The Grill and BBQ thread

We grill and smoke on these two. Super efficient and all we've needed. Smoked full salmon fillet on the kettle sunday. Served over pasta and spinach. The Barrel House can smoke for 8 hours on one load of coal, and keep constant temp. totally a walkaway smoker with a well seasoned interior. Most items I don't even temp. I just set a timer and go away. Sadly, they somehow had legal issue with Pit Barrel and ended up being absorbed into Pit Barrel a few years ago. Their design of the little things was far superior to Pit Barrel, who has not really incorporated those ideas into their smokers.

1723728292124.png

1723728330932.png

Seems the makers of PBC has left and created a new barrel smoker. Oddly, this model has most all the features of the Barrel House brand that they sued, took over, and never put put in their PBC models. Called Badger Barrel, and uses most accesories from PBC. Regualr $250.00. Can get right now for $180. Sells thru amazon. Atleast I now have a bonified replacement option. Mine is a 14". This one is a 16.5". I would never own a barrel smoker that didn'nt have a detachable mid section. Don't have to open lid or disassemble meat to add coal. Just lift it off intact, add coal, and set it back on. If you even have to do that at all. Might even consider adding this to the other hanger at that price. No apps or electricity needed.
1723729586239.png

Tri-tip is my favorite cut of meat and in my opinion is very hard to beat because 1) good $/lb ratio 2) tastes great 3) very quick to get to temp (~90 minutes until done) 4) multiple meals off one.

Made a wagyu one the other evening and I still have some left over. It was phenomenal.

IMG_2484.jpeg

I just can’t seem to master the pork tenderloin. But I haven’t tried in a long time.
It's a hot and fast cook. Dry rub(nothing sweet or it'll burn), cook over indirect heat to 125/130, then seer. I don't even monitor my grill temp with them. I just use a full chimney of charcoal setup for a reverse seer. I like to throw a chunk of wood in the coals. It won't "smoke" it. But it'll add a pop of flavor.

You can paint with sauce during the seer if you are using one, like bbq or honey balsamic. With the chimi just seer, move to a cutting board, slice and spread the chimi over the top and serve. If I want to show off I'll do 3 of them with 3 different flavor profiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhangliao04

VN Store

Back