The American polity is cracked, and might collapse. Canada must prepare

we've discussed prior but I'll just reiterate that to me cancel culture is the conscious attempt to cancel something; to stop it from existing or to cause it harm for some offense. boycotts are a mechanism that could be used to cancel but in and of themselves are not canceling. if you Dad decided he would no longer patronize Subway he isn't necessarily trying to cause harm to Subway. Now if he organized a boycott and attempted to harm Subway or force them to make some changes he wanted then he'd be moving closer to cancel culture.

So it has to be organized? I don't think that's requisite. I think the fact that he's bashing them, spreading the word, and boycotting them is enough.

After Donald Trump lost the election and attempted a coup, I think words like wannabe dictator and fascist are accurately applied to him and numerous Republicans. Calling them Nazis is probably a stretch, but we do not know how low they will sink. Republicans appear to have no bottom.
Calling it a coup is ridiculous. Comparing then to Nazis is brain dead idiocy.

Am I the only who would consider the left getting many of the things they’ve called for to be a coup?

Ending the filibuster
Packing the court
adding two left wing states
abolishing the electoral college
Dropping the voting age to 16

How many of those things would they have to accomplish before we considered it a coup? For me packing the court alone would be enough of a power grab to justify exiting the union

OK that's fine. The social media component of cancel culture is what I'm specifically referring to because it has a much greater impact on public opinion than your Dad saying to his group of buddies at poker night that he is boycotting Subway.

I'm not sure you're right about that. I see social media cancel culture dissuading people en masse, too. Not sure what the net effect is.

Calling it a coup is ridiculous. Comparing then to Nazis is brain dead idiocy.

You are mistaken. Trump and numerous of his supporters attempted to overthrow a legitimately certified election, with salvoes of lies and then a violent attack on Congress to stop the Electoral Vote Count. That is an attempted coup. If you are trying to make excuses for it and cover it up, then you are in for a rude shock if you expect to be thought of as other than a traitor to our Constitution and our Republic. If that is what you are doing, then that is what you are.

Add: Calling then Nazis is a stretch. I see people using that word as if they do not know what it means.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN Ribs
Am I the only who would consider the left getting many of the things they’ve called for to be a coup?

Ending the filibuster - That will bite them in the ass so hard and so fast it would be considered a self-inflicted wound
Packing the court - I am not a fan of this at all, but Mitch McConnell's maneuvering may make it palatable to too many people
adding two left wing states - Adding a state shouldn't matter if it's left, right, purple, polkadot, etc. If the proper procedures have been followed and enough time has passed for serious debate and someone pulls the party card, they deserve to be castrated Basque style
abolishing the electoral college - Does it really prevent tyranny of the majority or does it allow for tyranny of the minority? This should take a Constitutional amendment, it's that serious an issue.
Dropping the voting age to 16 - that would be pretty dumb. Not old enough to serve in the military, not old enough to vote.

The author is perfect example of what is wrong with being a partisan. There is virtually no logic behind anything he is proposing. He's blaming the political failures and harmful successes in the march to Idiocracy on one political party. He's a damn fool, many highly educated people have insulated themselves from society and have indoctrinated themselves into lunacy.

Reactions: volinbham
So it has to be organized? I don't think that's requisite. I think the fact that he's bashing them, spreading the word, and boycotting them is enough.

no - it doesn't have to be organized per se.

in your original example you left out the bashing them, spreading the word part.

It is about intent - is he trying to cause the harm, stop them from doing something, etc? If yes, then it looks like an attempted canceling. It just won't be that effective due to the limited reach he has.

If he just decides Subway doesn't fit his values or thinks quality has gone to hell or had a bad experience and has decided to stop patronizing them as a result then it isn't an attempted canceling.

Plenty of personal boycotts fit the latter example.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Ending the filibuster - That will bite them in the ass so hard and so fast it would be considered a self-inflicted wound
Packing the court - I am not a fan of this at all, but Mitch McConnell's maneuvering may make it palatable to too many people
adding two left wing states - Adding a state shouldn't matter if it's left, right, purple, polkadot, etc. If the proper procedures have been followed and enough time has passed for serious debate and someone pulls the party card, they deserve to be castrated Basque style
abolishing the electoral college - Does it really prevent tyranny of the majority or does it allow for tyranny of the minority? This should take a Constitutional amendment, it's that serious an issue.
Dropping the voting age to 16 - that would be pretty dumb. Not old enough to serve in the military, not old enough to vote.

I’m curious what do you believe Mitch did that was abnormal?

We have a long tradition of adding states in a balanced manner. It matters because the only reason they wish to do it is to control. Many on the left openly talk about their distain for how the senate works.

