The cancel culture is getting out of control

Lol. It’s what you’re saying. 🤣🤣 Talk about lack of self awareness.
That's not what I said at all.

Once again, it's not the law anymore. At least, not at the moment. A judge has blocked it.

I don't have a problem with children being restricted access to certain books, but who is the arbiter of what is appropriate and what is not? Is it state and local governments?

I do have a problem with the criminalization of public libraries. It's government overreach and an effort to bully and intimidate librarians into removing certain books from their shelves altogether ...

That's not what I said at all.

Once again, it's not the law anymore. At least, not at the moment. A judge has blocked it.

I don't have a problem with children being restricted access to certain books, but who is the arbiter of what is appropriate and what is not? Is it state and local governments?

I do have a problem with the criminalization of public libraries. It's government overreach and an effort to bully and intimidate librarians into removing certain books from their shelves altogether ...

These are personal issues I hope you can overcome. Maybe a few crown and cokes will help.

Who makes the determination as to what is appropriate and what is not? The Arkansas state government? Because Sarah Huckabee Sanders strikes me as someone who is quite prudish in nature. "Inappropriate material" is such ambiguous criteria that is absurd to criminalize librarians for not adhering to such a vague standard.

What's next? Do we prosecute movie ticket agents for admitting kids into movies such as Brokeback Mountain? Shouldn't it be left up to parents to monitor what their kids do outside of school? These are not school libraries that we are talking about here ...

This is a classic case of government overreach. There was a time when Tipper Gore was ridiculed by Republicans for her crusade against "the corrupting influence of music on children." Republicans were right for doing that. However, Tipper Gore would be a perfect fit for today's Republican Party. Big government prudes and control freaks.
The moderation of content to kids is not new. Your obsession with shoving inappropriate material into kids faces is the new thing and trying to do it through the false lens of liberty and freedom is pathetic

The moderation of content to kids is not new.
I didn't say that it was ... and just like I don't have a problem with the Motion Picture Association of America placing a "Restricted" rating on sexually explicit movies, I don't have a problem with children being denied access to sexually explicit books.

Your obsession with shoving inappropriate material into kids faces is the new thing and trying to do it through the false lens of liberty and freedom is pathetic
Once again, we circle back to the problem. "Inappropriate" is too vague. Who makes the determination as to what constitutes inappropriate books and what doesn't? Is it state and local governments, or someone else?

... and just as we don't imprison ticket agents at the window of a movie theater for admitting minors into R rated movies ... we shouldn't be sending librarians to jail either. It's overkill.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
" I find it rather ironic that the Cultural Revolution has taken Stalin's airbrush and wiped out Queen's classic "Fat-Bottomed Girls" from the collective memory. "

In 'Body Positivity' Era, Queen's 'Fat Bottom Girls' Gets Canceled

Amid Era Of ‘Body Positivity’ Queen’s ‘Fat Bottom Girls’ Gets Canceled
BY: TRISTAN JUSTICE
AUGUST 21, 2023
3 MIN READ
25168022601_d627681bc3_h-e1692637494603-1200x675.jpg

From Lizzo to Meghan Trainor, music celebrating bigger women has become big business in the era of big people. Perhaps if the 1970s rock band Queen had been led by a woman, particularly a bigger woman, they too would join the hall of fame of body-positive musicians.
Except on Saturday, the Daily Mail reported the band’s blockbuster track, “Fat Bottomed Girls,” was left off the group’s Greatest Hits collection.

Written by guitarist Brian May, the legendary 1978 record served generations as an anthem to male admiration of women with larger-than-average bodies.
“But 45 years later, it appears that lyrics such as ‘left alone with big fat Fanny, she was such a naughty nanny, big woman, you made a bad boy out of me’ and ‘fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin’ world go round’ have been hit by the woke cancel culture,” the Mail reported. “It was such a popular hit for Queen that it appeared fourth on the band’s original 1981 greatest hits album along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Don’t Stop Me Now and We Will Rock You.”
Last week, however, “Fat Bottomed Girls” was absent from a list of songs put out by Universal Records highlighting Queen’s greatest hits.
While the exact circumstances of the song’s omission from the label remain unclear, an industry insider told the Daily Mail the song was inappropriately singled out.

