The George Floyd Monument

Then records show a frequent flyer has been pulled over multiple times..... and then some unlucky teenager here clobbered and killed. Could have been prevented.

The law should not always be reactionary, in some cases it must also be preventative.
Punishment in the US is based on retribution. It should be based on restitution.

Reactions: AshG and hog88
It should be both, you owe a debt to society and the victim.
“Society” is not the victim only in so far that they get to pay for the retribution by housing and feeding prisoners through taxes, which in turn allows people to acquire a PhD in “criminal studies” before they are released back to “society”.

Reactions: hog88
It should be both, you owe a debt to society and the victim.

If someone assaults you they don't owe me anything.

I agree that there needs to be a punishment aspect but returning offenders to being productive citizens should be the goal.

Reactions: AshG
“Society” is not the victim only in so far that they get to pay for the retribution by housing and feeding prisoners through taxes, which in turn allows people to acquire a PhD in “criminal studies” before they are released back to “society”.
They pay for the law enforcement, court proceedings etc. It effects society as well.

Are you proposing swifter and broader capital punishment?

If someone assaults you they don't owe me anything.

I agree that there needs to be a punishment aspect but returning offenders to being productive citizens should be the goal.
Agreed about rehabilitation. But they owe a debt to society too, they disrupted the peaceful and lawful society. Caused men and women to either have to pay for or take time away from their work to deal with their offenses.

It would be but that’s where “rights” come in. Cops can’t do that. They have to let you do what you’re going to do on your own free will.
Then how about setting up their checkpoints just outside the parking lot of the bar. I would think if you can see the cops and are drunk enough to start your car, you NEED to be taken to jail.

Reactions: Wireless1 and 1vol8
Then how about setting up their checkpoints just outside the parking lot of the bar. I would think if you can see the cops and are drunk enough to start your car, you NEED to be taken to jail.
I would think The court would be flooded with entrapment cases. Of course they would all be thrown out and tried as a simple DUI because a majority of people have a false understanding of what “entrapment” really is but nevertheless an average of 5 DUI entrapment cases per bar per every Friday-Saturday night? That would get kinda ridiculous.

I would think The court would be flooded with entrapment cases. Of course they would all be thrown out and tried as a simple DUI because a majority of people have a false understanding of what “entrapment” really is but nevertheless an average of 5 DUI entrapment cases per bar per every Friday-Saturday night? That would get kinda ridiculous.
What is ridiculous about it? Drunk driving is drunk driving. There are going to be more drunk drivers leaving a bar than Dollar Tree. Perhaps there should be some culpability for the bar owner? Perhaps THEY should install breathalyzers for patrons to use on their way out. Give them the opportunity to self check, and opt for Uber if they can't drive. If they then DO drive off the property and the cops pull them over, where is the 'entrapment'? Personally I think insurance companies should be taking care of many of these kinds of issues but that is perhaps a different thread. (Wanna smoke? Fine, but we won't cover your lung transplant. Drink and drive... YOU are not insurable, but your victims are covered.)

Reactions: 1vol8
What does a murderer owe 'society'?
They require people take away from their work, home and family to feel with their legal case and trial, there are other less demonstrable ways it effects society as well

What is ridiculous about it? Drunk driving is drunk driving. There are going to be more drunk drivers leaving a bar than Dollar Tree. Perhaps there should be some culpability for the bar owner? Perhaps THEY should install breathalyzers for patrons to use on their way out. Give them the opportunity to self check, and opt for Uber if they can't drive. If they then DO drive off the property and the cops pull them over, where is the 'entrapment'? Personally I think insurance companies should be taking care of many of these kinds of issues but that is perhaps a different thread. (Wanna smoke? Fine, but we won't cover your lung transplant. Drink and drive... YOU are not insurable, but your victims are covered.)
That’s a good idea and possibly one not a lot of bar owners think about or can afford. I imagine those breathalyzers aren’t cheap and it would take a LONG time to get everyone out of a club if you only had like 5ish. The wait alone would probably not be worth knowing to most. Not to mention the germaphobes that wouldn’t want to blow into something that several others have just seconds before them. But I like where you’re going with that. At least they had the option.

Also let me explain “entrapment”. It’s not waiting outside a bar for a stumbling driver and then pulling him/her. Entrapment is when/if there’s contact made with a drunken pedestrian and he/she is encouraged by an officer to drive. For example: cop tells guy to move his car to a different spot because he’s too drunk to drive and his car would be in the way if the trash guys show up. Then arresting him for DUI.

I would be glad to watch Eric Boyd burned at the stake. I'd sell tickets.
If I were president people would die the exact same way they killed their victim/s. I personally think that would deter a lot of future murders if you knew that was the stakes. Lord be with you if you tortured someone.

If I were president people would die the exact same way they killed their victim/s. I personally think that would deter a lot of future murders if you knew that was the stakes. Lord be with you if you tortured someone.
No it wouldn't

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
No it wouldn't
Idk. If I were sick like that I kinda see the same way as a mass shooter. They don’t go shoot up places where there’s a high probability of multiple people shooting back. They go to places where guns are not allowed for a reason. They don’t want to die.
Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t imagine someone wanting to suffer the same fate as their victim unless it was quick and painless.

VN Store

Back