The Golf Thread

Last I saw the cheapest Penta's here were $ 40.99, so I'd say it was a great deal, I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in it and the ProV's, but I still like the ProV better.

I've played B330's for the last 3 years. Just switched to the Srixon Z-Star IV. Loving it!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If you're playing either prov1 I don't think swing speed is an issue.

You may be right now. When they first came out, there was a general formula in regards to swing speed and spin rate (based on a launch monitor) for which ball you should play

If you're playing either prov1 I don't think swing speed is an issue.
I'd say it's an issue to the extent that swing speed = spin. If you tend to spin it excessively or hit it very high, you need to play the X. Honestly though, I don't think there are many people with handicaps greater than about 5 that could tell you the difference between the balls in a blind test.

1 over after 13 today at hermitage pres reserve and could have been 2 under very easily. My rabbit ears killed me when guy in other twosome ripped his glove off at the top of my swing=ob=triple. I fell apart and ended up +8 on last 5 holes. What a mental midget I displayed.

1 over after 13 today at hermitage pres reserve and could have been 2 under very easily. My rabbit ears killed me when guy in other twosome ripped his glove off at the top of my swing=ob=triple. I fell apart and ended up +8 on last 5 holes. What a mental midget I displayed.

When i read this it was like i typed it, i tend to fold down tha stretch on occasion too

Spent the day at Knoxville Open yesterday with tix for the Copper Cellar hospitality area. Glorious is all I have to say. What a day.

I actually hit the ball higher with the x

The course I played Thursday was 7300 yards and sopping wet. Spinning them back in the fairways

did you play it from 7300

yes. hit a lot of long irons.

the guy i played with was a short hitter, had to use his 3 wood to a number of holes, and was sticking it. never seen someone hit their woods like that.

Last edited:
Any course recommendations for the Sarasota area?

Booking a tee-time at University Park Country Club.

Last edited:
Anybody watching us amateur? I know the caddy for cantlay.
I know the guy - Russell Henley - that Cantlay beat in the rd of 32. The match was crazy. Henley birdied 16 to go dormie and then Cantlay birdied the last 2 to halve the match. Then they both made bombs for eagle on the 1st playoff hole before Cantlay finally won on the 21st. We will be hearing from both guys on tour in the near future.

nice. I played against Kelly in high school. I'm pretty surprised at how good he has become.

Getting a scholarship will do that. Lots of practice.

When I played in High school we were number one in state most of year and fell apart at end. 5 of starting 6 played D-1.

I wasn't one who played college golf, but our team was good. I suck now, but a few kids I would smoke in high school are way better than me now cuz they played at junior colleges and then got on bigger teams. I drank in college.

Getting a scholarship will do that. Lots of practice.

When I played in High school we were number one in state most of year and fell apart at end. 5 of starting 6 played D-1.

I wasn't one who played college golf, but our team was good. I suck now, but a few kids I would smoke in high school are way better than me now cuz they played at junior colleges and then got on bigger teams. I drank in college.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. If I had gone to JuCo I'd be a beast. In high school we went to state 2/4 years which was extremely disappointing considering we produced 4 D1, 5 D2 and 1 D3. Dallas has so much young golf talent though, it was a battle every year.

it's so ridiculously difficult to make it. even these guys, they might be tearing it up as amateurs, but turn pro, make pennies, don't last and flame out.

it's so ridiculously difficult to make it. even these guys, they might be tearing it up as amateurs, but turn pro, make pennies, don't last and flame out.

True, but some of these guys have already played with the big guys and done well. Cantlay has been on a couple of leaderboards and Henley has a Nationwide win already.

bag completely refurbished, including the bag, save the putter I had custom fit a year and a half ago. Bag now consists of:

Driver- 910 D3 Titleist 9.5* (I'm mashing this thing)

Hybrid- 17* 910H Titleist

Irons- Ping I15 3-PW with ZZ65 shafts (oddly enough, I still fit for perfectly standard black dots though)

Wedges- 52*,56* and 60* Cleveland CG15s. The newbies are a lot more rounded than any Cleveland I've had before.

Putter- Ping Anser with no insert. Prefer the feel of not having any insert

Bag- Titleist Premium Stand Bag (Blue)- This thing has more pockets than anyone is ever going to need for a round of golf. I could pack a week's worth of clothes and still have room for everything I need for a round of to include my raingear.

I've kept the entire old bag and might still throw the Steelhead #3Plus wood in from time to time and either take out a wedge or likely the 6 iron.

I'm on leave til the 12th (in which I have corrective eye surgery) so my plans for the next week and a half are to play as much golf as possible.

VN Store

Back