The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The problem, or a very big portion of the problem, is that people just can’t conceive the randomness of the big dance. There are literally 10-12 variables surrounding any one weekend of tournament play that aren’t controllable by players or coaches.
Yes and no, the biggest issue with Barnes lack of tournament success is he usually get bounced by lower seeds. Im not talking a 1 losing to a 3 or 4 losing to a 5, but a 2 losing to a 12, 3 to a 14 or whatever, thats the problem. If you cant make it because youre losing to good teams then fine, but getting consistently upset is the problem.

Yes and no, the biggest issue with Barnes lack of tournament success is he usually get bounced by lower seeds. Im not talking a 1 losing to a 3 or 4 losing to a 5, but a 2 losing to a 12, 3 to a 14 or whatever, thats the problem. If you cant make it because youre losing to good teams then fine, but getting consistently upset is the problem.

You’re talking about under seeded teams bouncing him that twice went to the Elite Eight and one to a Final Four. Plus one was a major conference Tournament champion. It’s not like Campbell or Longwood is ending TN’s seasons.

So we gonna show up with confidence and swagger, make our shots, and take control of the game early, or are we going to get in our heads and play tight and allow them to make a game of it from the start?

So we gonna show up with confidence and swagger, make our shots, and take control of the game early, or are we going to get in our heads and play tight and allow them to make a game of it from the start?

I don’t know if I’ve witnessed this team being tight so far. They had days where shots weren’t falling, but it appears to me that they always have confidence. I like their mentality.

Last year Bailey could have used less swagger now and then. There were games when he couldn’t make a shot for the life of him. But that didn’t slow him down from clanging a dozen or more attempts.

I don’t know if I’ve witnessed this team being tight so far. They had days where shots weren’t falling, but it appears to me that they always have confidence. I like their mentality.

Last year Bailey could have used less swagger now and then. There were games when he couldn’t make a shot for the life of him. But that didn’t slow him down from clanging a dozen or more attempts.

There've been a few, Colorado, Maryland, and Ole Miss we didn't loosen up that well, but got the W on the last two... I want us to come out like we did against MSST and blow them out from the gate and cut any hope they have... no mercy...
Good news is it's home and we are in a good place nationally, so I don't see the refs trying to will/help KY into a win or keep them in a game like they have in the past... If they try it, Barnes better get out of his chair and let them have it instead and just sitting and watching... GBO!!

There've been a few, Colorado, Maryland, and Ole Miss we didn't loosen up that well, but got the W on the last two... I want us to come out like we did against MSST and blow them out from the gate and cut any hope they have... no mercy...
Good news is it's home and we are in a good place nationally, so I don't see the refs trying to will/help KY into a win or keep them in a game like they have in the past... If they try it, Barnes better get out of his chair and let them have it instead and just sitting and watching... GBO!!

The ole “Barnes just sits and watches.”

Its still the narrative until he changes it.

He could make the finals and the narrative will be that he can’t win the big one.

Losing to a lower seed is a nonsensical argument. Any of the 9s or 10s could beat a higher seed and the seeds are always a bad indicator. No way Michigan wasn’t far better than their 11 seed indicated. Oregon State as a 12 after they won their P-5 conference tournament is a complete joke and a brutal draw for a #5. Michigan finished ranked 25 and OSU was 20th. That translates to the highest 7 and a 5. Matchups are far more relevant. Especially on “neutral” courts when the lower seeded team has the crowd backing more often than not.

He could make the finals and the narrative will be that he can’t win the big one.

Losing to a lower seed is a nonsensical argument. Any of the 9s or 10s could beat a higher seed and the seeds are always a bad indicator. No way Michigan wasn’t far better than their 11 seed indicated. Oregon State as a 12 after they won their P-5 conference tournament is a complete joke and a brutal draw for a #5. Michigan finished ranked 25 and OSU was 20th. That translates to the highest 7 and a 5. Matchups are far more relevant. Especially on “neutral” courts when the lower seeded team has the crowd backing more often than not.
We can just agree to disagree.

1 Sweet 16 appearance in the last 14 years….He had a great 6 year run (02-08), but since his last Elite 8 in 07-08, he’s made it past the 2nd round once.

The narrative is what it is. I’m not hating, he’s a great coach and I’m glad we have him. But I don’t expect much when it comes tourney time.

Reactions: orangemadam
1 Sweet 16 appearance in the last 14 years….He had a great 6 year run (02-08), but since his last Elite 8 in 07-08, he’s made it past the 2nd round once.

The narrative is what it is. I’m not hating, he’s a great coach and I’m glad we have him. But I don’t expect much when it comes tourney time.
Hopefully you enjoy the ride during the regular season. It’d be a shame to only tune in for the disappointment.

People around here think that Sweet 16s are simple to achieve. Barnes has 7 of them. The University of Tennessee has been to 8.

In bracket watch, looks like the athletic has us barely losing out to Bama for a 1 seed

Bracket Watch: Can Pitt, Northwestern and/or Clemson be rogue ones of March?

Climb!” Arizona’s home loss to Washington State and UConn’s third loss in four games left a power vacuum at the top. We filled it with Alabama, in a close call with SEC rival Tennessee. While the Volunteers boast the better metrics, the Crimson Tide’s five Quad 1 wins — including true road victories at Houston and Arkansas — and No. 1 strength of schedule per NET carry the day

89CB8595-F7AA-45AC-99FC-0B342E95C433.jpeg

VN Store

Back