The Future Right-Wingers Want....

Honestly, I feel like you should have more input in this topic than the state legislature, Congress, Supreme Court, etc.

Granted, I cited School Boards and they probably are the correct authority to decide this kind of stuff for your district but how much the board gets feedback from principles or teachers is probably in question.

The logic for posting 10 Commandments is likely a push to make kids behaviors better but nothing we do in our school system is going to solve that. We need to have more accountability from the parents to raise their kids right.

The last paragraph especially. Parents are the root of most of our sickness. Accountability begins (and ends) at home.

Your posts in this thread have been outstanding. Appreciate you refreshing and at some points just educating my opinions on these matters. You've posted several facts I wasn't aware of, which is great.

Timeouts aren't discipline. WTF remembers a timeout?
Yeah
Timeouts were a walk in the damn park when I was a kid. I will never forget the time my aunt beat me with a wet dish rag when I drew all over her new suede couch with an ink pen. My days of drawing on couches were over after that.

So how do we fixed the societal decay we are in now? Since you against religion what do you propose
I am not against religion. I am against the government pushing religion. any religion.

I think the changes need to go back further than just holding people accountable for their actions. or in reality we need to hold people accountable for more of their actions.

I think a lot of the decay in this nation is brought on by all the welfare in the nation. too many people have a free ride, never learn the value of earning something, are never held responsible because there is some security net, and the amount of welfare has raised the expectation of what is reasonable beyond what it is.

and in my world that means people are going to suffer. they are going to have to learn that if they don't work, they don't eat. which will cause instability, but it will right itself over time. we have dug ourselves too deep to get out of this clean.

The last paragraph especially. Parents are the root of most of our sickness. Accountability begins (and ends) at home.

Your posts in this thread have been outstanding. Appreciate you refreshing and at some points just educating my opinions on these matters. You've posted several facts I wasn't aware of, which is great.

If I could wish anything, it is that you go research on your own and don't just rely on my posts. We need more of that. Interestingly, although we get misled on a lot today, the real facts are still out there if you look for them. Our society doesn't try to censor stuff or burn books like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. Some of these items can literally be found with a 5 minute Google search (provided you need to read the resources fully to comprehend).

I am a HUGE history buff and always have been. As a child, I won awards and scored very highly in Geography, History, and Social Studies. I would consume books on the topic.

One of the interesting topics that I did for a history class in high school was the history of College Football. That is how I found out about Sewanee and its SEC history. I also discovered that Maryville was Tennessee first ever opponent in Football. the massive SIAA (first conference in the South) with over 100 teams was interesting.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not really.
Then explain why EVERY SINGLE tribe or people ever discovered has had some form of religion. Looks like if religion wasn’t necessary for human society then there should have at least been ONE atheistic tribe that merely had a general code of conduct not backed up by some linkage to a higher power.

Honestly, I feel like you should have more input in this topic than the state legislature, Congress, Supreme Court, etc.

Granted, I cited School Boards and they probably are the correct authority to decide this kind of stuff for your district but how much the board gets feedback from principles or teachers is probably in question.

The logic for posting 10 Commandments is likely a push to make kids behaviors better but nothing we do in our school system is going to solve that. We need to have more accountability from the parents to raise their kids right.
Quick back story for you. After 30 years in the business world, I decided to become a teacher.

I learned long ago that there are some fights with corporate (i.e. the schoolboard and state) that are worth fighting and some that are not. To me, this is not really that big of a deal. The students will not be affected in any real meaningful way. A poster will go on the wall and the kids will ignore it as they do with all other posters. No poster will make kids behave better.

If you want to fix issues in schools, there are a few things that after 2 years of teaching I can say with confidence that need to be done. First, go back to teaching phonics. The majority of kids cannot read anywhere close to grade level. That means in high school they are so behind that they can't do the work and usually just end up causing trouble, so they don't look stupid in front of their friends. Second, bring back books. Kids are so used to using technology to numb themselves (constantly scrolling TikTok, as an example) that they do not really pay attention to anything they are taught on a laptop or online. Make them read and understand that material, not just VIEW it.

