The disney insanity continues

See how your statement is easily turned around, as was the case in Georgia last summer with the Baseball all star game?

That was the case of businesses trying to influence government. Should that really be a two way street? Should the government punish you for exercising free speech. Something about that sounds wrong.

That was the case of businesses trying to influence government. Should that really be a two way street? Should the government punish you for exercising free speech. Something about that sounds wrong.
That sounds like true conservative values to me!

rick-flair-woo.gif

I have no problem with what two consenting adults want to do to and with each other…. None. I do however have major problems with the public school system trying to groom elementary kids…. And entertainment aimed at kids promoting it as well. It’s not their place at all
Because of the internet, social media and their friends elementary kids already know more about all kinds of sex that my generation could have imagined. A little education wouldn't be a bad thing. I think any classes containing sexual information should be available but only with parental consent.

BTW, which school system is "grooming" children and for what?

Are we advocating chinese policies? Seems an odd bedfellow. Why would any governmental agency seek to punish an American corporation for voicing an opinion?

I don't personally know of anyone advocating chinese policies? Did someone do that? Or you are just using your usual strawman argument attack?

With regards to the second statement, happens all the time and our history is replete with companies that have punished for voicing opinions. Tobacco companies voiced their opinions smoking was a good thing through advertising. We know how that eventually turned out.

In this case, a corporation has stated they will actively seek to overturn a state law. I have no problem with that. More power to them. Maybe it was not clear to you, and I apologize for it not being more understandable, so I'll clarify.

My point was that Disney as a company appears to be virtue signalling their moral character. However, they seem to completely ignore morality when it comes to the Chinese or any of the countries they do business with that have explicit laws against homosexuality. They do not seem to lose any sleep at all over that, but heaven forbid the state of Florida outlaws discussing the various aspects of human sexuality with our children in 3rd grade or lower. I propose they do this because the Chinese would quash their profits virtually overnight. They do not fear the state of Florida. Maybe they need a little fear of the government that was elected by the good people of Florida.

Reactions: allvol123
The Florida boys are out in force in this thread, PJ, LG, CW and now LW have entered the chat. They must have had a scale ruffled.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Because Florida isn't an authoritarian state yet?

Are you now in favor of the govt financially punishing businesses they don't agree with? This board takes wild swings some days

Clever. If you're insinuating I have taken that position, if you'll bother to reread my post, you'll see I asked a question. But to offer a reposte in return to your question while I do not believe in killing people as a general principle if, however, someone breaks into my house or threatens me with a knife, or some other weapon, one might find I am not as steadfast on that principle. Circumstances, right?

I am not in favor of governments picking winners and losers. However, Disney has adopted a corporate stance that is very adversarial to Florida, but have conveniently ignored all the foreign governments that seemingly have laws in conflict with their stated position: (and I quote from their statement) “We are dedicated to standing up for the rights and safety of LGBTQ+ members of the Disney family, as well as the LGBTQ+ community in Florida and across the country.”

I dislike both full blown hypocrisy and governments picking winners and losers. I applaud Disney taking a stance for something they believe. And believe they invite serious consequences for their blatant hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I don't personally know of anyone advocating chinese policies? Did someone do that? Or you are just using your usual strawman argument attack?

With regards to the second statement, happens all the time and our history is replete with companies that have punished for voicing opinions. Tobacco companies voiced their opinions smoking was a good thing through advertising. We know how that eventually turned out.

In this case, a corporation has stated they will actively seek to overturn a state law. I have no problem with that. More power to them. Maybe it was not clear to you, and I apologize for it not being more understandable, so I'll clarify.

My point was that Disney as a company appears to be virtue signalling their moral character. However, they seem to completely ignore morality when it comes to the Chinese or any of the countries they do business with that have explicit laws against homosexuality. They do not seem to lose any sleep at all over that, but heaven forbid the state of Florida outlaws discussing the various aspects of human sexuality with our children in 3rd grade or lower. I propose they do this because the Chinese would quash their profits virtually overnight. They do not fear the state of Florida. Maybe they need a little fear of the government that was elected by the good people of Florida.

The post to which I responded seemed to advocate for following a chinese lead.

Again, it is not the government of Florida's place to punish companies that claim the moral high ground while not always achieving those goals elsewhere.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Damaging Disney is not in Florida's best interest either.

57,000 jobs in florida
5.8 Billion in annual state taxes paid.
Total economic impact is 75 Billion per year

Just the sales tax from only ticket sales is more than 400M per year.

The post to which I responded seemed to advocate for following a chinese lead.

Again, it is not the government of Florida's place to punish companies that claim the moral high ground while not always achieving those goals elsewhere.

Who died and left you king? Again, I'm not advocating Florida do anything of the sort, I was trying to illustrate Disney's hypocrisy, apparently not too well based on some of the hyena responses. Disney and other American corporations conveniently ignore Chinese human rights abuses while at the same time lecturing America on how it should behave. Piss on them. Sometimes when you grab the bull, you get the horns.

Governments have punitive statutes all over their various legal codes. Sherman Antitrust anyone? Another I'm generally against, but beginning to feel that Google is getting close to needing a dose of it.

Reactions: RavinDave and hog88
Damaging Disney is not in Florida's best interest either.

57,000 jobs in florida
5.8 Billion in annual state taxes paid.
Total economic impact is 75 Billion per year

Just the sales tax from only ticket sales is more than 400M per year.
Maybe if Disney would stay out of politics, there wouldn't be any reason for the state and Disney to be hostile to one another. I'm quite sure that Disney isn't going anywhere in Florida.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Who died and left you king? Again, I'm not advocating Florida do anything of the sort, I was trying to illustrate Disney's hypocrisy, apparently not too well based on some of the hyena responses. Disney and other American corporations conveniently ignore Chinese human rights abuses while at the same time lecturing America on how it should behave. Piss on them. Sometimes when you grab the bull, you get the horns.

Governments have punitive statutes all over their various legal codes. Sherman Antitrust anyone? Another I'm generally against, but beginning to feel that Google is getting close to needing a dose of it.

They punish across the board. What you are currently advocating is punishing a corporation because it disagrees with you politically. Cannot believe you really support such stuff.

They punish across the board. What you are currently advocating is punishing a corporation because it disagrees with you politically. Cannot believe you really support such stuff.

I do it all the time. Have avoided Disney as much as possible for the last 30 years. Have dropped any number of companies that have taken stances I believe to be opposed to values I hold dear as much as possible. Cannot say I've been anywhere near perfect it on, but more than one has received a letter explaining why we no longer do business with them. I know my business is like a gnat's fart in a hurricane to them, but I sleep better.

If you're saying I advocate Florida should punish Disney based on politics, I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion based on this:

"Again, I'm not advocating Florida do anything of the sort, ... "

I will allow, however, a shot across the bows for blatant hypocrisy such as Disney's I would not lose any sleep over.

VN Store

Back