The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Uros was the only guy on our roster who could match up with their big center. It hurt our chances when Uros made dumb decisions that limited his playing time. Seems like a very appropriate time to call him out JMO.
Agreed, this was a game we could’ve really used him more due to the matchup. Can’t take yourself out of the game for something dumb like that. I’m sure barnes is tired of it, not like it’s the first time he’s done it.

Maybe he gets by with it at home, but not on the road? I mean, I think it fires up the team and the crowd. We just don't need that on the road.
I think it has the opposite affect on the road. Definitely fired their crowd up and their team.

Was trash talking in the Michigan game last year some too and got punked.

Reactions: i2amavol
You say you disagree, but then write a paragraph about how you seemingly agree. You're right, we don't have the luxury of playing him in his appropriate role. We have to play him as our primary (only) lead guard because the rest aren't cutting it and we don't have a Kennedy Chandler, a Yuri Collins, or a Jordan Bone. ZZ has to be the guy, absolutely, but I think that likely caps our season because he can't play 40 minutes and we are in trouble without him on the floor at the PG position against athletic teams that will make us play 94'.
My bad, I was feeling good last night, despite the loss and Mary Jane. You were saying Key was not the answer, not ZZZ. So yeah, my post was kinda backing you

Reactions: cncchris33
You know one takeaway for me from last night is we may not be as down bad next year as I maybe expect. Josiah didn’t play last night, and Santi, Key, and Phillips all struggled on offense, and we were still competitive in a top ten road game

I think next year's squad with ZZ, Mashack, & Aidoo all entering year 3 and with DJ Jefferson, BJ Edwards, and Awaka in their 2nd year plus the addition of Freddie Dilione, JP Estrella, Cade Phillips and Cameron Carr could be a very exciting/explosive team

I think Freddie and JP will be the key additions in that class from an immediate impact standpoint. But I like the potential of all 4 of them to be big time players.

Not sure where numbers will be, but I think Olivier, JJJ, Santi, and even Uros all have the ability to return next season too. And then of course Phillips, but with his size and being a top 15 rated guy would just expect he's a 1 & done.

I think next year's squad with ZZ, Mashack, & Aidoo all entering year 3 and with DJ Jefferson, BJ Edwards, and Awaka in their 2nd year plus the addition of Freddie Dilione, JP Estrella, Cade Phillips and Cameron Carr could be a very exciting/explosive team

I think Freddie and JP will be the key additions in that class from an immediate impact standpoint. But I like the potential of all 4 of them to be big time players.

Not sure where numbers will be, but I think Olivier, JJJ, Santi, and even Uros all have the ability to return next season too. And then of course Phillips, but with his size and being a top 15 rated guy would just expect he's a 1 & done.

I hope ORN and Plav move on, but it's one of those, "I'm fine if they stay, but not upset if they go" situations. I'd love to get a transfer PG this time, unless Dillione just steps into PG and we roll with him and ZZ, which is fine.

Curious how the rest pan out though.

PG - ZZ/Dillione
SG - Edwards/Carr
SF - Mashack/Jefferson
PF - ORN/ Awaka/Phillips
C - Aidoo/Plav/Estrella

Key, JJJ, Santi, and Phillips all leave. Do we need someone to leave to get a transfer? I don't keep up with the numbers rule in basketball

I hope ORN and Plav move on, but it's one of those, "I'm fine if they stay, but not upset if they go" situations. I'd love to get a transfer PG this time, unless Dillione just steps into PG and we roll with him and ZZ, which is fine.

Curious how the rest pan out though.

I think BJ next season will be a legit option at PG. He's got the drive and physical talent already, but Barnes likes his PGs to be extremely smart with the ball. It's why he was critical of ZZ after Colorado. You can shoot badly, but if you play hard defense and take care of the ball with Barnes you'll be on the court.

But I also think any top 25 PG or CG that you bring in has the potential to be an immediate contributor too. And Dillione will get all he can handle in practice from ZZ, Mashack, and BJ so it'll only help him.

Uros has been in school the longest, but he's also really grown to love the area so if he can I wouldn't be surprised to see him return.

I'd personally want Santi back of all of them. Just because Santi showed us last year with KC here just how great he can be when he gets to focus on being a scorer first.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I think BJ next season will be a legit option at PG. He's got the drive and physical talent already, but Barnes likes his PGs to be extremely smart with the ball. It's why he was critical of ZZ after Colorado. You can shoot badly, but if you play hard defense and take care of the ball with Barnes you'll be on the court.

But I also think any top 25 PG or CG that you bring in has the potential to be an immediate contributor too. And Dillione will get all he can handle in practice from ZZ, Mashack, and BJ so it'll only help him.

Uros has been in school the longest, but he's also really grown to love the area so if he can I wouldn't be surprised to see him return.

I'd personally want Santi back of all of them. Just because Santi showed us last year with KC here just how great he can be when he gets to focus on being a scorer first.

