The George Floyd Monument

And he will. But if drunk driving was legal like you suggest there would SO MANY more deaths as a result of those crashes. In many cases no one to pay for those losses because everyone died. Not to mention the innocent people they hit and killed.

If the punishment for crashing while drunk with no injuries, just a minor fender bender were a year in jail you'd see less drunk driving.

That’s an interesting post . So are you saying that these speed traps you guys set up isn’t actually for the safety of the citizens, but for generated revenue so the city can survive ?🤔
Otherwise refer back to post 597

Or maybe the revenue used from traffic law enforcement is used by that department? Would it make you feel better if you paid a 100$ speeding fine to a generic local government fund that was in turn distributed to the local PD? I haven’t had a speeding ticket in 25 years of driving neither has my Asian wife. Quit driving like a teenage girl while texting

Yeah that's a great idea. Police dept needs new equipment write more tickets, want to give the officers a raise write more tickets. I can't see how this would be abused at all....

I understand what you’re saying but you’ve got tunnel vision. Tickets double as revenue AND safety. Do you seriously not understand that by giving tickets, they are making the streets more safe? Not from everyone but without the threat of a ticket every road would be the autobahn. Picking up on the second part of your response, there are no detectives to solve real crimes without revenue to provide the resources to solve those crimes.
Taxes pay for what is needed. There's no need for a self perpetuating system of policing to exist. Maybe if they weren't all our making the streets safer they would have time to figure out how to arrest people without playing soldier. That is a better use of resources than hiding in the bushes hoping someone rolls thru a stop sign

Yeah that's a great idea. Police dept needs new equipment write more tickets, want to give the officers a raise write more tickets. I can't see how this would be abused at all....
Those mraps aren't cheap

If you can prove a speed “trap” it can be fought and won.

Nice side step . There are way too many people with cop friends and truck drivers on here not to know how that works . You could make it easy on us and instead of having hiring an attorney to keep it off our CDLs , you could just not show up . 😉

If the punishment for crashing while drunk with no injuries, just a minor fender bender were a year in jail you'd see less drunk driving.
No you wouldn’t. Because the penalty for driving drunk and killing someone is 15 years per and it doesn’t stop everyone. People take their chances much like I was explaining before with speeding and otherwise. They make THEIR choices knowing the consequences before they ever enter the car and the only problem you have is where the money goes? That’s a “victim” mentality

No you wouldn’t. Because the penalty for driving drunk and killing someone is 15 years per and it doesn’t stop everyone. People take their chances much like I was explaining before with speeding and otherwise. They make THEIR choices knowing the consequences before they ever enter the car and the only problem you have is where the money goes? That’s a “victim” mentality

If the DUI laws were designed for "safety" and keeping drunks off the road you guys would be down at the local bar offering sobriety tests and offering to call cabs on the weekends. But no, you set up road checks a mile down the street to catch those drunks driving instead of preventing them from driving.

I'm not a victim in any sense of the word.

Taxes pay for what is needed. There's no need for a self perpetuating system of policing to exist. Maybe if they weren't all our making the streets safer they would have time to figure out how to arrest people without playing soldier. That is a better use of resources than hiding in the bushes hoping someone rolls thru a stop sign
Do you have any idea how much money it takes to operate one department a year? Speaking out of ignorance because I don’t either but I know it’s hundreds of thousands for the smallest of departments (not including tiny town). Lord forbid that city end up with a high profile case. Like it or not this chit ain’t cheap! So if you think one avenue of revenue should be enough you must think cops are OVERpaid at an average of 35k a year.

If the DUI laws were designed for "safety" and keeping drunks off the road you guys would be down at the local bar offering sobriety tests and offering to call cabs on the weekends. But no, you set up road checks a mile down the street to catch those drunks driving instead of preventing them from driving.

Cops choice to drive drunk or yours? You just mentioned it so you know that some do that. So you can’t play victim. Why so close to the bar? Exactly what you’re claiming they DONT do. Safety. If they get you within a mile you’ve covered less road before you’re cuffed. Which eliminates the next stretch of road you “planned” to cover jeopardizing the SAFETY of others.

