The Golf Thread

after reading the OP I just assumed this was for stories of greatness that could never be verified on the internet and the other was for actual golf discussion

I've only played 5 times in the last 2-3 years since I "retired" from competitive golf. But I had a +1.5 and low round of 65. I'm just now trying to get back into the game.

that's golfing the ball. I finally got back into the plus side last summer. Was almost all putting.

Love it. Have a 10.14 handicap or something like that right now. Oobgolf keeps track for me. Best round was a 76. Best nine 36.--(bogeyed the last hole or I would have been under par. Frustrating)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yea my best is 76 as well & I tripled the last hole a par 5. Broken 80 quite a few times. My last 2 rounds were mid 80's but would have easily broken 80 if I had putted halfway decent. Last round I had 6 birdie putts on front side & shot a 42. Four were inside 15 feet. Oh well I know what I neeed to work on.

I've never been golfing before but I want to, bought a cheap set of clubs awhile back and never been. Any advice anyone want to give and where are some good courses around here?

Whittle Springs. Perfect for a beginner.

Whittle Springs. Perfect for a beginner.

Seconded. It's short, greens are slow and fairly flat, there's no sand at all, not a whole lot of trouble you can get into aside from dodging errant shots hit by old codgers. That being said, the city has put some money into renovation, and it's actually a very playable course now with actual fairways and greens, as opposed to the cow pasture it was 10 years ago. Plus, it's cheap and it's not out in the middle of nowhere.

(full disclosure: I'm a 16 handicapper and I once shot 76 there - it's a par 70 - which means BPV and GAVol could probably shoot 61 from the whites, and Shortgamevol thinks he'd be good for a 57.)

I have trouble putting 18 holes together, last 2 rounds I was even making the turn, after 18 holes around 10 over, awesome

I've settled on the putter. It's the tempo and the Helen Keller green reading that does me in.

I'm missing too many 3 & 4 footers for par & not converting the 8 footers for bird. I probably just need to practice I usually end up going back to my 2ball putter anyway.

I'm missing too many 3 & 4 footers for par & not converting the 8 footers for bird. I probably just need to practice I usually end up going back to my 2ball putter anyway.

I have a tendency to get far too quick. Johnny Miller would have a field day with my putting game.

I'm more of a feel putter. When I'm good, I'm great. When I'm bad, I want to choke small animals.

Being successful at putting is between the ears, confidence, visualizing the ball going in the hole

Being successful at putting is between the ears, confidence, visualizing the ball going in the hole

To a certain degree I agree. At the same time, i played a scramble Saturday with a guy that nothing between the ears could help.

Which brings me to scrambles. Nothing jacks my game up worse. But it is the easiest way to a kitchen pass.

Pick your poison.

I agree, but some of the guys I play with are so negative when it comes to putting, what kills me is after they hit the putt they take off after it in disgust

Which brings me to scrambles. Nothing jacks my game up worse. But it is the easiest way to a kitchen pass.

Pick your poison.

Nothing worse than the convention scramble. Me and 3 guys who only play when they go on vacation.

80 at Westhaven yesterday. Played with pain under my lower right ribs the whole day. Bye bye gall bladder. I think it made me keep my rt elbow from flaring and I stroked the ball. Surgery tomorrow.

good luck with the surgery

Nothing worse than the convention scramble. Me and 3 guys who only play when they go on vacation.

And all you do all do is hope one gets in the fairway before you.

but then you get to hear "I'll put one out there and you can stomp one" for the entire round. Then trying to read a putt with a guy cutting across the ball like he's playing ping-pong.

Getting me ticked off thinking about my golf outings coming to this.

And all you do all do is hope one gets in the fairway before you.

but then you get to hear "I'll put one out there and you can stomp one" for the entire round. Then trying to read a putt with a guy cutting across the ball like he's playing ping-pong.

Getting me ticked off thinking about my golf outings coming to this.
Other universal scramble phenomena include:

*Numnuts talking about having a mulligan he can use . . . before I've even putted.
*Guy that always wants to play his ball.
*That look of terror when I suggest playing from a greenside bunker rather than from the rough 50 yards away.
*That smug look when I miss a shot and fail to bail the group out for the 20th straight time. . . even though my partners are cold shanking every third shot.
*Guys racing to putt first and "show you guys the line" and then ramming it 10 feet by the hole.
*20 handicapper plumb bobbing as if he has any clue what he's seeing.

Last edited:
Other universal scramble phenomena include:

*Numnuts talking about having a mulligan he can use . . . before I've even putted.
*Guy that always wants to play his ball.
*That look of terror when I suggest playing from a greenside bunker rather than from the rough 50 yards away.
*That smug look when I miss a shot and fail to bail the group out for the 20th straight time. . . even though my partners are cold shanking every third shot.
*Guys racing to putt first and "show you guys the line" and then ramming it 10 feet by the hole.
*20 handicapper plumb bobbing as if he has any clue what he's seeing.

That pretty much sums it all up. Throw in two of the guys treating their respective golf carts like they're on turn 4 at Bristol and the list is complete.

VN Store

Back