The Atlanta Braves Thread (Terry Pendleton Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the Patriots but I've never had a problem with the Sox or Celtics.

Since you're exiled over in Alabama, you may have had a limited number of opportunities to interface with Actual Boston Fans. I have not lacked for that here in Atlanta.

The upshot is that Boston fans still like to think of themselves as these romantically tortured fans, like Cleveland. OH GOD THE WORLD IS SO AGAINST US. And incredible, all-four-sports success in the last decade hasn't been able to shake it. They've won almost 10 recent championships, yet all they can talk about is how HAAAHD IT IS TO BE A BAAHSTAHN FAAN. After talking to a pantload of these jackholes in the bars over the last few years, I never need to see them win anything again.

Since you're exiled over in Alabama, you may have had a limited number of opportunities to interface with Actual Boston Fans. I have not lacked for that here in Atlanta.

The upshot is that Boston fans still like to think of themselves as these romantically tortured fans, like Cleveland. OH GOD THE WORLD IS SO AGAINST US. And incredible, all-four-sports success in the last decade hasn't been able to shake it. They've won almost 10 recent championships, yet all they can talk about is how HAAAHD IT IS TO BE A BAAHSAHN FAAN. After talking to a pantload of these jackholes in the bars over the last few years, I never need to see them win anything again.

Lol, pretty dead on with that impression.

The upshot is that Boston fans still like to think of themselves as these romantically tortured fans, like Cleveland. OH GOD THE WORLD IS SO AGAINST US. And incredible, all-four-sports success in the last decade hasn't been able to shake it. They've won almost 10 recent championships, yet all they can talk about is how HAAAHD IT IS TO BE A BAAHSAHN FAAN. After talking to a pantload of these jackholes in the bars over the last few years, I never need to see them win anything again.

Except the Bruins now that Jagr is gone.

Except the Bruins now that Jagr is gone.

Why except the Bruins? Most of their frigging fans are the worst sort of bandwaggoners, BAAAAHSTAAAN fans who ignored the team while they sucked, but who were happy enough to jump right on once the team was good again. I regard the Boston Bruins about like I regard Kentucky football -- there's no real reason to hate them until I remember that those jackasses are all the same MFers who root for BIG BLOOO BASKETBALL. Likewise, the vast majority of Bruins fans are BAAAHSTAAAN fans. So F em. Present company excluded of course.

Why except the Bruins? Most of their frigging fans are the worst sort of bandwaggoners, BAAAAHSTAAAN fans who ignored the team while they sucked, but who were happy enough to jump right on once the team was good again. I regard the Boston Bruins about like I regard Kentucky football -- there's no real reason to hate them until I remember that those jackasses are all the same MFers who root for BIG BLOOO BASKETBALL. Likewise, the vast majority of Bruins fans are BAAAHSTAAAN fans. So F em. Present company excluded of course.

'Twas just a joke about your hatred of Jagr during our discussions about the Cup finals last year. Trust me, I've never been sympathetic to anything Boston except for that one team. I fell in love with a sport, and a team, at 10 when my cousin lived in Mass and started playing hockey during the Neeley, Borque, and Oates days.

'Twas just a joke about your hatred of Jagr during our discussions about the Cup finals last year. Trust me, I've never been sympathetic to anything Boston except for that one team. I fell in love with a sport, and a team, at 10 when my cousin lived in Mass and started playing hockey during the Neeley, Borque, and Oates days.

I'm a Caps fan from living up there for 2 years in the early 90s. Hockey is passion. You never move on from the team you rooted for first. I get it.

At least Jagr's gone now, and I can go back to regarding the Bruins as generically as possible. As opposed to visualizing your whole team as ass_holes with mullets.

Has there ever been another city that has won championships in all four major North American sports in a 10 year period?

What citys would even be in the conversation? New York maybe sometime back in the day? Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Jets all have championship history but i don't know about their hockey team or time frames of their championships.

The New York Knicks have only won two championships, both in the early 70s. The New York Rangers didn't win a championship between 1940 and 1994. It's not NYC. I think Boston is probably it.

I meant back in the days of 3 baseball teams in the city and such. Still wasn't sure but thought that might be a possibility.

I could consistently do a Rubik's Cube in under 30 seconds when I was 13, back at the height of the Rubik's Cube thing. Probably couldn't do one at all anymore. O the useless effort I expended on that. Even Dungons and Dragons was an upgrade.

I was actually pretty good at it when I was a kid. I had all the formulas memorized. Unfortunately, my brain power has diminished significantly since then.

Big ups to either of you if you learned how to do the cube in the pre-internet age. I didn't learn till about 5 years ago, and it was really pretty simple thanks to there being so many videos and writeups about it online. The way I learned to do it is simply to start by getting the cross on top and then completing the corners and work my way down. I've never done it in 30 seconds or even close like Verc was talking about, but that way just seemed the easiest to learn and memorize. I still have it sitting on my desk here at home and try to mix it up and solve it every so often just keep from forgetting how to do it.

The New York Knicks have only won two championships, both in the early 70s. The New York Rangers didn't win a championship between 1940 and 1994. It's not NYC. I think Boston is probably it.

Yep. Detroit may be close too if it weren't for the Lions...unless your going waaayy back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back