The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

If no JJJ or Vescovi, the rotation becomes interesting.

I think Key is capable of playing the Vescovi role on offense. He can be the one we focus the screens actions for because he can get his shot off quick and hit them well enough.

Problem is he is already our second primary ball handler. Seems hard to make that strategy work unless ZZ is gonna play 40 min.

I’d say most likely scenario is we play big with one of Aidoo or Plav always on the floor.

And he's absolutely not the ans-wer, there. I said it pre-season and I'll say it again for emphasis; our absence of another ball-handler is going to lower our ceiling, this year. ZZ is a great complimentary piece at PG, but he isn't Kennedy Chandler or Yuri Collins. And the old adage is still true...you can never have enough ball handlers.

And he's absolutely not the ans-wer, there. I said it pre-season and I'll say it again for emphasis; our absence of another ball-handler is going to lower our ceiling, this year. ZZ is a great complimentary piece at PG, but he isn't Kennedy Chandler or Yuri Collins. And the old adage is still true...you can never have enough ball handlers.
Sadly, this is true.

The thing with Josiah is that even when he’s playing, he’s quite compromised. Watching him at TBA and seeing him unable to defend as well and unable to go inside with authority, or rebound with authority, is disappointing. Obviously, it’s not his fault and I’m sure it is hard on him, but guys playing hurt that affect in-game performance is a tough predicament for players and coaches alike.

Agreed - it sux all around. JJJ is such a leader and high character young man who has given his all to this program that you wish only the best for him especially in his senior year.

Barnes alluded to our 2nd half defense in his post game press conference. He said everyone was very tired and they just couldn’t stay in front of their man. He was disappointed, but seemed to concede to the fact they just had too many guys out and wounded.

I was hoping Awaka would have gotten more run in the second half. He was the best player on the floor in the first half. He is going to be a beast.

Last edited:
I was hoping Awaka would have gotten more run in the second half. He was the best player on the floor in the first half. He is going to be a beast.
He certainly doesn't look like a freshman physically. Reminds me of how Jarnell Stokes came in looking his freshman year looking like a grown man with a family and a 401k.

Agreed - it sux all around. JJJ is such a leader and high character young man who has given his all to this program that you wish only the best for him especially in his senior year.
I wonder if this year becomes a wash if he decides to run it back another year. Probably not, he’s not been able to stay healthy any year while here so he might as well get his money while he can, but it’s a consideration if he wants a complete senior year

He certainly doesn't look like a freshman physically. Reminds me of how Jarnell Stokes came in looking his freshman year looking like a grown man with a family and a 401k.
And Awaka is another guy who came in having never lifted weights in his life. Imagine what he looks like in 2 years.

Look what this guy did...
5a58066dddffb85997bd347739379732.jpg

I wonder if this year becomes a wash if he decides to run it back another year. Probably not, he’s not been able to stay healthy any year while here so he might as well get his money while he can, but it’s a consideration if he wants a complete senior year

Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure. My guess is that he will go to the next level - whatever that ends up being. Selfishly, hope I am wrong as I love JJJ and what he means to our program.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure. My guess is that he will go to the next level - whatever that ends up being. Selfishly, hope I am wrong as I love JJJ and what he means to our program.
Yeah, he’s earned respect for his contributions to Tennessee basketball even if he doesn’t play another minute. He’s never gotten his due here IMO but I think he’ll be more appreciated in hindsight after his career here wraps up, hopefully after many more games!

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Vols #8 in athletic ranking

Men's college basketball power rankings: Alabama and the making of a title contender

8. Tennessee (9-1)
It was 34-17 at halftime of Tennessee’s Barclays Center matchup with Maryland last Sunday. Maryland was 3-of-24 from the field. It was the kind of dominant, brutal defensive performance against a surprising Maryland outfit that started to get us wondering about at least a couple of things: Maybe Tennessee is the best team in the country? Or, maybe, Maryland is coming back to Earth? Or both? Possibly both.

And then the second half started and the Terrapins rallied — while Tennessee’s offense disappeared down a deep, dark psychological prison of the mind.

This could become an issue. There is every reason to expect Tennessee will be one of, if not the best, defensive team in the country. The numbers are already there, and it would make sense: The Volunteers have been a top-five defensive team for the past two full seasons under Rick Barnes, who has traditionally coached some pretty damn good defense. But the offense? Woof. Tennessee is shooting 46.0 percent from 2 and 32.4 percent from 3 while turning the ball over on a fifth of its possessions. This is a good offensive rebounding team, one that generates free throws and moves the ball well and runs good stuff and all of that — but it is not, as of yet, a team that can reliably shoot.

Josiah-Jordan James getting healthy will help, but this appears to be the key area for Tennessee to monitor most of the year. If the Vols really figure it out offensively, they’ll be scary. If they don’t, they’ll still be a very tough out, albeit one with a limited ceiling. We’ll see.

Yeah, he’s earned respect for his contributions to Tennessee basketball even if he doesn’t play another minute. He’s never gotten his due here IMO but I think he’ll be more appreciated in hindsight after his career here wraps up, hopefully after many more games!

Agreed. His impact on the game goes well beyond the box score (which he manages to fill up really well across the line when he's healthy).

Reactions: ArdentVol
I got some guy arguing with me - his main issue with this game is that Barnes didn’t ride the officials harder 😂

That's pretty much what I'm referring to. It's just dumb. The same people complaining he didn't get a T would have been whining if he got a T and Arizona got 2 more points.

VN Store

Back