The future Liberals want

I've wondered that myself at times, pj.

Speaking only for myself, people are empowered to make their circumstances better. The issue appears to me that a rule voters must follow and fund via property tax, a political elite can circumvent because of their resources. I'd prefer freedom of movement and association without the restrictions.

Seems only fair that if I'm a taxpayer in county x I should be able to send my kids to whatever school in that county I choose.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I guess priority should go to those zoned for that school or just have a county wide lottery for each school.
It comes up in the lottery situation too, but how would bussing work in model where you get to choose? Does it automatically opt you out if you choose somewhere you aren't zoned too?

I've wondered that myself at times, pj.

Speaking only for myself, people are empowered to make their circumstances better. The issue appears to me that a rule voters must follow and fund via property tax, a political elite can circumvent because of their resources. I'd prefer freedom of movement and association without the restrictions.
What does his sending a child to a private school circumvent?

It comes up in the lottery situation too, but how would bussing work in model where you get to choose? Does it automatically opt you out if you choose somewhere you aren't zoned too?
Bussing doesn't work.

Our kids attended out of zone and the responsibility for transpo fell on our shoulders.

WRT to your "full" question, OOZ admission is only if space is available in the classroom. Children zoned get priority.

We've had kids in public, private, and in an AP school inside a large (to me) high school. They mostly were out of zone in the public school system. Parents generally know where the good schools are.
We had the means and paid property taxes in the district where they attended. I think everyone should have a voucher (up to amount spent per student by the district) to use on the school of their choice.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
What does his sending a child to a private school circumvent?
It doesn't really circumvent anything. It's just bad optics to anyone paying attention. There are millions that are stuck in bad school districts, and rather than doing something to actually improve those, he moves HIS kids to better ones. It's elitist hypocrisy, but it is his right to do it. But the leftists won't care. He will get a pass.

Personally I couldn't care less what happens in Kalifornia. The whole state can burn for all I care.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Bussing doesn't work.

Our kids attended out of zone and the responsibility for transpo fell on our shoulders.

WRT to your "full" question, OOZ admission is only if space is available in the classroom. Children zoned get priority.
Funds school equally, and we'd probably not need bussing. Follow up with student achievement being tied to whether teachers can continue to teach at the schools as well. Provide bonus pay for schools that either sends a certain percentage of graduates to college or gainfully employed after graduation. And again, this would mean we don't need bussing. I'd add, crush counties that divert funds from minority schools to those located in privileged areas schools, and/nonschool purposes.

Funds school equally, and we'd probably not need bussing. Follow up with student achievement being tied to whether teachers can continue to teach at the schools as well. Provide bonus pay for schools that either sends a certain percentage of graduates to college or gainfully employed after graduation. And again, this would mean we don't need bussing. I'd add, crush counties that divert funds from minority schools to those located in privileged areas schools, and/nonschool purposes.
🤔

isn't this essentially what is happening now, but with test scores? And thats how counties are "diverting" funds?

Reactions: whodeycin85
I guess priority should go to those zoned for that school or just have a county wide lottery for each school.
Since Green Hill High Shool opened in MJ, Wilson County has had open enrollment. Space has been limited though….last year I think Lebanon High wasn’t accepting any out of zone.
It’s cool for the kids, but when you bring athletics into the equation it becomes a discriminatory cluster F. Those kids can use open enrollment to go to a new school, but then their eligibility is in question

Bonus pay for doing their jobs? Gee what could go wrong there?

I hate to break it to you, but nothing you mentioned will help.

Schools in middle class or wealthy areas will also be better than those in poor areas. Alumni, neighbors and parents will donate and fundraise for anything the schools need or want in an effort to make them better. That will never change. That's why you pay so much more for the same house in a better school district. Even if they are funded the same by the state or county, they will not be equal.

Pairing teacher pay with graduation rates or employment won't help either. Teachers would never go to "bad" schools where they are needed the most if that was the case. They would all be lined up to go to the better schools with more parental engagement, better discipline, better facilities, and get better pay. In fact, we do this now with testing and it hurts more than it helps.

I hate to break it to you, but nothing you mentioned will help.

Schools in middle class or wealthy areas will also be better than those in poor areas. Alumni, neighbors and parents will donate and fundraise for anything the schools need or want in an effort to make them better. That will never change. That's why you pay so much more for the same house in a better school district. Even if they are funded the same by the state or county, they will not be equal.

Pairing teacher pay with graduation rates or employment won't help either. Teachers would never go to "bad" schools where they are needed the most if that was the case. They would all be lined up to go to the better schools with more parental engagement, better discipline, better facilities, and get better pay. In fact, we do this now with testing and it hurts more than it helps.
I don't doubt it when you say, "I hate to break it to you, but nothing you mentioned will help." People smarter than I can ever hope to be have advanced wonderful ideas, even advocated policies that could solve various problems, if implemented in earnest. In addition to the reasons you gave, there's more.
Humans gonna human. They will claim to be all gung ho, but really aren't. Just PR horse excretion. Or vow war against what's holding the status quo together, then like a New Year's Resolution, abandon it shortly after. Or engage in some legal or other BS maneuvering to delay implementation until it dies altogether. In short, humans aren't committed to change for the better, nope, just the opposite.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it when you say, "I hate to break it to you, but nothing you mentioned will help." People smarter than I can ever hope to be have advanced wonderful ideas, even advocated policies that could solve various problems, if implemented in earnest. In addition to the reasons you gave, there's more.
Humans gonna human. They will claim to be all gung ho, but really aren't. Just PR horse excretion. Or vow war against what's holding the status quo together, then like a New Year's Resolution, abandon it shortly after. Or engage in some legal or other BS maneuvering to delay implementation until it dies altogether. In short, humans aren't committed to change for the better, nope, just the opposite.

Really? I think humans have made great strides in changing for the better.

Really? I think humans have made great strides in changing for the better.
Daily news reports, the domestic and foreign mess we are seeing, always injustice or a war raging somewhere, and environmental destruction. One step forward, four steps back. But OK, you win.

VN Store

Back