The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Couldn’t agree more.

Honestly, college basketball on average might have the worst set of writers and coverage of any collegiate sport by far. Or just really any sport. Basically, if you aren’t a blue blood or if you don’t have a lottery pick on your roster you are never talked about and there is no analysis. I’ve been keeping up with CBS, ESPN, The Field of 68, etc. and most of the coverage has been about how disappointing Indiana, Kentucky, and North Carolina are, how great Kansas is, and how Alabama is amazing because of Brandon Miller.

I mean you would think Tennessee being on pace to have the best defense in college basketball statistical history would be more of a talking point, but really you wouldn’t know it if you weren’t a TN fan. The most I hear is “Tennessee has a good defense!”

Honestly, college basketball on average might have the worst set of writers and coverage of any collegiate sport by far. Or just really any sport. Basically, if you aren’t a blue blood or if you don’t have a lottery pick on your roster you are never talked about and there is no analysis. I’ve been keeping up with CBS, ESPN, The Field of 68, etc. and most of the coverage has been about how disappointing Indiana, Kentucky, and North Carolina are, how great Kansas is, and how Alabama is amazing because of Brandon Miller.

I mean you would think Tennessee being on pace to have the best defense in college basketball statistical history would be more of a talking point, but really you wouldn’t know it if you weren’t a TN fan. The most I hear is “Tennessee has a good defense!”
Yeah, we are just not news on their radar. That’s okay with me. I like flying along just beneath the horizon. Stay humble and prove it on the court.

Losing the very winnable SC game kept our football team out of the playoffs. Appears losing the very winnable Colorado game kept our basketball team from a #1 AP ranking ?

Losing the very winnable SC game kept our football team out of the playoffs. Appears losing the very winnable Colorado game kept our basketball team from a #1 AP ranking ?
You’ve got a good point there, but I don’t see us being #1 over Kansas, despite beating them by 14.

Team has looked so damn good with JJJ back, can't wait to watch the two home games this week!

Seems like Santi's shoulder is back to normal as well. He shot 58.3% from 3 the last 4 games and averaged 16.5 ppg

spot on.

Yeah, we are just not news on their radar. That’s okay with me. I like flying along just beneath the horizon. Stay humble and prove it on the court.
I understand your point, but Mookie points out this...flying under the radar puts more emphasis on the blue bloods.
We proved it on the court last year and Duke got rewarded for being Duke.

Reactions: cardvolfan

It's really sad because college basketball for me is right up there with college football as the best spectator sport, yet so much about college basektball is garbage. The sports writing and coverage is terrible if you aren't a blue blood and college basketball officiating is by far the worst in any organized sport imo. College football has similar problems but college basketball takes it to new levels. Bad officiating happens in every sport I watch but NONE of them make me as angry as college basketball. And even worse they never, ever seem to address any of the problems or do anything to address it; just every year everyone knows certain refs are beyond awful but they're still around doing whatever they want with no accountability.

I'm usually one who doesn't like to overly blame officiating but college baskeball is just infuriating sometimes with how bad it is.

You’ve got a good point there, but I don’t see us being #1 over Kansas, despite beating them by 14.
So you think if we had an only one loss to Arizona on their court and Kansas had just one loss to us on a neutral court, then Kansas would still be ranked higher than us?

It's really sad because college basketball for me is right up there with college football as the best spectator sport, yet so much about college basektball is garbage. The sports writing and coverage is terrible if you aren't a blue blood and college basketball officiating is by far the worst in any organized sport imo. College football has similar problems but college basketball takes it to new levels. Bad officiating happens in every sport I watch but NONE of them make me as angry as college basketball. And even worse they never, ever seem to address any of the problems or do anything to address it; just every year everyone knows certain refs are beyond awful but they're still around doing whatever they want with no accountability.

I'm usually one who doesn't like to overly blame officiating but college baskeball is just infuriating sometimes with how bad it is.
Case in point, last year's Arizona game at home and this year's at Arizona. Two of the worst officiated games I've watched in a while where the refs gave a huge advantage to the home team.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I absolutely do. Blue bloods get every advantage always.
I agree the BB get preferential treatment, but if the top 2 teams in the poll have similar strength of schedules and they both only have one loss, I’d be shocked if the loser of the HTH matchup was ranked higher. JMO

At some point you have to wonder when there will be some new blue bloods. I mean a lot of them just aren't what they used to be and I think UNC/Duke both are going to be on a decline.

Case in point, last year's Arizona game at home and this year's at Arizona. Two of the worst officiated games I've watched in a while where the refs gave a huge advantage to the home team.

I've seen checks in hockey that were not as bad as how hard Key was tackled near the end of the game.

At some point you have to wonder when there will be some new blue bloods. I mean a lot of them just aren't what they used to be and I think UNC/Duke both are going to be on a decline.

Gonzaga. But with Few around 60 years old will there be his kind of success ever again for that program.

Purdue could slide in. They’ve been slow and steady actually rising above the Big10. I think that they actually have the best winning percentage there. Or head-to-head results. I think that they're actually better than IU and tOSU and UM and Mich State. They’re just missing the NCAAT runs.

UCLA in the Big10 will be interesting.

Maybe it’s about time for the original Big East powers to cycle back up. Georgetown owned the NCAA a while ago. St. John’s was fierce competition for them.

Reactions: berryvol
Zakai has been so much better recently in the open court/ fast break. A lot of indecisiveness in the early season.

Agreed...this is being very critical on my part but it was very frustrating to me how often he would overthrow or miss a guy in a transition situation the first part of the season.

In the VQ Monday Night Chat, Rob Lewis said the team was scorching hot shooting the ball in practice today. Pray for Vandy tomorrow!

PLEASE, please shoot this well once the NCAA Tournament starts.

We already have an elite defense to cause problems.

If the offense starts clicking on a consistent basis, we’ll be extremely dangerous.

VN Store

Back