The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Well, those are all good points. But he has been in the program for 5 years now. He knows exactly what the system is and what Barnes wants. He can be a coach on the floor. I see him putting in 20-25 minutes per game at both the 4 and 5 positions, as needed. And I see him starting until someone knocks him out of starting.

His cast will be off by end of August (barring terrible news), and he'll have september and october to get in basketball shape, practice with the team, and then the early non-conference games. Unless the wrist injury is catastrophic, I don't see a problem.

IMO TN’s best 5 will be if/when JJJ is at the 4 with BHH or Aido at the 5. With JJJ at the 4 Mashack, Powell, and Diboundje will get more playing time on the wings. Nkamhoua should get more minutes at the post if he puts in the work. I don’t like TN’s chances of being elite with Fulkerson being the primary option inside. I’d much rather see him come off of the bench fresh and run opponents off the court trying to match his pace. Fulk had better be adding bulk because his getting tossed around inside last year was a major issue. Nkamhoua has better size.

PG Chandler
SG Vescovi/Powell
SF Mashack
PF JJJ
C BHH

I don’t understand why Penny is even a “serious” candidate. IMO, he’s been an utter failure at Memphis considering his recruiting. Not one single tournament appearance. This feels like a really dumb move for the Magic if they go this direction. Surely they can do better….
I'm an NBA fan and NBA coaching hires constantly confound me

IMO TN’s best 5 will be if/when JJJ is at the 4 with BHH or Aido at the 5. With JJJ at the 4 Mashack, Powell, and Diboundje will get more playing time on the wings. Nkamhoua should get more minutes at the post if he puts in the work. I don’t like TN’s chances of being elite with Fulkerson being the primary option inside. I’d much rather see him come off of the bench fresh and run opponents off the court trying to match his pace. Fulk had better be adding bulk because his getting tossed around inside last year was a major issue. Nkamhoua has better size.

PG Chandler
SG Vescovi/Powell
SF Mashack
PF JJJ
C BHH
I agree with a lot of this, I have been dreaming of a Chandler, Scovi, Powell, JJJ, BHH lineup

I feel like this is a reactionary move by the Magic, because there has been intense pressure lately about the lack of POC head coaches in the NBA. Even so, there has to be a better option than Penny. He just has not accomplished anything of merit, IMO. I’d actually prefer he stay at Memphis because of how lackluster he is.

I feel like this is a reactionary move by the Magic, because there has been intense pressure lately about the lack of POC head coaches in the NBA. Even so, there has to be a better option than Penny. He just has not accomplished anything of merit, IMO. I’d actually prefer he stay at Memphis because of how lackluster he is.

True. UT fans are probably more sad to see him go than Tiger fans 😄

Reactions: walkenvol

PG Chandler
SG Vescovi/Powell
SF Mashack
PF JJJ
C BHH
IMO
PG Chandler- 30 + minutes a game
SG Powell - 25 minutes a games
SF JJJ 30 a game
4 -5 with Fulky BHH and Aidoo getting most minutes with Nkamhoua getting a few.
Vescovi gets back up minutes at the 1 and 2.
Bailey getting some backup minutes at SF. Mashack getting a few minutes a game at the 2 or 3. I don’t think Diboundje sees the floor this year.

I don’t understand why Penny is even a “serious” candidate. IMO, he’s been an utter failure at Memphis considering his recruiting. Not one single tournament appearance. This feels like a really dumb move for the Magic if they go this direction. Surely they can do better….

To be fair, this can be broken down. Not sure he would be a great coach in the NBA. However, he has made that program better than he found it. Year one wasn’t going to make the NCAAT regardless, and the numbers were better than Tubby’s teams. Year two was just the administration supporting his decision on Wiseman, and Wiseman quit on the team. Then Covid hit. Year three was a bit of a disappointment, but they were in the conversation. He did exactly why they hired him- created excitement and sold more tickets.

IMO
PG Chandler- 30 + minutes a game
SG Powell - 25 minutes a games
SF JJJ 30 a game
4 -5 with Fulky BHH and Aidoo getting most minutes with Nkamhoua getting a few.
Vescovi gets back up minutes at the 1 and 2.
Bailey getting some backup minutes at SF. Mashack getting a few minutes a game at the 2 or 3. I don’t think Diboundje sees the floor this year.

