The 2024 MLB Draft - Discussion Thread

Any thoughts on non top guys getting drafted?
This is what I would like to know too, but unfortunately I don't think many words are put into print regarding the lower rounds. I have watched plenty of High-A baseball (since my city has a team) and can say that I think most anyone on our roster could compete at that level for sure.

Teams at top use to drafting early are going to draft MLB ready players in College. Teams like the Braves and Dodgers amongst other that pick later in first still would rather have the 16 or 17 year old high school pitcher and develop them in farm system.

Good teams are in no rush for players to develop.
I think Carter Stewart (2018) somewhat scared the Braves off of high school arms in the 1st round. They've only drafted two of them since (Owen Murphy and JR Ritchie) and both have required Tommy John since being drafted.

Perhaps that is a shift in philosophy. Stewart was Alex Anthopolous's first draft pick after coming to Atlanta as GM.

I think Carter Stewart (2018) somewhat scared the Braves off of high school arms in the 1st round. They've only drafted two of them since (Owen Murphy and JR Ritchie) and both have required Tommy John since being drafted.

Perhaps that is a shift in philosophy. Stewart was Alex Anthopolous's first draft pick after coming to Atlanta as GM.
I would like to see Anthopoulos get a bat at 24 in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigorangefaninga
In 2022, we had a weekend staff of Dollander (transfer), Burns (freshman), and Beam (freshman). Then we had a 4th weekend ace who came back slowly while recovering from an injury, but gave us another starter come postseason in Blade Tidwell.

I’m envisioning a 2025 staff of Doyle (transfer), Seibert (freshman), Kuhns (freshman), and AJ Russell coming back slowly.

In 2022, we had a weekend staff of Dollander (transfer), Burns (freshman), and Beam (freshman). Then we had a 4th weekend ace who came back slowly while recovering from an injury, but gave us another starter come postseason in Blade Tidwell.

I’m envisioning a 2025 staff of Doyle (transfer), Seibert (freshman), Kuhns (freshman), and AJ Russell coming back slowly.
Loy midweek?

Joe Doyle on the 247 pod said he thinks Anson Seibert makes it to campus and he leans towards Kuhns making it to Knoxville, as well.

Man, what a coup it would be if both of those arms make it to Knoxville.
Wow...I'll believe that when I see it. But man, that would be incredible.

There is a Mike Wilson column about the draft on the front page of today's News Sentinel.

Good synopsis on each player and their skills and weaknesses.

VN Store

Back