The Initial '08-'09 Hoops Trap 10.

Do you think this team will be more tournament ready. I would be disappointed to see another meltdown in the conference tournament.

Do you think this team will be more tournament ready. I would be disappointed to see another meltdown in the conference tournament.
I trhink Tennessee will be more tournament ready than any team in school history.

So they make the Final Four last year...return everyone and bring in 3 McD's All American's but they're an Elite 8 team at best...

You can at least understand the skepticism can't you?

UNC will the odds-on favorite to win it all b/c of who they have coming back. But w/o some better defensive play, I think that...when all is said and done...someone will get the better of them in the regional final. Just my opinion.

I like your Pitt pick hat, I loved the team last year, even picked them all the way in all but one of my brackets, the depth just wasn't there. I think I was just a year early.

Who is your early prediction for POY? I think Blair will be good enough to get it, but god knows how much love TH will get.

Nice run-down. The glaring hole in the UT offense, to me, is the outside shooter. Who will fill that role?

We'll be good inside. Tyler and Brian look great. Our new recruits' forte seems to be getting to the rim. But, if teams crash down, I'm just not sure who will be ready to step up (or pull up) and knock down big buckets.

So hat, are you more optimistic about how far this team can go than last year's? And will Bruce win a game in the sweet sixteen?

Here's a question. Has BP learned enough on the fly and in the SEC war to finally break down the sweet sixteen barrier? By the way, nice assesment of the upcoming basketball season. What about the football season. Can we get a red zone stopper?

Realizing that academics, defections, and summer shenanigans will inevitably impact some of these teams, here is the first Halfcourt Trap Top 10 for the '08-'09 season:

1. Pitt. Jamie Dixon's most talented squad will be tough enough to survive the meat grinder in the Big East and bring the trophy to the Steel City.
2. North Carolina. By far the most talented team in the country. However, their playing with both hands firmly placed around their throats against Georgetown and Kansas in the last two NCAA tourneys tells me there is a lack of testicular fortitiude on that squad.
3. Louisville. Had they played UNC in any of the other 49 states in the regional final, they would have been in the Final Four last season. Pitino will not have to worry about playing on someone else's court on the regionals this year.
4. Arizona State. From the NIT to the Final Four. Herb Sendek will lead Pendergraph and Harden to college basketball's promised land.
5. UCONN. Jim Calhoun doesn't stay out of the spotlight for long. The Huskies will be deep and talented. That recipe has won them two National Championships.
6. Michigan State. Tom Izzo is due for another deep tourney run. He now has the horses to do so.
7. Villanova. Guards win in college basketball. Nobody has a more explosive backcourt at their disposal than Jay Wright.
8. UCLA. Despite their early defections to the NBA, the Bruins will be just fine. Ben Howland will never allow them to fall far.
9. Memphis. Another program that will weather their personnel losses just fine. Cal has enough talent at his disposal to make a run at a fourth straight Elite 8.
10. Tennessee. The Vols will put the most physically talented team in program history on the floor. Experience and point guard play are the only question marks that keep them out of the top 5.
Excellent job as usual Hat. I recently found myself wondering how this year's basketball (off) season was shaping up. I am excited about UT's physicality(sp). As usual, another 5 star info post by VN's top GURU.:salute:

are Cam and Bobby as good as they seem? Obviously they have blown up the RTL but I dont put much stock in that. Will they be serviceable to fill the Lofton/Jajuan/Howell roles?

1. Pitt. Jamie Dixon's most talented squad will be tough enough to survive the meat grinder in the Big East and bring the trophy to the Steel City.agree they will be tough to handle this year, but i don't consider them the best team in the country by any means.

2. North Carolina. By far the most talented team in the country. However, their playing with both hands firmly placed around their throats against Georgetown and Kansas in the last two NCAA tourneys tells me there is a lack of testicular fortitiude on that squad.best team on paper...will that translate into a championship?

3. Louisville. Had they played UNC in any of the other 49 states in the regional final, they would have been in the Final Four last season. Pitino will not have to worry about playing on someone else's court on the regionals this year.agree, they should be a solid contender this year based on their returning talent.

4. Arizona State. From the NIT to the Final Four. Herb Sendek will lead Pendergraph and Harden to college basketball's promised land.hell no...they are mediocre at best.

5. UCONN. Jim Calhoun doesn't stay out of the spotlight for long. The Huskies will be deep and talented. That recipe has won them two National Championships. they're going to make a run in the big east, but nothing special come NCAA time.

6. Michigan State. Tom Izzo is due for another deep tourney run. He now has the horses to do so.they will be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 10 behind Ohio State, Wisconsin/Purdue

7. Villanova. Guards win in college basketball. Nobody has a more explosive backcourt at their disposal than Jay Wright.they have a tradition of great guards, but will struggle with teams that don't play up-and-down

8. UCLA. Despite their early defections to the NBA, the Bruins will be just fine. Ben Howland will never allow them to fall far.they're going to be a good team every year with the talent pool that is California. I don't foresee them being in the final four however.

9. Memphis. Another program that will weather their personnel losses just fine. Cal has enough talent at his disposal to make a run at a fourth straight Elite 8.Memphis is going to be talented, but not NEARLY as talented as this past season. They will make the tournament, but will fizzle quite easily once their schedule catches up with them.

10. Tennessee. The Vols will put the most physically talented team in program history on the floor. Experience and point guard play are the only question marks that keep them out of the top 5.If Maze, Hopson, and Smith play their cards right, TN could make it beyond the Sweet 16 this season. Getting to the final 4 is a lot more difficult than being a good team on paper.

I trhink Tennessee will be more tournament ready than any team in school history.

Do you anticipate to see Brian Williams start at any point during the season? Or would that be only if he's playing great and either Tatum/Prince would be struggling forcing Tyler to play the 3?

Earl Clark, Tyler Smith, or Gerald Henderson.

Give me a freakin break Hat....the reigning POY isn't even on this list....keep hatin' on Hansbrough....he's still goin to be the best COLLEGE player in the country

Give me a freakin break Hat....the reigning POY isn't even on this list....keep hatin' on Hansbrough....he's still goin to be the best COLLEGE player in the country

at what point has TH ever been the best college player in the country?

4. Arizona State. From the NIT to the Final Four. Herb Sendek will lead Pendergraph and Harden to college basketball's promised land.hell no...they are mediocre at best.

5. UCONN. Jim Calhoun doesn't stay out of the spotlight for long. The Huskies will be deep and talented. That recipe has won them two National Championships. they're going to make a run in the big east, but nothing special come NCAA time.

6. Michigan State. Tom Izzo is due for another deep tourney run. He now has the horses to do so.they will be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 10 behind Ohio State, Wisconsin/Purdue

Wrong on all counts, especially Arizona St. and Michigan St. All three of these teams are easily sweet 16 material, probably Elite Eight material, and it wouldn't surprise me to see any of them in Detroit.

Michael Beasley was the best player in the country last year, and it really wasn't even that close. I could probably average 10 and 5 if I got the calls Hansborough does, and I am 6'1 and slower than hell

He wasn't one of the 10 best college players in the country last year. Unlike ESPN, I don't care that he's the Next Great White Hope. He's a flopping phony who will disappear when it matters for the fourth straight year. Then, he can go become Joe Wolf, V2"

Tyler Hansborough is soooo overrated. He is fringe top 10 IMO

VN Store

Back