Lastly, discipline needs to hurt. I don't mean bring back those paddles. I mean it needs to hurt their pride. The place I worked at the last two years is a bad school. The kids could cuss out a teacher, then get sent to ISS for the remainder of that class period, then they get to go right back to their next class. That only got them out of the class they hated, which was a win for the kid. As a Title I school, we are only allowed so many "days of discipline" which is idiotic. The schools are reinforcing the bad parenting, and it is ridiculous. They need real consequences such as picking up trash all day outside in the heat, cold, or rain, writing until their hands feel like they will fall off, things that make them want to never experience ISS again. That is the only way to get through to kids. This timeout BS has to stop.

Again, no poster on the wall will make a difference at all.

Sorry for the rant

Every three days, there's another story like this....Christian faith leaders are often sexual predators. Church is
obviously a wonderful place to groom....

I don't understand it when this guy surely was raised with the Ten Commandments hanging over his bed.

Quick back story for you. After 30 years in the business world, I decided to become a teacher.

I learned long ago that there are some fights with corporate (i.e. the schoolboard and state) that are worth fighting and some that are not. To me, this is not really that big of a deal. The students will not be affected in any real meaningful way. A poster will go on the wall and the kids will ignore it as they do with all other posters. No poster will make kids behave better.

If you want to fix issues in schools, there are a few things that after 2 years of teaching I can say with confidence that need to be done. First, go back to teaching phonics. The majority of kids cannot read anywhere close to grade level. That means in high school they are so behind that they can't do the work and usually just end up causing trouble, so they don't look stupid in front of their friends. Second, bring back books. Kids are so used to using technology to numb themselves (constantly scrolling TikTok, as an example) that they do not really pay attention to anything they are taught on a laptop or online. Make them read and understand that material, not just VIEW it.

Lastly, discipline needs to hurt. I don't mean bring back those paddles. I mean it needs to hurt their pride. The place I worked at the last two years is a bad school. The kids could cuss out a teacher, then get sent to ISS for the remainder of that class period, then they get to go right back to their next class. That only got them out of the class they hated, which was a win for the kid. As a Title I school, we are only allowed so many "days of discipline" which is idiotic. The schools are reinforcing the bad parenting, and it is ridiculous. They need real consequences such as picking up trash all day outside in the heat, cold, or rain, writing until their hands feel like they will fall off, things that make them want to never experience ISS again. That is the only way to get through to kids. This timeout BS has to stop.

Again, no poster on the wall will make a difference at all.

Sorry for the rant

No, it has been over 13+ years ago but I worked as a Substitute teacher off-and-on for a couple of years. I would agree with a lot of these points.

I also think we went away from general liberal arts education to focus on European model but having the more well-rounded students helped.

I also hated the block scheduling for High School. I felt like over an hour and a half in a single subject/class created issue. The classes were still taught like a 1-hour period (what I had in High School) and the rest was basically a study hall. We did a 7-period schedule and I am a bigger fan of that.

The discipline is a must and 100% agree. The class moved at the pace of the weakest student in the class. I encourage parents to put their kids in AP classes if they really want them to learn in High School as those classes tend to contain the stronger students and move faster.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Then explain why EVERY SINGLE tribe or people ever discovered has had some form of religion. Looks like if religion wasn’t necessary for human society then there should have at least been ONE atheistic tribe that merely had a general code of conduct not backed up by some linkage to a higher power.

Religion has always been used to control the masses. The easiest way to remain in power is to convince uneducated people that after a life of misery and obedience they get to spend eternity in paradise.

Reactions: EasternVol
Religion has always been used to control the masses. The easiest way to remain in power is to convince uneducated people that after a life of misery and obedience they get to spend eternity in paradise.

Meh... there are a lot of religions that didn't necessarily even teach that. Take Greek mythology as an example.

EDIT: The control the masses belief on religion comes straight from Karl Marx and Communism Ideology by the way

Interesting theory. But not all religions believe in eternity.

The man molested a 12-year-old. The "church"--not really a church--was informed about it 20 years ago---did nothing.

I think the man is rich now, yea?

Meh... there are a lot of religions that didn't necessarily even teach that. Take Greek mythology as an example.

EDIT: The control the masses belief on religion comes straight from Karl Marx and Communism Ideology by the way

It is a key (bogus) selling point for christianity, however.

VN Store

Back