The Golf Thread

No. Therefore, when a psychologist makes a statement about job performance in their profession, I take them at their word instead of ignorantly arguing the opposite.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Is Steve Williams a psychologist? According to you yes.

I don't know for sure. A lot of tour caddies have taken sport psychology classes.

Are serious or are you joking. Not the fact they may have taken classes but the fact you're actually saying it. Tiger doesn't need any psychologist on his bag regardless. After hearing Steve Williams cry for a week & say the things he did yesterday it may be him that needs a little mental help.

I've caddied a couple of times on the Nationwide Tour. There's definitely more to it than cleaning clubs, but really it all depends on the player.
I've done it as well and my guy played well. Must have been the effusive positivity that I tend to throw out.

Are serious or are you joking. Not the fact they may have taken classes but the fact you're actually saying it. Tiger doesn't need any psychologist on his bag regardless. After hearing Steve Williams cry for a week & say the things he did yesterday it may be him that needs a little mental help.

That's correct. Because Tiger's problem is all physical.

i'm kinda kicking myself now for not majoring in Psychology. nobody showed me the list of future job opportunities that included PGA tour caddie.

PL3 Insight--Masters 2011 Caddy Conversations

Jiminez caddy said he doesn't speak to him and only has a caddy because he basically has to. Els caddy said that Els smiles at the crowd, and cusses him in native tongue the entire round. His main purpose is for Els to vent.

PL3 Insight--Masters 2011 Caddy Conversations

Jiminez caddy said he doesn't speak to him and only has a caddy because he basically has to. Els caddy said that Els smiles at the crowd, and cusses him in native tongue the entire round. His main purpose is for Els to vent.

Wouldn't that be in English? I mean with like 11 official languages what would be the native tongue? I say English because I believe it's the most common.

Last edited:
I just heard Stevie's quote for the first time and it sounds different than it reads in print. I didn't find it that objectionable, and I am a dyed-in-the-wool Tiger fan.

About whether caddies matter: I caddied at the club level as well. It is hard work and it takes time and skill to become a good caddy. Club players have caddies they prefer and "good" caddies get more loops than average or poor caddies.

That being said, the better the player, the less the caddy matters. The best player I caddied for asked that I kept up, pulled the pin, and raked the trap. It was that simple. It's the 30-handicappers that would say, "Should I hit a soft 6-iron, or a full 7 on this hole?" after being 25-over par with two to play.

I've caddied a couple of times on the Nationwide Tour. There's definitely more to it than cleaning clubs, but really it all depends on the player.

I agree with this. Have caddied quite a bit in some amateur and mini-tour events. Some players do it all on their own, others like the second opinion (especially on the greens). I think a good caddy can save a few shots a round, and a bad caddy can cost quite a few.

I agree with this. Have caddied quite a bit in some amateur and mini-tour events. Some players do it all on their own, others like the second opinion (especially on the greens). I think a good caddy can save a few shots a round, and a bad caddy can cost quite a few.

This is somewhat fair, but it's just ludicrous for people to assume Tiger needs Stevie. I have no sympathy for him...

I just heard Stevie's quote for the first time and it sounds different than it reads in print. I didn't find it that objectionable, and I am a dyed-in-the-wool Tiger fan.

About whether caddies matter: I caddied at the club level as well. It is hard work and it takes time and skill to become a good caddy. Club players have caddies they prefer and "good" caddies get more loops than average or poor caddies.

That being said, the better the player, the less the caddy matters. The best player I caddied for asked that I kept up, pulled the pin, and raked the trap. It was that simple. It's the 30-handicappers that would say, "Should I hit a soft 6-iron, or a full 7 on this hole?" after being 25-over par with two to play.

If you actually watch the greenside interview, it's nowhere near as ruthless as the media is making it out to be. He was approached by some reporters and asked a handful of questions and just answered them. You can tell he wasn't seeking the reporters, they came to him. It's sad that the media built Stevie Williams up as the victim and the good guy in all of this and is now wanting to do nothing more than tear him down. Unbelievable that I got a journalism degree thinking I wanted to be one of those very reporters.

If you actually watch the greenside interview, it's nowhere near as ruthless as the media is making it out to be. He was approached by some reporters and asked a handful of questions and just answered them. You can tell he wasn't seeking the reporters, they came to him. It's sad that the media built Stevie Williams up as the victim and the good guy in all of this and is now wanting to do nothing more than tear him down. Unbelievable that I got a journalism degree thinking I wanted to be one of those very reporters.

i kinda think there must be two interviews....the one I've seen more often, Stevie claims it's his most satisfying win

but all the reports talk about him saying it's his best win

i kinda think there must be two interviews....the one I've seen more often, Stevie claims it's his most satisfying win

but all the reports talk about him saying it's his best win

he had the greenside interview, then evidently they asked him some more questions inside the clubhouse. The media has definitely warped the perception of the interviews imo. He shouldn't have said anything regardless, but he wasn't just straight up attacking Tiger, he was just answering questions honestly.

VN Store

Back