The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

View attachment 531725

Who was the last 6'8 player we had that could pull this play off?

Give that kid the rock and get the hell out of the way.
Brandon Miller
Jalen Wilson
Maxwell Lewis
GG Jackson
…to name a few.

And to be fair, how often have we seen Phillips make that move, or one like it, and get shut down at the rim instead of finishing? That’s my biggest question with him; the size, strength, and physicality. He’s all finesse right now.

Reactions: berryvol
Brandon Miller
Jalen Wilson
Maxwell Lewis
GG Jackson
…to name a few.

And to be fair, how often have we seen Phillips make that move, or one like it, and get shut down at the rim instead of finishing? That’s my biggest question with him; the size, strength, and physicality. He’s all finesse right now.
I disagree. I think he’s pretty physical given his current build. He’s leading the team in FTA by a wide margin and also leads the team in total rebounds and offensive rebounds.

And none of those players listed played for UT which was my original point.

I like JP, but right now he can’t hold Miller’s jock and that’s not an insult to JP because I can’t name another player I’ve seen this season (freshmen to seniors) with Miller’s talent to move and shoot at 6-8”+
I’m not suggesting he’s better than Miller because he’s not. My original point is there not many guys in the country that can match JP’s size and athleticism.

JP is an elite rebounder at his position and size

But thats not a super valuable NBA skill.

I think watching him, he has potential to be really good at drawing fouls. Like Jimmy Butler for instance. Maybe. (Not comparing him to Butler. Just that particular part of his game)

But he needs to show a lot more of something like that to raise his stock.

I disagree. I think he’s pretty physical given his current build. He’s leading the team in FTA by a wide margin and also leads the team in total rebounds and offensive rebounds.

And none of those players listed played for UT which was my original point.

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to this post...
The mix of length, speed, physically and fluidity JP has is rarely ever going to be matched in college ball. There's no reason he can't score give you 10 a night just off driving to the rack.

And sure, he's tall and athletic, but being tall and athletic doesn't make you physical when you weigh in at under two bills. You call him physical for his size/build, but that isn't really saying much considering how slender he is. He has a ton of room to add muscle, and if he was 220 instead of 198, he might finish a lot more of those drives to the basket instead of simply drawing a foul, or getting pushed off his lane.

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to this post...

And sure, he's tall and athletic, but being tall and athletic doesn't make you physical when you weigh in at under two bills. You call him physical for his size/build, but that isn't really saying much considering how slender he is. He has a ton of room to add muscle, and if he was 220 instead of 198, he might finish a lot more of those drives to the basket instead of simply drawing a foul, or getting pushed off his lane.

I don't think you need to be a strong guy to be a physical player but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Look at NBA mock drafts, they are littered with 6’7”-6’9” athletic dudes.

Y'all are making it seem like I said Phillips is some unicorn prospect. I'm fully aware there's other comparable athletes in the country, but they're not somebody Phillips is going to see every night. They're being mocked as a NBA potential draftee for a reason. A draft comprised of 60 players, which is barely 1% of D1 college basketball. Even less considering 25%-30% comes from pro leagues/ international. So yeah, like I said, not many.

I don't think you need to be a strong guy to be a physical player but I guess we'll agree to disagree.
I guess I think that him being stronger would make him more effective at finishing some of those drives to the rim instead of getting bumped, shut down, or being forced to finesse shots like he did in the clip you posted. He scored there with a crafty move that left him with an uncontested reverse layup. Earlier in that same game, he went to the basket into traffic and got met by a stronger player who stuffed his shot and then stuffed the second attempt, as well. 20 more pounds may get him to the line on that play, or maybe he finishes it in traffic for an and-1.

Y'all are making it seem like I said Phillips is some unicorn prospect. I'm fully aware there's other comparable athletes in the country, but they're not somebody Phillips is going to see every night. They're being mocked as a NBA potential draftee for a reason. A draft comprised of 60 players, which is barely 1% of D1 college basketball. Even less considering 25%-30% comes from pro leagues/ international. So yeah, like I said, not many.
Your posts seemed to suggest he’s 1/2 players in the country that could make that move (has that size & fluidity), when in reality there’s actually quite a few.

