The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Long story about Zakai in the athletic; life, recruitment, the fire, the house, etc.

When 'the DNA' of Tennessee's program lost his NYC home, a community rallied

Some excerpts:
Not long after, Zakai was on the familiar A train when his phone rang. Rick Barnes introduced himself and said Tennessee was very interested in bringing Zakai to campus. Barnes told him about his program, his own history, some of the great point guards he coached. “I’m gonna be honest, I had no idea who he was,” Zakai laughs. A few phone calls and he learned more about Barnes – his ears especially pricked up when he learned he coached Kevin Durant – and agreed to a visit. By the time he left, he decided to commit to Tennessee.
The fit made sense. Barnes likes defense, and Zakai likes to play it. Still, the coach figured he’d redshirt Zakai, banking him for the Vols’ starting point guard after five-star Kennedy Chandler invariably went pro. “After the first week of practice, we were talking about redshirting Kennedy,” Barnes laughs. He is sitting off to the side of Tennessee’s pre-game walkthrough prior to the Maryland game, watching Zakai, the tiniest guy on the court, muscle his way through the big bodies to find an open player or fearlessly defend players in the post who have 6 inches on him. “I just love him,” he says.

By late February, Zakai was a pivotal piece in the Vol machine, a sixth-man spark who was averaging 8.9 points per game. When his mother wept while their house burned, none of that mattered. All Zakai could think was, “This is my fault. If I was there, I could have done something.” He relives that night now, standing in front of the vacant building, explaining how helpless he felt; how guilty. He carried it around like an anvil in his chest for days, going through the motions at practice, and playing horribly in Tennessee’s next game, at Georgia. In the locker room afterward, the player taught by his mother to never let them see you sweat, fell apart. He sobbed, not for what he had lost. “The stuff didn’t matter,’’ he says. “I just couldn’t stop thinking that I should have been there.”

Zakai was then and is now, months later, speechless. He has run into some of the 5,600 people who contributed, and told them all the same thing. “Don’t tell me what you donated,’’ he says. “I don’t care if it was $1 or $1,000, you helped me. That’s all that matters.” He is not so much motivated to play for them – though the 11.1 points, 3.4 assists and 2.4 steals for the No. 8 Vols is well received – but to behave for them. “I don’t want anyone to ever say, ‘Why did I help that kid?” he says. “I want to make them proud.” He says yes to any birthday party appearances requested of him, and stops to grin for one selfie after the next postgame. One of Barnes’ fellow church-goers recently stopped the coach after services, saying how she just so happened to be in Chick-Fil-A when Zakai came in. “She said he made every single person he met feel important,” Barnes says. “That’s just who he is. He’s kind, he’s gentle, tenacious, tough. He’s all of it. And he doesn’t have a selfish bone in his body.”

When the GoFundMe funds kept pouring in, far exceeding the money necessary to get Nori what he needed, Charmane started to think bigger. “I think,’’ she told her son, “we can get a house.’’ They talked about where they’d live. Zakai is still attached to New York, but Charmane wanted out. She had enough of the cold and the crime in their neighborhood, and wanted a fresh start. They talked about Atlanta, where she has family. She tossed out Florida, which he quickly vetoed. Finally, they agreed that the best place would be with the people who restored them. In August, the Zeiglers moved into their home in Knoxville. Standing in the Barclay Center watching her son score 12 in a win against Maryland, Charmane waves to the Tennessee crowd around her. “These people,” she says, dragging her fingertips across her eyes to wipe away the tears, “they saved my life. They saved my family. It feels like a movie. I watch this stuff on TV.”

I met Zakai, Uros and JJJ at an event before the season. ZZ had a walking boot and still came, they were early and the event was supposed to be 2 or so hours. Just a meet & greet in a small town at a small school. They were there for over 4 hours, shot hoops with anyone (parent or child) signed any and everything the parents or kids asked them to and talked to everyone.

By the end of the event though, ZZ was clearly everyone's favorite (not that Uros or JJJ did anything wrong). ZZ just has a natural charm and positive energy that pours out of him.

I met Zakai, Uros and JJJ at an event before the season. ZZ had a walking boot and still came, they were early and the event was supposed to be 2 or so hours. Just a meet & greet in a small town at a small school. They were there for over 4 hours, shot hoops with anyone (parent or child) signed any and everything the parents or kids asked them to and talked to everyone.

By the end of the event though, ZZ was clearly everyone's favorite (not that Uros or JJJ did anything wrong). ZZ just has a natural charm and positive energy that pours out of him.

