The Impeachment Thread

What a douche.

Roberts reportedly blocked Rand Paul's questions mentioning alleged whistleblower's name

Catherine Garcia

January 29, 2020, 11:59 PM EST

Chief Justice John Roberts on Wednesday thwarted several attempts by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to submit a question naming the alleged whistleblower whose complaint about President Trump's interactions with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky spurred the impeachment inquiry, three people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post.

Senators were given the opportunity to submit questions to the House impeachment managers and Trump's legal team, with Roberts screening the questions before reading them out loud. Paul drafted a query that included the alleged whistleblower's name, but Roberts declined to read it, two officials told the Post. Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) told reporters there are Republicans "who have an interest in questions related to the whistleblower. But I suspect that won't happen. I don't think that happens. And I guess I would hope it doesn't."

For months, Paul — who is one of the loudest voices during discussions about Americans' privacy rights — has been trying to get people to publicly say the name of the whistleblower. He hinted on Wednesday that he's not giving up, telling reporters, "it may happen tomorrow."

Republicans should know who the whistleblower is. If they don't they should be told. But can they not simply refer to him/her as the whistleblower when asking questions? They don't have to share the knowledge with the public, but it seems to me the identity of the whistleblower is a key part of all of this. The Senate should know who it is so they can consider credibility on the origins of this.

Dershowitz:

"If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment."

Dershowitz's intellectual dishonesty is astounding. Harvard should disown the f-tard.

To a normal person, a public official making the performance of his or her public duties contingent upon receiving some personal gain looks like solicitation of a bribe. ("I'll put out that fire, ma'am, if you give me title to that Corvette in the driveway.") But not Professor Dershowitz.

For him, the fact that Trump was seeking help for his re-election was not incriminating; it is exculpatory. "Every public official that I know believes that his election is in the public interest," Dershowitz said. "And mostly you're right. Your election is in the public interest. And if a president did something that he believes will help him get elected, in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment."

Think about this. By Dershowitz's reasoning, the next Democratic President can direct THE ENTIRE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to work for his re-election campaign. Everything in the President's purview could be geared towards the sole purpose of him ensuring he gets a second term. This presumes that term limits would not be abolished, naturally.

Pretty sure the same thoughts were expressed by a king prior to the French Revolution. The VERY LEAST Trump could do is offer us cake!

d20483ad64edc6f94daf6932b8bc4d1e (1).jpg

Last edited:
Republicans should know who the whistleblower is. If they don't they should be told. But can they not simply refer to him/her as the whistleblower when asking questions? They don't have to share the knowledge with the public, but it seems to me the identity of the whistleblower is a key part of all of this. The Senate should know who it is so they can consider credibility on the origins of this.

Right. They need to know who had the gall to pull the fire alarm in the burning building. Probably a witch.

Outing this person would achieve what, exactly?

Right. They need to know who had the gall to pull the fire alarm in the burning building. Probably a witch.

Outing this person would achieve what, exactly?
A fair proceeding. Like I said, the public doesn't need to know, but those deciding should know. I'm fairly certain the Dems do know, so why shouldn't the Republicans know as well?

Reactions: AM64 and dezul
Arizona, like Colorado, is about to have two democratic senators.
She makes a fair point. The House did a **** job on their end, and now they want the Senate to bail them out. The House rushed through, then Nancy tried to negotiate the rules the Senate would use. You have to admit that's a bunch of BS.

A fair proceeding. Like I said, the public doesn't need to know, but those deciding should know. I'm fairly certain the Dems do know, so why shouldn't the Republicans know as well?

Yet, the Chief Justice of SCOTUS rejected outing the WB. What does that tell you?

Also, let's presume the person is a "Never Trumper". So what? Does this change the material facts gathered AFTER the WB pulled the alarm?

Nope.

Reactions: tvolsfan and Mick
Yet, the Chief Justice of SCOTUS rejected outing the WB. What does that tell you?