Your posts seemed to suggest he’s 1/2 players in the country that could make that move (has that size & fluidity), when in reality there’s actually quite a few.

My original post was regarding UT's lack of JP level athletes with his combination of size/ ball skills in the past.

There's not many JP level athletes in the country either - which leads me to believe he should be taking advantage of that more than he is.

So, once again, "quite a few" among 5k+ players is still not many.

The guy that Phillips reminds me of is Kelly Oubre. Very similar build and athletic profile, not a prolific shooter, but room to improve. Similar college stats as well (Oubre was more efficient but averaged less) and Oubre was still the 15th pick.

I’d much rather he sit out the LSU game. On paper you should be able to win without him.
Oh I don’t know. I’m not confident to win any SEC road game without Santi. Obviously it can be done (like at State) but we’ve already had our conference stinker in Kentucky. If he can play I think he should

The guy that Phillips reminds me of is Kelly Oubre. Very similar build and athletic profile, not a prolific shooter, but room to improve. Similar college stats as well (Oubre was more efficient but averaged less) and Oubre was still the 15th pick.
The 36% from 3 on 3 attempts a game would be the biggest difference between the 2, along with probably 10-15lbs…if Phillips ends the year shooting 35%+ from 3 on 3+ attempts a game then his stock will absolutely soar.

The 36% from 3 on 3 attempts a game would be the biggest difference between the 2, along with probably 10-15lbs…if Phillips ends the year shooting 35%+ from 3 on 3+ attempts a game then his stock will absolutely soar.

Here was their full assessment of him. I agree somewhat with the minus section. He has a weird stance and clunky mechanics. But his three ball and finishing around the basket seems to have gotten better as the season has gone on.

"PLUSES
  • Disruptive defender who will take a charge, make a second effort on block attempts, and hustle in transition to swipe at the ball.
  • With an excellent size and a long wingspan, he will be able to effectively guard multiple positions.
  • Crashes the boards. He displays good instincts for reading the trajectory on shots and has the athleticism to snatch rebounds out of the air.
  • Good passer. Tennessee uses him as a playmaking hub at the top of the key, from the high post, and in the middle of a zone. He can throw passes from multiple angles and deliver the ball with accuracy.
  • Headsy cutter and slasher who consistently finds openings to attack the basket. With good hands, coordination, and toughness, he throws his body at the defense and draws a ton of fouls even if he’s not able to finish.
  • He makes over 80 percent of his free throws, so while he doesn’t shoot well outside of the paint, he is efficient from the line.
MINUSES
  • Struggles as a shooter, even from a standstill. He has stiff mechanics and too wide of a stance, and he frequently hoists up air balls. He needs to change his form or revert back to what he did in high school, when his shot was smoother.
  • Inefficient finisher around the basket. He isn’t an above-the-rim guy in traffic, so he ends up taking some wild shots when he should be looking to pass instead."

Last edited:
Here was their full assessment of him. I agree somewhat with the minus section. He has a weird stance and clunky mechanics. But his three ball and finishing around the basket had gotten better as the season has gone on.

"PLUSES
  • Disruptive defender who will take a charge, make a second effort on block attempts, and hustle in transition to swipe at the ball.
  • With an excellent size and a long wingspan, he will be able to effectively guard multiple positions.
  • Crashes the boards. He displays good instincts for reading the trajectory on shots and has the athleticism to snatch rebounds out of the air.
  • Good passer. Tennessee uses him as a playmaking hub at the top of the key, from the high post, and in the middle of a zone. He can throw passes from multiple angles and deliver the ball with accuracy.
  • Headsy cutter and slasher who consistently finds openings to attack the basket. With good hands, coordination, and toughness, he throws his body at the defense and draws a ton of fouls even if he’s not able to finish.
  • He makes over 80 percent of his free throws, so while he doesn’t shoot well outside of the paint, he is efficient from the line.
MINUSES
  • Struggles as a shooter, even from a standstill. He has stiff mechanics and too wide of a stance, and he frequently hoists up air balls. He needs to change his form or revert back to what he did in high school, when his shot was smoother.
  • Inefficient finisher around the basket. He isn’t an above-the-rim guy in traffic, so he ends up taking some wild shots when he should be looking to pass instead."

In before people comment on the “revert back to high school shooting form” note

VN Store

Back