One thing I've noticed about ZZ, he relates better with kids because he's very charming but also not a giant. JJJ and Uros are great guys but kids get a little awed by their size. Saw the same thing with Fulkerson at a basketball camp. Elementary school aged kids are just awed that humans that big exist.

One thing I've noticed about ZZ, he relates better with kids because he's very charming but also not a giant. JJJ and Uros are great guys but kids get a little awed by their size. Saw the same thing with Fulkerson at a basketball camp. Elementary school aged kids are just awed that humans that big exist.

Oh yeah, Uros especially. Felt like most of the folks there didn't exactly no who he was but he was BIG so they took a picture with him anyway lol

They all knew who JJJ & ZZ were before the event. I will also say JJJ is going to be a great coach one day.

I generally like small ball. But Olivier is so much better at the 4 than the 5 (As he is our small ball 5) that I think small ball should be limited. I think we are better playing big.
To me JJJ made small ball work well in the past. Until he returns close to 100%, small ball might not happen very much

To me JJJ made small ball work well in the past. Until he returns close to 100%, small ball might not happen very much

100%

JJJ is the straw that stirs the drink for most of our lineups imo but especially small ball because of his ability to defend and rebound regardless of who he is guarding and then he is probably our best offensive threat to score all 3 levels.

I generally like small ball. But Olivier is so much better at the 4 than the 5 (As he is our small ball 5) that I think small ball should be limited. I think we are better playing big.

100%

JJJ is the straw that stirs the drink for most of our lineups imo but especially small ball because of his ability to defend and rebound regardless of who he is guarding and then he is probably our best offensive threat to score all 3 levels.

I agree, here. JJJ's versatility was the key to playing small ball. He could handle the ball, shoot the ball, rebound the ball, and defend four positions. We don't really have another player who can do all those things consistently well.

I also think we came into the year thinking that our advantage was going to be on the perimeter. A lack of a secondary ball-handler has limited that advantage to a degree, as have our struggles to get consistent outside shooting production from our guards. Injuries have played a key role in this.

Additionally, I think we have seen a lot of, perhaps unexpected, improvement from our bigs, in addition to seeing that Tobe Awaka is a little more ready to play than first anticipated.

I was very high on Awaka because of his motor and thirst for rebounds, but even I didn't expect that he'd contribute as much as he has, this early. The rebounding is elite. I mentioned it in another post a week or so ago, and while the caveat that it is still early and he doesn't play nearly the amount of minutes holds true, his "per 40 minutes" and "per 100 possessions" rebounding numbers are significantly better than those of Oscar Tshiebwe. Obviously, there is a long way to go and we need to see if he can maintain that same ability across longer spans and more minutes, but anywhere close to that is elite.

Just to paint a picture...

Awaka has 21 offensive rebounds and 41 total in 76 minutes played.

Nkamhoua has 18 offensive rebounds and 45 total in 330 minutes played.

Plavsic has 18 offensive rebounds and 47 total in 158 minutes played.

Aidoo has 25 offensive rebounds and 57 total in 184 minutes played.

Awaka doesn't overthink things, which is impressive for a freshman, as the mental hurdle of slowing things down is usually a hurdle for young players. Last night in the first half, he caught the ball in the post and without even thinking, spun left, took one power dribble, and went up and used the glass. How many freshman post players that we have had would have caught the ball, held it for a couple seconds trying to think of what they wanted to do, and then tried to finesse a low percentage shot, dribble into traffic in the paint and turn it over, or panic and kick it back out to a guard? I love Awaka's ceiling. He's just scratching the surface of how good he can be. What a find!

Jonas Aidoo is healthy and has made drastic improvement, as well. He is still a little raw, offensively, but he is asserting himself a little more, crashing the boards, and plays really good defense, as well.

Plavsic is Plavsic. Often maligned by our fanbase, he consistently is one of the emotional leaders, plays hard, and plays within himself. Never have to worry about him trying to do too much. He's an underrated passer. 5 ppg and 4.5 rpg isn't flashy, but he has a role, and more importantly, he knows his role and plays within it.

Nkamhoua has shown the most improvement, but maybe leaves you wanting the most of any of the guys in the post. His scoring is extremely important to this team because we struggle for scoring at times. He's capable enough from outside that he can't just be left unguarded. He's a good enough ball-handler that he can drive the lane on many opposing big men. He has a really nice mid-range jumper. His gaffes show up on the boards, where he is inconsistent, and on the defensive end, where he is also inconsistent. If he could provide more consistency in those areas, he'd get talked about as a darkhorse All-SEC level player.

Last edited:
Vols at #10 in athletic ranking. The entire summary reads as an explanation for the foul disparity in the Zona game...

