The Golf Thread

Not understanding that logic. I'm a Donald Ross fan as far as greens go. You should always have a chance on the green. I'm not a fan of kidney shaped greens. Or uphill par 3s. Both are stupid.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Just saying that making all bunkers damning penalties is stupid. Penalizes good bunker players and as GAVol pointed out is impossible to make all consistent.

Bunkers are technically a "hazard" so I get where bamacheats is coming from on how it should punish the players.

Bunkers are technically a "hazard" so I get where bamacheats is coming from on how it should punish the players.

Not saying you should not be punished. The thought that a bunker puts you effectively in your pocket for the rest of the hole is ridiculous though.

Not saying you should not be punished. The thought that a bunker puts you effectively in your pocket for the rest of the hole is ridiculous though.

You should be punished. They are classified as hazards. A 1 shot penalty is not that big a deal when you have the option of avoiding them. PGA players actually aim for them in certain situations. Take out the sand, leave the hole, let the grass grow, then its a hazard.

this. Outside of being buried in a bunker, any shot is "holeable". It might take absolute perfection to do it, but that's what separates those great bunker players that toil for hours in practice bunkers hitting every shot imaginable. Bunkers shouldn't cost you 3 shots just because as someone mentioned, it is considered a hazard.

this. Outside of being buried in a bunker, any shot is "holeable". It might take absolute perfection to do it, but that's what separates those great bunker players that toil for hours in practice bunkers hitting every shot imaginable. Bunkers shouldn't cost you 3 shots just because as someone mentioned, it is considered a hazard.

3 shots? Where did that come from? OB is only 2.
I don't toil for hours practicing bunker shots and I have no problem getting it within 10 ft from a greenside bunker. Why are the best in the world aiming for bunkers when they are supposed to be hazards?

I don't toil for hours practicing bunker shots and I have no problem getting it within 10 ft from a greenside bunker. Why are the best in the world aiming for bunkers when they are supposed to be hazards?

This.

it was just a number. Putting one in a bunker, chipping out but missing the green or leaving it a long way out and 2 putting. Either way, they aim for a miss to wind up in the bunker most of the time, not directly for the bunker, it's quite different.

No one aims at a bunker. They might aim to a side that has a bunker. But trying to put one in a bunker should never happen.

it was just a number. Putting one in a bunker, chipping out but missing the green or leaving it a long way out and 2 putting. Either way, they aim for a miss to wind up in the bunker most of the time, not directly for the bunker, it's quite different.

But why should they be aiming if they miss for the bunker? Why not the rough?

Why don't designers just put open flamed fire pits strategically throughout courses? That'll cause some penalties.

No one aims at a bunker. They might aim to a side that has a bunker. But trying to put one in a bunker should never happen.

Yes, they do aim at bunkers. It's one of Jack's biggest issues with the PGA as well. He's been campaigning for the PGA to rake the bunkers for the last few years to put the ridges back like they used to be before 1990.

If player misses the green and lands in the rough the announcers say ohhh that is going to be a difficult shot, but more often than not if a player lands in bunker and the ball is not buried they say well that shouldn't be too bad.

Yes, they do aim at bunkers. It's one of Jack's biggest issues with the PGA as well. He's been campaigning for the PGA to rake the bunkers for the last few years to put the ridges back like they used to be before 1990.

So let me get this straight... You have a greenside bunker. You have golfers aiming at that rather than the green? No wonder we can't get a consistent winner on Tour.

Your sounding dumb now.

no, you are. Jack's argument is they are aiming for misses to go to bunkers. Even in links style play players still aim for misses in the bunkers. At worst in a bunker you are playing off the lip. Anything, and I do mean anything can happen in the green side rough, especially with so many courses adopting the turtleback greens where a ball can roll pretty much anywhere on a missed shot.

Can we all agree that being in a bunker especially green side is usually better than being in the rough? And it should not be that way.

VN Store

Back