The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Caleb Love just announced he’s coming back to UNC. A friend of mine who’s an UNC fan says it sounds like he get roughly a couple million dollars.

Must be nice to have someone step up and pay your elite point guard.

Caleb Love just announced he’s coming back to UNC. A friend of mine who’s an UNC fan says it sounds like he get roughly a couple million dollars.

UNC has a rich tradition in basketball so this isn’t really shocking news.

I highly doubt Mack Brown is getting the same amount of money to work with.

Caleb still has some things to work on and he probably was going to be a second round pick, he made the wise choice in staying another year to up his draft grade

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Shouldn’t have to be that way, though. I will have to ask him how football is going.

Ask a Tennessee fan what they enjoy looking forward too every year and I guarantee you, 80% of them will say football.

I’m sure Spyre is very well aware of how passionate this fan base is about football. Of course they’ll invest more money into it.

Yeah, it shouldn’t have to be that way but it is what it is.

Ask a Tennessee fan what they enjoy looking forward too every year and I guarantee you, 80% of them will say football.

I’m sure Spyre is very well aware of how passionate this fan base is about football. Of course they’ll invest more money into it.

Yeah, it shouldn’t have to be that way but it is what it is.
I feel like you’re underestimating the amount of Tennessee basketball fans.

Caleb still has some things to work on and he probably was going to be a second round pick, he made the wise choice in staying another year to up his draft grade
Which leads to my point. If North Carolina is willing to pay 2 million dollars for a second round pick, why can’t Tennessee pay 4+ for an elite talent?

I feel like you’re underestimating the amount of Tennessee basketball fans.

I’m very aware there’s a good chunk of fans that enjoy basketball if not more than football.

However, the University has always been revolved around football.

I’m sure basketball schools have more money invested into their basketball program.

I’m very aware there’s a good chunk of fans that enjoy basketball if not more than football.

However, the University has always been #1 in the eyes of the fans.

I’m sure basketball schools have more money invested into their basketball program.
You can invest more money in one, but not if you’re completely neglecting the other one. Which, it looks like as far as incoming players are concerned, we are.

You can invest more money in one, but not if you’re completely neglecting the other one. Which, it looks like as far as incoming players are concerned, we are.

Then that’s a Spyre issue.

They’re only willing to spend a certain amount of money for a basketball player compared to a football player.

Nico Lamaleava got an 8 million NIL deal.

You won’t see them do that for a guy like Phillips cause they don’t think it’s worth it in the long run.

Then that’s a Spyre issue.

They’re only willing to spend a certain amount of money for a basketball player compared to a football player.

Nico Lamaleava got an 8 million NIL deal.

You won’t see them do that for a guy like Phillips cause they don’t think it’s worth it in the long run.
Phillips isn’t asking for $8m, or anywhere close to it. I would argue $8m for a quarterback is a much bigger risk than 6 figures for a one and done basketball player.

If Phillips is good and marketable, it’s peanuts for him as well.

Don’t necessarily disagree, but you said more risk for the QB, which I don’t agree with. As long as he doesn’t transfer, the QB should be on campus for 3 years, which is huge for marketing. A one and done bball player is on campus for 8 months. A QB at a high level SEC school also gets a ton of exposure. It’s a position that gets more views and “clicks.” We aren’t just evaluating wins and losses with these deals.

Don’t necessarily disagree, but you said more risk for the QB, which I don’t agree with. As long as he doesn’t transfer, the QB should be on campus for 3 years, which is huge for marketing. A one and done bball player is on campus for 8 months. A QB at a high level SEC school also gets a ton of exposure. It’s a position that gets more views and “clicks.” We aren’t just evaluating wins and losses with these deals.

Spencer Rattler from OU received a sizeable NIL deal last year (by 2021 standards) and ended up booed off the field by his own fans and then replaced. That is a risk if you’re looking for product promotion.

Spencer Rattler from OU received a sizeable NIL deal last year (by 2021 standards) and ended up booed off the field by his own fans and then replaced. That is a risk if you’re looking for product promotion.

But Heupel knows a thing about QB’s and if he pursues it, I would say it’s a decent investment. Plus, at this point, Nico is peer recruiting, so you can even point to more players in the class because of his NIL deal. Then, he’s only getting $2 million the first year, so you aren’t paying the entire amount. Unlike Rattler, Nico also appears to be a very outgoing and likeable kid, where the marketing comes in. The UT athletic programs are looking for similar type kids- those who will work hard, be good citizens, and contribute to good team chemistry and culture.

Rattler and DJ were both huge busts with similar recruiting rankings and NIL deals. It’s a risk.

Rattler and DJ were both huge busts with similar recruiting rankings and NIL deals. It’s a risk.

I consider those different scenarios. Those guys were recruited to campus and then NIL became a thing.

This is all happening from the beginning. Heupal and staff have recruited the kid, scouted the kid, and have identified him as a guy they like to offer that kind of money. Sure, it’s always a risk, but there is so much more reward for it to happen to an SEC star QB for 3 years than for a basketball player who stays for 8 months. Again, it’s more than just winning. That said, I would love for the basketball player to get it as well so that we get great talent. But the numbers are just so much greater in football- tickets, eyes on the tv, etc.

I realize nobody cares, but man a lot of stuff has combined to just kind of kill my interest in following CBB as closely anymore. Officials being stunningly incompetent, transfer portal making every team brand new each year, NIL making players even more of mercenaries than before. Idk, I think I’m going to disinvest a bit.
Again, who cares I get it, and the same stuff has been said a million ways by a million posters. It’s just a bummer, and I wanted to vent

VN Store

Back