The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

We really need JP to pick it up. His ability to score off the dribble is the X factor right now.
When he gets to the elbow or the middle of the paint, his stop and pop jumper is lethal. Problem is, one, we go long stretches without looking to get him the ball in positions to score and, two, he seems to lack aggression against bigger and better opponents. Hopefully both of these change down the stretch.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
I haven't looked at a re-run of the Ky game but a question I have is this:

Coach and the stats show that UT is 14-0 when winning the rebound battle and 0-3 when we are out-rebounded.
If this is the case, do we really want Plav's offense if we know he doesn't rebound? Should we be using more of Awaka and Aidoo playing together for more minutes?

Coach and the stats show that UT is 14-0 when winning the rebound battle and 0-3 when we are out-rebounded.
If this is the case, do we really want Plav's offense if we know he doesn't rebound? Should we be using more of Awaka and Aidoo playing together for more minutes?

I don’t think Plav is the problem.

He’s scoring points.

We’re kinda in a catch-22 with our big men. ORN is obviously the best we have all around down low, but he tends to take some games off (typically against our toughest opponents, unfortunately). Plav plays harder than anyone on the roster, but he has his limitations with rebounding and, a lot of the time, scoring. Aidoo rebounds well, but can get pushed around by stronger big men and isn’t the scoring presence inside that ORN and sometimes Plav is. Awaka can rebound like a madman and has developed a decent back to the basket game, but his height and experience will limit him against guys like Oscar. We REALLY need ORN to step up and play hard game in and game out. If he can be the guy every night, that raises the ceiling of this team to the moon because we can situationally play our other bigs. If he can’t, well, you see what happened on the glass Saturday….

I don’t think Plav is the problem.

He’s scoring points.

Yeah, but I think it’s fair to say he needs to rebound a lot better given his height. I don’t think we can expect him to score 19 points very often (if ever again). He needs to be on the glass more. There are going to be plenty of nights where his shot isn’t falling and 1 rebound for someone 7’ 1” is……less than good.

Reactions: berryvol
Yeah, but I think it’s fair to say he needs to rebound a lot better given his height. I don’t think we can expect him to score 19 points very often (if ever again). He needs to be on the glass more. There are going to be plenty of nights where his shot isn’t falling and 1 rebound for someone 7’ 1” is……less than good.

Actually there are games when Uros doesn’t take many shots. He’s making 67% of them this year. Other than the first 2, when he only played 10 and 3 minutes, he’s had at least 3 rebounds in every game.

Plavsic will always rebound well against the mid-majors of the world, but will be only adequate at best against the athletic leapers of the world. However, he was 9-11 against Kentucky. That almost always wins against Kentucky, unless other scenarios go wrong on the same night. If Plav had played the same minutes as Oscar, he would have scored 30. He, Awaka, and Aidoo need to play 90% of the minutes. ON should sit. Four years in he is what he is. He can win you some games, but he can lose you some games.

Plavsic will always rebound well against the mid-majors of the world, but will be only adequate at best against the athletic leapers of the world. However, he was 9-11 against Kentucky. That almost always wins against Kentucky, unless other scenarios go wrong on the same night. If Plav had played the same minutes as Oscar, he would have scored 30. He, Awaka, and Aidoo need to play 90% of the minutes. ON should sit. Four years in he is what he is. He can win you some games, but he can lose you some games.

I’m not saying sit Uros. That wasn’t the intention of my post. I just meant I do agree that our bigs, particularly Uros, need to hit the glass better. Uros has been very efficient from the field so far this year, which I love, and because of that I have rarely said a negative word about him. But, our bigs (Uros included) need to do better on the boards. I know it’s easier said than done, but that’s how we will win games.

In general, rebounding is what wins you games. I mean the reason Alabama is so good is because of this stat below. Like, this is truly insane efficiency right here. I don’t expect us to be this good on the glass, but as another perimeter team, this is what separates us from Alabama right now.

EDIT: I just realized KenPom’s tweet was mathematically not correct, but essentially the stat was that Alabama is either converting or rebounding their misses on 3-point shots at an extremely high clip. The true number is 59%.

I’m not saying sit Uros. That wasn’t the intention of my post. I just meant I do agree that our bigs, particularly Uros, need to hit the glass better. Uros has been very efficient from the field so far this year, which I love, and because of that I have rarely said a negative word about him. But, our bigs (Uros included) need to do better on the boards. I know it’s easier said than done, but that’s how we will win games.