I hope that Mashack earns significant minutes early and consistently. I’d hate to see him be another 4 star that underachieves. The quicker that he becomes a regular the better.

I hope that Mashack earns significant minutes early and consistently. I’d hate to see him be another 4 star that underachieves. The quicker that he becomes a regular the better.
I’m going to be very surprised if Mashack doesn’t become a solid player for us barring injury

Based on an admittedly small sample size, it seems like Mashack is a little raw especially on offense. Barnes seems to prefer upper class-men which is why I think Bailey sees more time especially early. I think Mashack will be a great player for us even if he doesn’t get a lot of minutes this year.

Based on an admittedly small sample size, it seems like Mashack is a little raw especially on offense. Barnes seems to prefer upper class-men which is why I think Bailey sees more time especially early. I think Mashack will be a great player for us even if he doesn’t get a lot of minutes this year.

Then I hope that Bailey really improves his game this off season. Seems like he shot us out of several games last season. He won a couple as well, but I want a high volume shooter to be more consistent.

PG Chandler
SG Vescovi/Powell
SF Mashack
PF JJJ
C BHH

I think what you are describing would be CRB's version of what last year he called his "small team." My posts are about what I think CRB will put on the floor as starters the first game of the year. I don't know enough about basketball to know what he will think are his best 5 to put on the floor as normal starters to win games. But I've observed him and I'm guessing based on what I've observed about him: 1) he values defense above all else, 2) he values veterans over freshmen, especially early in the year, before freshmen have had a chance to get their feet under them. He values experienced players for their superior knowledge of his offensive and defensive schemes. Recall that last year he didn't start his 2 five star guards - one of whom was even then projected as a lottery pick - until a lot of games had passed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first game he started: 1) Vescovi, 2) Bailey, 3) JJJ, 4) Fulky or Nkam, 5) Uros or Fulky. Not predicting that, but I wouldn't be surprised based on what we've seen from CRB so far.

I think what you are describing would be CRB's version of what last year he called his "small team." My posts are about what I think CRB will put on the floor as starters the first game of the year. I don't know enough about basketball to know what he will think are his best 5 to put on the floor as normal starters to win games. But I've observed him and I'm guessing based on what I've observed about him: 1) he values defense above all else, 2) he values veterans over freshmen, especially early in the year, before freshmen have had a chance to get their feet under them. He values experienced players for their superior knowledge of his offensive and defensive schemes. Recall that last year he didn't start his 2 five star guards - one of whom was even then projected as a lottery pick - until a lot of games had passed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first game he started: 1) Vescovi, 2) Bailey, 3) JJJ, 4) Fulky or Nkam, 5) Uros or Fulky. Not predicting that, but I wouldn't be surprised based on what we've seen from CRB so far.

I don’t think that CRB necessarily prefers veterans over new comers. I think that he plays those that are best at doing what is expected of them and in most cases those would be the most experienced players.

It isn’t a valid criticism that Barnes wasn’t playing the 2x 5-stars lots more minutes earlier last season. The pandemic created a situation were their pre-season preparation time was massively reduced. In a normal year Keon and Springer would have played more minutes earlier. They might have even been starting the first game had they benefited from practicing with the team during the summer of 2020.

It isn’t a valid criticism that Barnes wasn’t playing the 2x 5-stars lots more minutes earlier last season. The pandemic created a situation were their pre-season preparation time was massively reduced. In a normal year Keon and Springer would have played more minutes earlier. They might have even been starting the first game had they benefited from practicing with the team during the summer of 2020.

That's a good point.

I don’t think that CRB necessarily prefers veterans over new comers.

Respectfully disagree.

I remember Grant, Kyle, and Vescovi getting some heavy PT their freshman years...
Not exactly the greatest examples because they literally had nobody ahead of them worth their weight in salt, but I get what you're saying.

Barnes, in my opinion, does play veterans early more than younger players, but that's fine? That's usually how it works unless you just have a young roster overall.

VN Store

Back