The electoral college allows for the will of the states to be balanced with the will of the overall population. It’s a good compromise.

I’m curious what do you believe Mitch did that was abnormal?

We have a long tradition of adding states in a balanced manner. It matters because the only reason they wish to do it is to control. Many on the left openly talk about their distain for how the senate works.

The electoral college allows for the will of the states to be balanced with the will of the overall population. It’s a good compromise.

Mitch changes the rules based on their ability to promote his purposes. A moral and ethical leader would apply the same justification he used to stall the appointment of Merrick Garland to delay the appointment of ABC. The intentional failure to provide consistent action between the two situations is something I find disgusting.

Can you share with me documented examples - primary sources, preferably - of intent to add states solely for the purpose of changing a balance of power?

A president who wins the electoral college but loses the popular vote has no basis to discuss their victory as a landslide or a mandate of the people. A win by a technicality is still a win, but the President should understand they are still operating from a minority position.

Reactions: zeppelin128
Mitch changes the rules based on their ability to promote his purposes. A moral and ethical leader would apply the same justification he used to stall the appointment of Merrick Garland to delay the appointment of ABC. The intentional failure to provide consistent action between the two situations is something I find disgusting.

Can you share with me documented examples - primary sources, preferably - of intent to add states solely for the purpose of changing a balance of power?

A president who wins the electoral college but loses the popular vote has no basis to discuss their victory as a landslide or a mandate of the people. A win by a technicality is still a win, but the President should understand they are still operating from a minority position.

1. Mitch did no such thing. He did what was normal and precedented. In the last year of a presidency if the senate matches the president, history says they will appoint a new justice. If the senate does not match the president they normally do not.

You disagree that is the norm?

2. Unless they openly state they want to add 2 left wing states for the sole purpose of political power you’re going to pretend it’s not true? Seems like an odd standard.

3. Okay? I don’t think I ever said anything about any of that

no - it doesn't have to be organized per se.

in your original example you left out the bashing them, spreading the word part.

It is about intent - is he trying to cause the harm, stop them from doing something, etc? If yes, then it looks like an attempted canceling. It just won't be that effective due to the limited reach he has.

If he just decides Subway doesn't fit his values or thinks quality has gone to hell or had a bad experience and has decided to stop patronizing them as a result then it isn't an attempted canceling.

Plenty of personal boycotts fit the latter example.

1641317638188.png

Have to disagree on the popular vote part. Winning the popular vote is not the goal. To even consider the popular vote in your strategy to win the Presidency is ridiculous. If you win 60% of the states, and 75% of the counties, you dominated! The fact that the libtards in Cali and New York didn’t vote for you is meaningless. If the goal was to win the popular vote, Presidential candidates would all run on a platform of preferred pronouns and baby killing.

We aren’t America. We are the United States of America.

Have to disagree on the popular vote part. Winning the popular vote is not the goal. To even consider the popular vote in your strategy to win the Presidency is ridiculous. If you win 60% of the states, and 75% of the counties, you dominated! The fact that the libtards in Cali and New York didn’t vote for you is meaningless. If the goal was to win the popular vote, Presidential candidates would all run on a platform of preferred pronouns and baby killing.

We aren’t America. We are the United States of America.

We have different ideas of governing, then. And those with different views are not epithets, they are Imago Dei.

Who is in office right now? A right-wing dictatorship?

You think in two dimensions and miss the movement on the third. Our party's best hope, and America's best hope, is that the populists, isolationists, and nihilists who grab all the attention eat each other alive and leave previous leadership exactly as it is: previous.

You think in two dimensions and miss the movement on the third. Our party's best hope, and America's best hope, is that the populists, isolationists, and nihilists who grab all the attention eat each other alive and leave previous leadership exactly as it is: previous.
What is our party Ash? I don't blindly vote in one direction all the time.

Mitch changed no rules. He just went with common precedent. If the senate opposes the president during an election year, in the majority of cases, the candidate is not confirmed.

Why do you believe that’s abnormal or that the proper response to it is to pack the courts and possibly end the union?

Attachments

• F3D143F2-A012-45B6-B3D8-95C1E03FB421.jpeg
    F3D143F2-A012-45B6-B3D8-95C1E03FB421.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 4
You are mistaken. Trump and numerous of his supporters attempted to overthrow a legitimately certified election, with salvoes of lies and then a violent attack on Congress to stop the Electoral Vote Count. That is an attempted coup. If you are trying to make excuses for it and cover it up, then you are in for a rude shock if you expect to be thought of as other than a traitor to our Constitution and our Republic. If that is what you are doing, then that is what you are.

Add: Calling then Nazis is a stretch. I see people using that word as if they do not know what it means.

LOL!!!!

VN Store

Back