by not having the option to return, but the increased production/visibility/competition will make him more marketable and attractive. The downside is that the team that drafted him can lowball him on his slot value by attempting to pay him well under slot. Then it becomes a standoff to see who budges; the team or the player. As @cthvolsfan pointed out, the team loses that slot value from their signing pool if the player refuses to sign if drafted in the first 10 rounds, and also receives no draft pick compensation if drafted outside the top 2 rounds. So, rounds 3-10 are tricky for the team because they run risk of losing a valuable pick and the slot value from their salary pool for draft picks. That gives the player a little bit of leverage being drafted in those rounds because the loss for the team is threefold (lose the player, lose the pick, lose the draft slot dollar value). But the team also knows that the player has little leverage with no option to return to school, as well. Most often, they arrive at a compromise, but often it costs the players his first year in rookie ball or low-A while negotiations take place.

I'd love a synopsis of the good, the bad and the ugly of the draft and it's effect on Vol baseball's incoming class from some of you " baseball savant". I don't follow pro baseball on any level outside of former vols.
Thus far, two of our signees have been drafted and it’s almost a certainty that they’ll sign. Both were expected to go, so this wasn’t really a surprise. Both are at the SS position, where we’ve already got some depth.

Aside from that, it’s looking like we’ve got a great shot to get both of our top pitching prospects (Seibert and Kuhns) to campus next fall. That’s incredible news. Anything can happen for the remainder of the draft, but honestly things couldn’t have gone much better for us to this point. We’re likely to retain a huge chunk of a very talented class, so prepare for a fun year.

VN Store

Back