Men's college basketball power rankings: Why UConn is now on top

10. Tennessee (10-2)
So, about the foul disparity against Arizona on Saturday: Undoubtedly, the refs missed a few calls that would have helped Tennessee close the ultimately very small gap between a big win and a disappointing loss. No question; fair enough. That happens sometimes, especially on the road, and it’s not totally unreasonable to lament crucial missed calls. (Fans aren’t supposed to be levelheaded and reasonable anyway. It’s not really in the job description, you know? Lament whatever they want to lament.)

That said, as a rule, Tennessee just … fouls a lot. It’s baked into the UT defensive cake. The Vols are arguably the nation’s best defensive team, or at least one of them; they are currently allowing the lowest effective field goal percentage in Division I (and holding opponents to just 20.2 percent from 3, which is wild) while generating the nation’s fourth-highest turnover rate. This is an aggressive, in-your-face, hands-on scheme, in every sense of those terms. And so, yes, that aggression, that desire to generate turnovers and bad shots, often translates into fouls. It just does. Tennessee opponents get to the foul line at an above-average rate. (Those same opponents also make a high percentage of their free throws, which is totally random and not something UT can affect, but is worth noting anyway — those fouls also turn into points at a marginally higher rate than normal.)

So, yes, playing against a good offensive team like Arizona, which plays a much less aggressive (and much less effective!) brand of defense that typically avoids fouls, and yeah: Sometimes you’ll shoot 10 free throws, and sometimes your opponent will shoot 27. That was the case Saturday, and Tennessee still almost won at Arizona anyway. It’s part of the cake, and the benefits usually outweigh the costs. But it shouldn’t necessarily surprise Tennessee fans to see those kinds of foul disparities here and there. Sometimes a lot of fouls is just a lot of fouls.

Vols at #10 in athletic ranking. The entire summary reads as an explanation for the foul disparity in the Zona game...

My lord. What a stupid read lol. Nothing about why Tennessee is the #10 team in the country just excuses and bashing Tennessee fans. I’ve always tried to temper our fans when they say the media is out to get us, but then you read crap like this and it really makes you think….

All that 🐂 💩. It's not like the players are bitching and Rick's passive aggressive kinda complaint, didn't even get a warning. The whole article was defending the calls against some UT fans. He made one good point, our defense is in your face and physical, so fouls get called. Click bait, imo

My lord. What a stupid read lol. Nothing about why Tennessee is the #10 team in the country just excuses and bashing Tennessee fans. I’ve always tried to temper our fans when they say the media is out to get us, but then you read crap like this and it really makes you think….

Yep, it’s pretty bizarre, and this is a pay site…

Reactions: Volprofch05
SI SEC pick flips to the Vols:

College basketball predictions for every conference winner - Sports Illustrated

SEC: Tennessee (Preseason: Kentucky)
Arguably our most competitive top-of-conference race is in the SEC, where four legitimate contenders have emerged. The worst of that quartet so far has been Kentucky, which still possesses major upside thanks to Oscar Tshiebwe at center. So far though, the Wildcats have lost their three biggest games on their schedule to date, often struggling to find flow offensively as veteran role players like Jacob Toppin, Antonio Reeves and CJ Fredrick have struggled. Even Wednesday’s win against lowly Florida A&M was far from impressive.

I was prepared to pick Arkansas to win the league, but news that star freshman Nick Smith Jr. is out indefinitely as he continues to deal with a right knee injury creates too much uncertainty. With talented forward Trevon Brazile already out, attrition may stop the Hogs from breaking through. That’s why we’ll go with the safe choice in Tennessee on the backs of the nation’s best defense. Alabama may be more well-equipped to win in March thanks to its balance and overall talent level, but the Vols could position themselves well for a No. 1 seed with a strong SEC record. As long as Zakai Zeigler can consistently create offense at point guard, this group might have enough to earn the top spot in the conference.

We sure are getting a lot of love from the prognosticators and pundits. It’s exciting, but also makes me nervous. Hope we can live up to the hype.
We certainly are. Honestly, I’m a little baffled, too. It’s not like things have gone well injury-wise for us, either. Our offense has been erratic as well, so maybe they think defense wins championships.

Arizona has just 4 games where their opponent had less than 15 FTAs, 3 of them were home games and all 4 happened in their last 5 games.

TN also has only had 4 teams shoot 20 or more FTAs all season. Colorado, FGCU, Maryland & Arizona and only the Wildcats shot more than 22. (Only FGCU was at home)

So that article isn’t even accurate.

VN Store

Back