In general, rebounding is what wins you games. I mean the reason Alabama is so good is because of this stat below. Like, this is truly insane efficiency right here. I don’t expect us to be this good on the glass, but as another perimeter team, this is what separates us from Alabama right now.
Year to date per game averages:
Uros 15 min, 6.4 points, 4.4 rebounds
Aidoo 17.6 min, 5.3 points, 5.3 rebounds
ON 26.6 min,11.1 points, 4.8 rebounds
Awaka 7.9 min, 3.0points, 3.7 rebounds

When you look at the actual stats, UP and Aidoo are about the same on minutes, points, and rebounds. ON is the glaring rebounding outlier, and Awaka is the strongest rebounder per minutes played, but I haven’t seen anything yet to make me think he could average double digits in points and we need points. Now you have to consider defensive strengths, understanding offensive spacing, etc to decide who is producing the best. As a team we sometimes struggle to score so ON’s points are very attractive. I feel that Uros has the best understanding of defensive assignments and has the strength such that nobody has been pushing him out of the post - JMO. Aidoo is a far superior shot blocker but is still needing more strength to battle the stronger conference post opponents - again JMO. Obvious to me that CRB gets everybody in the game in the first 10 minutes then adjusts his substitutions on who is performing best that night.

When you look at the actual stats, UP and Aidoo are about the same on minutes, points, and rebounds. ON is the glaring rebounding outlier, and Awaka is the strongest rebounder per minutes played, but I haven’t seen anything yet to make me think he could average double digits in points and we need points. Now you have to consider defensive strengths, understanding offensive spacing, etc to decide who is producing the best. As a team we sometimes struggle to score so ON’s points are very attractive. I feel that Uros has the best understanding of defensive assignments and has the strength such that nobody has been pushing him out of the post - JMO. Aidoo is a far superior shot blocker but is still needing more strength to battle the stronger conference post opponents - again JMO. Obvious to me that CRB gets everybody in the game in the first 10 minutes then adjusts his substitutions on who is performing best that night.
You’re making me dizzy. What are you saying? Not criticizing, though.

Per 40 minutes, ON is only 1.9 points better than Awaka, and Awaka is much more limited in his offensive game since we've seen nothing from him outside of five feet. Still yet, Awaka has impressed me with his post moves and ability to score in the post in his limited minutes. He doesn't look awkward, unsure of himself, or show a lack of confidence posting up and getting a shot. That gives me a ton of confidence in his ability to become a scoring threat in the future. He won't likely ever be a 20 ppg kind of player, but 12 ppg isn't out of the question, and if he expands (or shows) his range at any point, the sky is the limit.

Per 40 minutes, ON is only 1.9 points better than Awaka, and Awaka is much more limited in his offensive game since we've seen nothing from him outside of five feet. Still yet, Awaka has impressed me with his post moves and ability to score in the post in his limited minutes. He doesn't look awkward, unsure of himself, or show a lack of confidence posting up and getting a shot. That gives me a ton of confidence in his ability to become a scoring threat in the future. He won't likely ever be a 20 ppg kind of player, but 12 ppg isn't out of the question, and if he expands (or shows) his range at any point, the sky is the limit.
I agree and I think Awaka should be playing more. I kinda feel like we should do like last year before ON got injured and play a bit more double big with Awaka and either ON or Aidoo if we’re having issues with rebounding. I know Plav was having an amazing game, but you can’t have two non shooters, so it’s hard to play them together.

I think JJJ has really taken Awaka’s time but they’re such different players and fill different roles on the team that I feel that JJJ could maybe take Key’s role more often or perhaps take a bit more of his time? I know Key is backup PG, but still wonder if playing big could help us at times.

I agree and I think Awaka should be playing more. I kinda feel like we should do like last year before ON got injured and play a bit more double big with Awaka and either ON or Aidoo if we’re having issues with rebounding. I know Plav was having an amazing game, but you can’t have two non shooters, so it’s hard to play them together.

I think JJJ has really taken Awaka’s time but they’re such different players and fill different roles on the team that I feel that JJJ could maybe take Key’s role more often or perhaps take a bit more of his time? I know Key is backup PG, but still wonder if playing big could help us at times.

Yeah, Key has been brutal going on over a month, now. Something like 16-56 in the last 8 games with 15 assists and 13 TOs. I wouldn't mind his minutes getting scaled back.

Yeah, Key has been brutal going on over a month, now. Something like 16-56 in the last 8 games with 15 assists and 13 TOs. I wouldn't mind his minutes getting scaled back.