“It is the talk of the music industry, nobody can work out why such a good-natured fun song can’t be acceptable in today’s society.”
If the song was omitted for its male appreciation for big women, the cancellation is not only ironic under the shadow of Lizzo’s star power but signals a threat to music by other artists who express reverence for women of a larger size. Coincidentally, Lizzo’s stardom has been recently dimmed by accusations of sexual misconduct and more frivolous charges of “fat shaming.”
Queen’s 1978 release of “Fat Bottomed Girls” was a precursor to Sir Mix-a-Lot’s number-one hit to follow 14 years later, “Baby Got Back.” The lyrics were far more explicit, as is typical with rap music. The 1992 song’s opening narrator even characterized a big-bootied black woman as a “prostitute.”
“I mean, her butt, it’s just so big,” an unnamed woman tells her friend named Becky.

The contemporary pro-fat movement operating under the banner of “body positivity” might celebrate music about male adoration for female bodies. But the ensuing cancellation of one of Queen’s most defining songs is a reminder that the movement’s imposition of “health at every size” often only goes one way.

“No sexual content around kids!!!!!!!!!!!”

*Universal removes song about fat asses from kids’ album*

“REEEEEEEEEEEEE”

“No sexual content around kids!!!!!!!!!!!”

*Universal removes song about fat asses from kids’ album*

“REEEEEEEEEEEEE”

Leaving it off a list is not "cancellation" anyway. I thought I was gonna read Spotify removed it, or something.

We are searching high and low with a high-powered microscope for things to complain about...and then invoking Stalin.

Judge Says Arkansas Can’t Prosecute Librarians For Carrying ‘Harmful’ Books—After State Joined National Push To Restrict Books

^^^^ FORBES ^^^^

How are Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders attempts to prosecute librarians not a blatant example of "cancel culture?" These aren't school libraries we are talking about here ... but rather public libraries.

This not only fits into cancel culture, but it also reflects government overreach, and an intrusion into the daily lives of American citizens. This is what Rush Limbaugh used to refer to as creating a "nanny state," where parents can no longer be trusted to monitor the activities and interests of their children, so everyone must pay a consequence.

There was a time when Republicans were against big government intrusion and overreach. Those days are long gone.

You seem to be confusing “govenrment” and “parents” throughout this post.

Government regulating government activity (public libraries) isn’t a “nanny state where parents can no longer be trusted to monitor the activities and interests of their children”.

Government regulating government activity (public libraries) isn’t a “nanny state where parents can no longer be trusted to monitor the activities and interests of their children”.
LOL. Threatening to arrest librarians is absurd government overreach.

Waiting for the GOP to realize screaming "groomer", "pedo", and "commie", is exactly the same when someone one on the left calls you racist. It's wrong, ignorant, lazy, and not productive. But at least we on the right came up with 3 words to counteract one.

“I don’t like when people say, ‘I like your politics,'” Breuer began. “We gotta stop saying that. I don’t see myself as political. What is political? That I question things, that’s political? When did that become political?”

“I had a guy on Instagram say, ‘You’re a right wing nut job.’ What? What have I said that makes you go … what is even right wing?

“If I talk about [President Joe] Biden fumbling around on a stage, does that piss you off because you’re a Democrat or a liberal? It should piss you off as a human being, as a human being. If you see some banana walking on stage and they don’t know where it’s at, or someone who can’t speak, how is that political? The minds of human beings absolutely baffle me … ‘you don’t talk about my team. My team is doing the best they can.’ I’m not political.

“Politics is professional wrestling to its highest degree, except you don’t know you’re part of the script, you don’t know it,” he said.

Go ahead and mess with Dolly.

Did anybody go after her? The article didn't indicate that.

Some irony here. Kid Rock canceled bud light, so is this a veiled lesson for him and the bud light mob?

I am curious how Dolly has largely avoided scrutiny when she's been so vocal about trans support.

Some irony here. Kid Rock canceled bud light, so is this a veiled lesson for him and the bud light mob?

I am curious how Dolly has largely avoided scrutiny when she's been so vocal about trans support.
Dolly is above all the crap.

Kid Rock didn't cancel budlight. It was already in the middle of its downfall when he got vocal. Budlight cancelled budlight.

Reactions: dovervolz
Kid Rock didn't cancel budlight. It was already in the middle of its downfall when he got vocal. Budlight cancelled budlight.
What does this even mean? He canceled them in the most literal way anybody can cancel anything in protest. He severed business ties, bashed them publicly, and made demonstrations.

What does this even mean? He canceled them in the most literal way anybody can cancel anything in protest. He severed business ties, bashed them publicly, and made demonstrations.
He didn't orchestrate the downfall or lead it. It's not like the customers said "well if kid Rock doesn't like it..."

He did not sever business ties. He put out a weird video and still sold Bud Light at his businesses. Pretty sure there was also a pic a few months after of him drinking Bud Light himself.

VN Store

Back