Also, let's presume the person is a "Never Trumper". So what? Does this change the material facts gathered AFTER the WB pulled the alarm?

Nope.
Rejected publicly outing, which I've agreed is not necessary.

And if the person is a "Never Trumper", would that not lead credence to this being political?

I think it matters.

Reactions: AM64

Nope.

It does when the WB was shown biased prior to the Ukraine phone call.

"Republicans have sought more information on the whistleblower ever since the intelligence community's internal watchdog found several indicators that the person might have a political bias. Fox News has previously reported the whistleblower is a registered Democrat and had a prior work history with a senior Democrat running for president."

"The whistleblower's attorney, Mark Zaid, openly admitted back in 2017 that a "coup" had started against the president from within the administration, and that CNN's coverage would play a "key role" in the effort."

"He also openly solicited intelligence community members to help impeach and "get rid" of Trump, years before Trump's call with Urkaine's leader that triggered the current impeachment proceedings."

"Additionally, Zaid acknowledged that the whistleblower had contact with a prominent Democratic presidential contender, amid reporters that he had served closely with Joe Biden when he was vice president. Trump's alleged pressure on Ukraine to investigate Biden is at the center of the current probe."

Justice Roberts blocks Sen. Paul from naming whistleblower, source says -- and Paul may force the issue

And if the person is a "Never Trumper", would that not lead credence to this being political?

I think it matters.

Let's assume the worst: WB is a Never Trumper. Hates him. So. What? How does this change the material facts uncovered after he blew the whistle?

This is a rhetorical question, guys. The answer is it doesn't, of course. If you disagree, please expound. Would love to read that line of reasoning.

Reactions: tvolsfan

Nope.
Everyone knows it's about the smear of the whistle blower and nothing more. Except for the hardened trump supporters like Weezer. The GOP knowes who he/she is and are just trying to publically identify him/her.

Let's assume the worst: WB is a Never Trumper. Hates him. So. What? How does this change the material facts uncovered after he blew the whistle?

This is a rhetorical question, guys. The answer is it doesn't, of course. If you disagree, please expound. Would love to read that line of reasoning.
So if his motive for coming forward was to help Biden win the election, that doesn't matter?

And FTR, while I think what Trump did is unethical, I don't think it rises to removal from office. This whole thing has been a political hit job, something the impeachment process was never meant to be.

The way to get him out of office is to vote him out.

Reactions: dillyo51

I think it matters.
If your trying to disqualify everyone that has an unfavorable opinion of Trump, you need to disqualify everyone.

So if his motive for coming forward was to help Biden win the election, that doesn't matter?

And FTR, while I think what Trump did is unethical, I don't think it rises to removal from office. This whole thing has been a political hit job, something the impeachment process was never meant to be.

The way to get him out of office is to vote him out.

So the President is breaking the law for the sole purpose of rigging the election. And your solution to "fix" this is to... hold a rigged election.

*sigh*

Again. Please explain how this would change material facts uncovered after the WB reported it.

Reactions: Mick
Everyone knows it's about the smear of the whistle blower and nothing more. Except for the hardened trump supporters like Weezer. The GOP knowes who he/she is and are just trying to publically identify him/her.
lmao Still spouting your nonsense. Gotta keep up with those Dem talking points.

If your trying to disqualify everyone that has an unfavorable opinion of Trump, you need to disqualify everyone.
I don't have a favorable opinion of Trump, but I do believe the process should be handled in a fair and judicial way, something the Dems oppose in this case.

I don't have a favorable opinion of Trump, but I do believe the process should be handled in a fair and judicial way, something the Dems oppose in this case.
As pointed out it's not a judicial process and that is why Trump is hiding behind the Senate GOP trying to publically out the whistleblower and rejecting fact and firsthand witnesses and documents. But yes if I was a partisan bleating sheep I would be calling for the identity of the whistleblower too..

VN Store

Back