If we can bring Santi back, that will be a big game changer

PG - ZZ/Dillione
SG - Edwards/Carr
SF - Mashack/Jefferson
PF - ORN/ Awaka/Phillips
C - Aidoo/Plav/Estrella

Key, JJJ, Santi, and Phillips all leave. Do we need someone to leave to get a transfer? I don't keep up with the numbers rule in basketball

Men's teams can have 13 on scholarship (but there is a continued lobbying for it to be 15 like the Women)

Guards: BJ Edwards, DJ Jefferson (RS), ZZ, Mashack, JJJ, Santi, Key
Forwards: Julian Phillips, Awaka, Aidoo, Olivier, Uros

So unless I'm missing someone we only have 12 on scholarship right now...Key is the only one for sure gone.

PG - ZZ/Dillione
SG - Edwards/Carr
SF - Mashack/Jefferson
PF - ORN/ Awaka/Phillips
C - Aidoo/Plav/Estrella

13 is the scholarship limit, we have 12 on scholarship this year, so already room for 1. Key is out of eligibility so 2. Santi, JJJ, ON & Plav all seniors but have an extra year if they wanted to that’s room for 6, Phillips potential one and done would be 7. We have 4 signed.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
13 is the scholarship limit, we have 12 on scholarship this year, so already room for 1. Key is out of eligibility so 2. Santi, JJJ, ON & Plav all seniors but have an extra year if they wanted to that’s room for 6, Phillips potential one and done would be 7. We have 4 signed.

So the does that mean the 4 seniors with the COVID year wouldn't count against the 13 next year?

Yeah.

So @TrippieRedd we have 4 signed for next year and only 2 spots that we 100% know will open (but a total of 7 we assume will be open). Which I think Barnes will wait until those 4 seniors decide if they want to return or not before he does anything to fill their spots.
Just projecting/speculating, I think 1 of Nkamhoua or Plav return, SantI & JJJ gone, so that would leave 1 more open spot and then also Phillips decision which I think is currently about 50/50. So add 1 with Phillips return or add 2, I think they’ll look to the portal with that spot(s).

Just projecting/speculating, I think 1 of Nkamhoua or Plav return, SantI & JJJ gone, so that would leave 1 more open spot and then also Phillips decision which I think is currently about 50/50. So add 1 with Phillips return or add 2, I think they’ll look to the portal with that spot(s).

I pretty much agree. Although ORN and Uros BOTH returning wouldn’t surprise me. Either could move on to Euro-ball though. And also if JJJ never gets on track this year I could see N-I-L drawing him back for a 6th year.

Reactions: ArdentVol
For those pining for somebody other than CRB running the program, the 13th anniversary of this nonsense is less than two weeks away:

Tyler Smith, Brian Williams, Melvin Goins, and Cameron Tatum were arrested by Knoxville Police just after noon when an officer stopped them for speeding and then called for a backup K-9 unit while smelling a "strong odor of marijuana."

The K-9 alerted police and the vehicle, driven by Tatum, was then searched. They recovered two handguns, one under each seat in the front of the car, a bag of marijuana, and an open alcohol container. One of the handguns had an altered serial number as well.

Breaking: Four UT Vols Basketball Players Arrested New Years Day

For those pining for somebody other than CRB running the program, the 13th anniversary of this nonsense is less than two weeks away:

Tyler Smith, Brian Williams, Melvin Goins, and Cameron Tatum were arrested by Knoxville Police just after noon when an officer stopped them for speeding and then called for a backup K-9 unit while smelling a "strong odor of marijuana."

The K-9 alerted police and the vehicle, driven by Tatum, was then searched. They recovered two handguns, one under each seat in the front of the car, a bag of marijuana, and an open alcohol container. One of the handguns had an altered serial number as well.

Good lord, 13 years ago.

And still beating Kansas all these years later!

Good lord, 13 years ago.

Some posters might not even be aware of that sad day. And then Pearl did a magic trick versus #1 Kansas 9 days later. Without the suspended players. That’s why so many can’t let him go. Personally I’m thrilled with the culture within the program today. I hope that we never have to go back to ignoring character in order to add big time ballers to the roster.

In the next chapter of Tainted TN Hoops History we could do one called Ramar Smith.

Yeah I can see Olivier OR Uros returning (and I'd bank on it being Uros)

I think Santi is 100% gone regardless of what happens this season, who knows if he tries to get into the NBA or not but he'll eventually end up playing professional ball back home I think.

So that's your 4 spots right there (Key, Olivier, Santi, 1 open already).

JJJ I think is gone too, but he loves the area and if the knee keeps him from finishing the season on the court he could pull a Fulky and return.

Phillips I'd personally love to see him return I think a full off-season in the S&C program and having a year of seeing what he needs to develop to be a top level SEC player could be huge for him, but if he gets 1st round projections that'll be hard to ignore.

VN Store

Back