He’s been disappointing to say the least. I feel like when I watch him on the court I’m watching an empty shell. He plays fine defense, but I’m not exactly sure what he provides in his minutes.

He’s been disappointing to say the least. I feel like when I watch him on the court I’m watching an empty shell. He plays fine defense, but I’m not exactly sure what he provides in his minutes.
I said from the beginning, based off the eye test, he wasn’t going to translate to this level. Outside of the Gonzaga game that take has been correct. When he’s playing confident he’s a solid 3pt shooter and can get a bucket underneath against smaller defender, but for whatever reason he just cant’t execute consistently. I’d rather see Mashack play over him.

This. I’ve been saying for the last month that it really seems like a mental thing with him. He lacks all aggression and looks completely uncomfortable on offense. He def gives us more on defense and with ball handling, but his scoring ability is giving major VB vibes from last year.

I have to say we might have some of the lowest IQ basketball knowledge fans in the entire country. Listened to Fox Sports Knoxville this morning after an 11-point road win against a Q1 opponent ON THE ROAD down 2 starters and every single call is asking for Barnes to step aside, calling him washed, saying he needs to learn how to coach, saying this team should be blowing MSU out by 30 on the road, Barnes is stupid for not playing BJ Edwards more, etc.

Mind-numbing stuff. We're #9 in the country and winning at a clip this program has never seen and all our fans can do is complain.

I have to say we might have some of the lowest IQ basketball knowledge fans in the entire country. Listened to Fox Sports Knoxville this morning after an 11-point road win against a Q1 opponent ON THE ROAD down 2 starters and every single call is asking for Barnes to step aside, calling him washed, saying he needs to learn how to coach, saying this team should be blowing MSU out by 30 on the road, Barnes is stupid for not playing BJ Edwards more, etc.

Mind-numbing stuff. We're #9 in the country and winning at a clip this program has never seen and all our fans can do is complain.
We really do have the most passionate fanbase in all of America. We also have the most uninformed fanbase in all of America. So many of them would be utterly embarrassed if Rick Barnes pulled them in a room and asked them to break down film with him. Just such an embarrassing collection of misplaced confidence from our fans.

We really do have the most passionate fanbase in all of America. We also have the most uninformed fanbase in all of America. So many of them would be utterly embarrassed if Rick Barnes pulled them in a room and asked them to break down film with him. Just such an embarrassing collection of misplaced confidence from our fans.

Barnes has elevated the profile of this program so much it has been to his own detriment with our fanbase. When he retires, there is a strong chance this program takes a step back and I am curious what our fans will say about Barnes at that point. We're a consistent Top 15 program right now. Do people not enjoy the wins? It's mind-numbing.

I think the most annoying thing is the constant complaining I hear on the radio about B.J. Edwards not playing more. Callers were questioning why Edwards didn't play last night. Just constant anger over Edwards not getting more run. If Edwards wasn't from Knoxville, you'd never hear this type of ire towards Barnes. I almost wish we would stop recruiting local kids completely if this is the type of reaction we're going to get if a local player doesn't play 15-20 MPG as a true freshmen.

Barnes has elevated the profile of this program so much it has been to his own detriment with our fanbase. When he retires, there is a strong chance this program takes a step back and I am curious what our fans will say about Barnes at that point. We're a consistent Top 15 program right now. Do people not enjoy the wins? It's mind-numbing.

I think the most annoying thing is the constant complaining I hear on the radio about B.J. Edwards not playing more. Callers were questioning why Edwards didn't play last night. Just constant anger over Edwards not getting more run. If Edwards wasn't from Knoxville, you'd never hear this type of ire towards Barnes. I almost wish we would stop recruiting local kids completely if this is the type of reaction we're going to get if a local player doesn't play 15-20 MPG as a true freshmen.
You could almost say case in point is DJ Jefferson. He and Edwards do play different positions so there’s that, but not once have I heard anyone clamoring about how we need him. The coaching staff clearly see that neither he or Edwards are ready, yet you always hear people complaining about Edwards.

Totally agree on Edwards. See DJ Jefferson, who was ranked ~50 spots higher in the top-100, and no one is clamoring for him to get some run.

You could almost say case in point is DJ Jefferson. He and Edwards do play different positions so there’s that, but not once have I heard anyone clamoring about how we need him. The coaching staff clearly see that neither he or Edwards are ready, yet you always hear people complaining about Edwards.

Beat me to it.

Reactions: Creeker

VN Store

Back