The Atlanta Braves Thread (Terry Pendleton Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NzQrJZY.gif

Reactions: 2 people
What I saw was the athletic department pretty much shot down most of it as lies. Then they fired the band director today for insubordination. I haven't followed it all that closely though

Have to say that firing the band director today makes me a lot more skeptical about their denial that there was anything to this.

Have to say that firing the band director today makes me a lot more skeptical about their denial that there was anything to this.

Yeah thought the same initially, though somebody said in one of the threads that this came because he refused to attend organizational meeting that the athletic department has each week of a home game to plan things out. I'm not one to believe every message board rumor, but if true it makes the administrative leave make more sense

Only suspended at this point.

Thanks, was just going off the Sousa relieved of his duties thread title. Hadn't read the actual article yet to see he was placed on administrative leave.

Lot of former band members seem to be happy about this in that thread calling him an arrogant ass and the Dooley of band directors.

Yeah thought the same initially, though somebody said in one of the threads that this came because he refused to attend organizational meeting that the athletic department has each week of a home game to plan things out. I'm not one to believe every message board rumor, but if true it makes the administrative leave make more sense

Apparently

1. Band director starts raising a stink to generate controversy about the band's reduced profile at games
2. After public stink is raised, lo and behold band has a higher profile at the next game
3. UTAD denies everything
4. Band director gets fired

Add that timeline to the provost's comments about how "conflict between competing interests at the university is normal" and it seems overwhelmingly likely that the general thrust of what was rumored about the band was true: the UTAD wants to reduce their profile at football games. I'd be shocked if this weren't largely about having the band shut up so they can get more advertising in.

It also seems pretty clear that this band director is an ass and nobody is sad to see him go, but that doesn't mean he wasn't generally right about what the UTAD is up to.

Reactions: 1 person
Apparently

1. Band director starts raising a stink to generate controversy about the band's reduced profile at games
2. After public stink is raised, lo and behold band has a higher profile at the next game

Add that timeline to the provost's comments about how "conflict between competing interests at the university is normal" and it seems overwhelmingly likely that the general thrust of what was rumored about the band was true: the UTAD wants to reduce their profile at football games. I'd be shocked if this weren't largely about having the band shut up so they can get more advertising in.

It also seems pretty clear that this band director is an ass and nobody is sad to see him go, but that doesn't mean he wasn't generally right about what the UTAD is up to.

True, and you kind of have to give the guy credit he has people talking about the band the week of the South Carolina game.

Apparently

For me, the band is a large part of what makes the college game experience different, and better, than NFL games. I don't want to see the band's participation lessened, but they could shake things up a little bit and not play the same tired songs (not referring to Rocky Top, Down The Field, etc.) but be a little more modern and/or creative in what they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back