The Golf Thread

Other than keeping up with Driver technology, there's no reason to go away from what works. I've been hitting the same Callaway X-16 Pro irons since 2003 and I've got the exact same wedges that you do.

I agree. Until the day comes when I can't hit my blades anymore.

And a putter is something that doesnt matter at all how old it is
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Other universal scramble phenomena include:

*Numnuts talking about having a mulligan he can use . . . before I've even putted.
*Guy that always wants to play his ball.
*That look of terror when I suggest playing from a greenside bunker rather than from the rough 50 yards away.
*That smug look when I miss a shot and fail to bail the group out for the 20th straight time. . . even though my partners are cold shanking every third shot.
*Guys racing to putt first and "show you guys the line" and then ramming it 10 feet by the hole.
*20 handicapper plumb bobbing as if he has any clue what he's seeing.

They also act stupid when you tell them that you'll make more downhillers in that format.

I hadn't either til I got these Nike clubs. I would rather hit the 56 most of the time anyway. It has a 1/2" longer shaft and those zip grooves are nice.

The irons seem to keep getting stronger and stronger, and for me it left a hole in the set when I upgraded. I actually carry 4 wedges. I could ditch the 60, but I would use a 3i even less.

They also act stupid when you tell them that you'll make more downhillers in that format.
Most definitely. They all want to hit uphill putts and usually crush them through the read and say "never leave it short in a scramble."

My stuff is all long in the tooth, save grips, driver and short wedges.

Most definitely. They all want to hit uphill putts and usually crush them through the read and say "never leave it short in a scramble."

It's the watching TV syndrome. I'm amazed at how many think the commentary regarding greens running 12 applies to their muni.

It's the watching TV syndrome. I'm amazed at how many think the commentary regarding greens running 12 applies to their muni.
It's actually kind of entertaining watching guys plumb-bob and commenting about which way the grain is going.

It's actually kind of entertaining watching guys plumb-bob and commenting about which way the grain is going.

you talking about guys playing or the commentators on TV?

because nothing pisses me off more than waiting for the 4some in front of me to clear the green, since every guy in the group has to stare at their putt from every angle.

i have a buddy who doesn't even look at it. just walks up and putts.

i take a look which way i think it's going to go and then pray i can get the speed halfway right.

The irons seem to keep getting stronger and stronger, and for me it left a hole in the set when I upgraded. I actually carry 4 wedges. I could ditch the 60, but I would use a 3i even less.

i have a 2 and a 3 hybrid and don't really need both. i gave up a 5 and a 7 wood for those.

i can honestly hit 5i almost as far.

you talking about guys playing or the commentators on TV?

because nothing pisses me off more than waiting for the 4some in front of me to clear the green, since every guy in the group has to stare at their putt from every angle.

i have a buddy who doesn't even look at it. just walks up and putts.

i take a look which way i think it's going to go and then pray i can get the speed halfway right.

I also love how they always putt out those little 2 footers.

i used a wilson deep red blade forever. i recently got hooked up on an odyssey sabertooth that i love. first mallet style putter i have used and i am diggin it.

i used a wilson deep red blade forever. i recently got hooked up on an odyssey sabertooth that i love. first mallet style putter i have used and i am diggin it.

Just never have had the speed control with those things.

i have a 2 and a 3 hybrid and don't really need both. i gave up a 5 and a 7 wood for those.

I carry a 4i and a 3w and 5w. There is some gap, but honestly, at those distances, I don't think I hurt myself by not having another long club very often. The 60 does come in handy every now and then, so I carry it. I could probably get by just as well with 13, or carry an extra putter in case I throw mine into the lake.

Just never have had the speed control with those things.

i am still getting used to it. i still have the blade just in case. i got such a good deal on it, i couldn't pass it up.

it's a lot heavier than a blade, so speed control is tricky for sure.

I have a Sabertooth in my bag. It is one of the few clubs I've purchased that had an immediate, noticeable effect on my score.

Everybody, myself included, is not able to play golf well. Everybody is able to play golf fast. Slow duffers irk me.

Or when they plumb bob & it's obviously breaking 2 feet to the left or right.
Even worse . . . the guys that plumb bob, but hold the top and the bottom of the club. Plumb bobbing is almost worthless. PLumb bobbing incorrectly is really worthless.

Even worse . . . the guys that plumb bob, but hold the top and the bottom of the club. Plumb bobbing is almost worthless. PLumb bobbing incorrectly is really worthless.

Vast majority read it first then do some screwy looking plumb silliness and subconsciously reinforce their read, regardless how wrong it might have been. For my money, it only makes sense when I just can't see which way it goes.

i could do it for an hour and still miss the putt.

As could everyone else. Thats why I'm with you. Stop the TV bullshiz putt stalking and go with what you see approaching the green and what your feet tell you in one trip round the hole. The guys I play with might br the fastest group around.

Vast majority read it first then do some screwy looking plumb silliness and subconsciously reinforce their read, regardless how wrong it might have been. For my money, it only makes sense when I just can't see which way it goes.
Exactly . . . Plumb bobbing gives you a localized measure of which way the green breaks at the exact spot you are standing . . . which makes it asinine to plumb bob a putt while standing 10 feet behind the ball.

I'm talking about my blade irons.

As for putters, after using blades after a while they start lookjn funny to me and I have trouble lining them up. My two ball is the best I've used for that, but every now and then I have to switch it up for a fresh look

I have a Cleveland launcher 2i hybrid that I love. I either hit it or my driver off the box now. My 3 wood gets hit very little but the reason I got it was because it's easy to hit off the deck.

I'm talking about my blade irons.

As for putters, after using blades after a while they start lookjn funny to me and I have trouble lining them up. My two ball is the best I've used for that, but every now and then I have to switch it up for a fresh look

i gotcha. i was just talking about the putter comment. i should have highlighted that part.

VN Store

Back