The 2024 MLB Draft - Discussion Thread

As a follow up to Keith Law and his 2024 draft prospects, this morning he slots CMo to the Chubs at 14.-

"Moore’s a big model darling now, as is his brother* Malcolm at Stanford (*note: they’re not actually brothers), and both seem high on the Cubs’ list based on what other scouts believe. I think the Cubs are a dark horse on Benge and Cijntje. They’ve taken players like Vance Honeycutt in the past, but never this high."

As a follow up to Keith Law and his 2024 draft prospects, this morning he slots CMo to the Chubs at 14.-

"Moore’s a big model darling now, as is his brother* Malcolm at Stanford (*note: they’re not actually brothers), and both seem high on the Cubs’ list based on what other scouts believe. I think the Cubs are a dark horse on Benge and Cijntje. They’ve taken players like Vance Honeycutt in the past, but never this high."
I’d love CMO on the Cubs

Ooh I didn’t think about that!
Playing in a brand new stadium in downtown Knoxville!!
I hate the Cubs but now I low key want them to draft all of our Vols, so I can watch them play in person a little longer!
The good thing about knox is we have different affiliates and different MILB levels around us so we can see a lot of former players!

I am surprised that the Knoxville baseball franchise never entered into an affiliation agreement with the Braves franchise.
Whenever the Braves were called the Boston Bees they had the Smokies as an affiliate team in 1936. They also had Kingsport from 1974-79 but from what I read they kicked the players out at the end of their season to prepare for high school football. The team would always have to play an unbalanced schedule and end the season on a ridiculously long road trip so the Braves got tired of being treated that way and didn’t resign a contract there. So it’s not for a lack of trying. You can blame the city of Kingsport on that mishap.

Whenever the Braves were called the Boston Bees they had the Smokies as an affiliate team in 1936. They also had Kingsport from 1974-79 but from what I read they kicked the players out at the end of their season to prepare for high school football. The team would always have to play an unbalanced schedule and end the season on a ridiculously long road trip so the Braves got tired of being treated that way and didn’t resign a contract there. So it’s not for a lack of trying. You can blame the city of Kingsport on that mishap.
Dobyns-Bennett is kind of a big thing up here! 1979 DB was the only blemish on our 13-1 State Championship team. 21-13, final in he rain and mud.

On the 247 pod, McKee mentioned that Tanner Wiggins has recently picked up a lot of draft interest and is probably going to sign. Good news is, he has Abernathy and Clark as more likely to make it to campus and Seibert and Kuhns at 50/50 each. The 3 other SSs (Southisene, Snyder, and Marin) are more likely to sign.

So if those odds hold up and we split with Seibert/Kuhns, get Clark and Abernathy to campus, lose Marin, Snyder, Southisene, and Wiggins, then the rest of the class makes it in, I think we’re really happy.

Dobyns-Bennett is kind of a big thing up here! 1979 DB was the only blemish on our 13-1 State Championship team. 21-13, final in he rain and mud.
That’s nice and all but these are still human beings we are talking about. You don’t just evict a baseball team that has a signed contract with your city. Pretty lousy move on their part. They knew baseball and football overlapped and didn’t have a plan. They could have had Dobyns-Bennett start their first two games on the road and then backload a bunch of home games to end the season. I’m sure they were all taking acid, cocaine, and quaaludes though, so they probably weren’t of sound mind to make those kinds of decisions.

On the 247 pod, McKee mentioned that Tanner Wiggins has recently picked up a lot of draft interest and is probably going to sign. Good news is, he has Abernathy and Clark as more likely to make it to campus and Seibert and Kuhns at 50/50 each. The 3 other SSs (Southisene, Snyder, and Marin) are more likely to sign.

So if those odds hold up and we split with Seibert/Kuhns, get Clark and Abernathy to campus, lose Marin, Snyder, Southisene, and Wiggins, then the rest of the class makes it in, I think we’re really happy.

Losing all 3 of Southisene, Snyder, and Marin would really suck though.

VN Store

Back