No more abused than our federal tax dollars, I haven’t paid a dime towards a traffic ticket but I suspect you have

No, knock on wood I haven't. Last one I got was for texting while stopped at a red light, it was tossed. Last moving violation was probably back in the 90s.

Cops choice to drive drunk or yours? You just mentioned it so you know that some do that. So you can’t play victim. Why so close to the bar? Exactly what you’re claiming they DONT do. Safety. If they get you within a mile you’ve covered less road before you’re cuffed. Which eliminates the next stretch of road you “planned” to cover jeopardizing the SAFETY of others.

LOL you are gold my man.

Re-read your post.

I understand what you’re saying but you’ve got tunnel vision. Tickets double as revenue AND safety. Do you seriously not understand that by giving tickets, they are making the streets more safe? Not from everyone but without the threat of a ticket every road would be the autobahn. Picking up on the second part of your response, there are no detectives to solve real crimes without revenue to provide the resources to solve those crimes.

I think there is a hole in this line of thinking. School zones, construction zones, residential zones - I would agree are 100% about safety.

If I'm going 70mph in a 55mph zone, on a clear day with no traffic and I get a ticket, it is about revenue. In that instance, am I really being unsafe? Really, be honest. In that case it is absolutely a racket.

Furthermore, if I'm going 70mph in a 55mph zone and I'm keeping up with the flow of traffic and get a ticket, not only is it a racket - it is 100% about revenue because in that instance I am actually being more safe then going the speed limit.

Speed limits are needed for safety - but certainly not everywhere, and certainly not all the time. The fact that we have speed limits everywhere and all the time clearly points toward what pj was saying - its a revenue generating racket enforced by bullies.

That's actually a fairly good point.

Reactions: AshG
No, knock on wood I haven't. Last one I got was for texting while stopped at a red light, it was tossed. Last moving violation was probably back in the 90s.
Texting and driving... stopped (at a red light) or not should be a DUI. I saw a young girl run a red light when the left turn arrow went green. Yep. She wasn't even hiding it. IMHO, it is more of a public health issue than guns and it ain't even close.

I think there is a hole in this line of thinking. School zones, construction zones, residential zones - I would agree are 100% about safety.

If I'm going 70mph in a 55mph zone, on a clear day with no traffic, is about revenue. In that instance, am I really being unsafe? In that case it is absolutely a racket.

Furthermore, if I'm going 70mph in a 55mph zone and I'm keeping up with the flow of traffic and get a ticket, not only is it a racket - it is 100% about revenue because in that instance I am actually being more safe then going the speed limit.

Speed limits are needed for safety - but certainly not everywhere, and certainly not all the time. The fact that we have speed limits everywhere and all the time clearly points toward what pj was saying - its a revenue generating racket enforced by bullies.
You raise a good point. I agree. 70-55 with no traffic is about revenue and not necessarily safety. What I’m trying to get across is the fact that they go hand in hand. Without the revenue there is no safety and the average civilian doesn’t understand how one feeds the other. I think they’re getting pissed but I’m only trying to explain the deeper details of why things are they way they are.

Texting and driving... stopped (at a red light) or not should be a DUI. I saw a young girl run a red light when the left turn arrow went green. Yep. She wasn't even hiding it. IMHO, it is more of a public health issue than guns and it ain't even close.

Texting and distraction is far more dangerous than just "speeding". The fully involved and focused driver going 70mph is more safe than the one going 45mph with their face buried in their phone. And it ain't close.

If I'm going 70mph in a 55mph zone, on a clear day with no traffic and I get a ticket, it is about revenue. In that instance, am I really being unsafe? Really, be honest. In that case it is absolutely a racket.

If safety was their concern they would be pulling over the people in the left lane doing 60 in a 70. They are much more dangerous than people doing 80 in a 65.

Agree with you on the rest.

That’s an interesting post . So are you saying that these speed traps you guys set up isn’t actually for the safety of the citizens, but for generated revenue so the city can survive ?🤔
Some shocking admissions in this thread no doubt.

VN Store

Back