The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

It would be just our luck that the year after Auburn goes 15-3 and almost gets a 1-seed, our very elite 2022-2023 squad has to battle an Alabama team likely to get a 1-seed that is going 16-2. Hope I am wrong! Need some help from the rest of the league, but I’m starting to think the SEC kind of sucks this year.

The SEC may not be very deep, but is any conference really killing it this year? Doesn't seem like the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten are doing too hot. Maybe the Big 12 is ok but not exactly fearsome.

Edit: Plus, we'll have played two of the best Big 12 teams to provide a direct comparison to that league. Hopefully we'll go 2-for 2.

Not sure why anyone would’ve thought Missouri was very good? They beat a super inconsistent Illinois team that had their own internal drama going on, beat Kentucky at home but we’ve also since learned that Kentucky just sucks. They barely squeaked by Vanderbilt and lost to an Arkansas team that isn’t very good either.

Missouri is a team that likely is better than a lot of people think based on recent history, and at the same time, not as good as a lot of people think based on a couple nice wins. Which means they are probably a slightly above average team that can beat anyone on any given night and could lose to anyone on any given night.

The SEC may not be very deep, but is any conference really killing it this year? Doesn't seem like the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten are doing too hot. Maybe the Big 12 is ok but not exactly fearsome.

Edit: Plus, we'll have played two of the best Big 12 teams to provide a direct comparison to that league. Hopefully we'll go 2-for 2.
Big12 is probably the best conference, right now. I think every team in that conference has a shot at the NCAAT. They likely get 8 of their 10 teams in.

Sadly, it seems the SEC is very down this year. Its us and Alabama and then all the rest. Seems like we will need to go 16-2 and maybe 17-1 to win the SEC like @TheMookieMonster had already suggested.
I have a hard time thinking neither Bama or Tennessee drop another game somewhere, not impossible but that’s a tough ask…and then obviously the game with each other. I think 16-2 and winner of the Bama/Tenn game probably is your champion.

I have a hard time thinking neither Bama or Tennessee drop another game somewhere, not impossible but that’s a tough ask…and then obviously the game with each other. I think 16-2 and winner of the Bama/Tenn game probably is your champion.

Which is wild to think that you might have two teams go 16-2 and then a huge gap to the next best team. Very little margin for error this year to win the conference. We gotta bring the juice Saturday and take the Mildcats to the cleaners.

Which is wild to think that you might have two teams go 16-2 and then a huge gap to the next best team. Very little margin for error this year to win the conference. We gotta bring the juice Saturday and take the Mildcats to the cleaners.

I think 16-2 is a little ambitious for any team in this league. Not that it's impossible. There is always that mid conference schedule funk when a team loses two out of three or whatever. Not to mention winning on the road anywhere is just tough to do. I would lean towards 15-3 or even 14-4 winning this conference.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think 16-2 is a little ambitious for any team in this league. Not that it's impossible. There is always that mid conference schedule funk when a team loses two out of three or whatever. Not to mention winning on the road anywhere is just tough to do. I would lean towards 15-3 or even 14-4 winning this conference.

Maybe. I just haven’t seen any team in the league other than Tennessee that I think can beat Alabama. I’m not really impressed by the SEC so far, and Alabama clearly has the best player in the league in Brandon Miller whose scoring ability will win them a lot of games.

I’m looking at Alabama’s schedule right now and here are the games that I think Alabama has a remote chance of losing:

@ Missouri (1/21)
@ LSU (2/4)
@ Auburn (2/11)
@ Tennessee (2/15)
Arkansas (2/25)
Auburn (3/1)

The rest of their schedule is a cake walk. I don’t see Alabama losing at home. Arkansas and Auburn are okay teams, but nothing I have seen from them suggests they are good enough to go on the road and beat a likely 1-seed. So, assuming Alabama splits their 4 toughest road games that’s 16-2.

Reactions: berryvol
Read an article earlier about how Tshiebwe is struggling badly with big men and ball screen defense this year. Uros/Aidoo may be primed for a really nice combo game.

It would be just our luck that the year after Auburn goes 15-3 and almost gets a 1-seed, our very elite 2022-2023 squad has to battle an Alabama team likely to get a 1-seed that is going 16-2. Hope I am wrong! Need some help from the rest of the league, but I’m starting to think the SEC kind of sucks this year.
Easy now. Projecting 16-2 is quite the stretch, although possible.

Consider me surprised if 16-2 wins it. That game last night turned on 3 quick, unlikely 3-pointers. Otherwise, an Arkansas team that was not impressive had a chance.

Consider me surprised if 16-2 wins it. That game last night turned on 3 quick, unlikely 3-pointers. Otherwise, an Arkansas team that was not impressive had a chance.

Arkansas has been unimpressive, I agree. But, even when being unimpressive that roster still has a lot more talent on it than most of the other SEC teams this year. And their game was at home. Something funky could happen, but I think the floor for us needing to win the title is 15-3, but 16-2 feels more right. I just don’t see many teams in the SEC this year that look like actual threats to beat them.

Sure, but that was also at Arkansas which is a projected Top 5 team…how many other Top 5 teams does Bama play on the road?
Yeah, I can agree with that. Personally, I feel like they lose at Auburn, at Tennessee, and lose somewhere along the way to an unexpected opponent. But, the fun with college basketball is that it’s all conjecture.

VN Store

Back