The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Totally agree on Edwards. See DJ Jefferson, who was ranked ~50 spots higher in the top-100, and no one is clamoring for him to get some run.

It’s just all doom and gloom. Nate Hodges literally said that Edwards should refuse to practice and immediately enter the portal if Barnes isn’t going to play him. Just looney tunes stuff here. Barnes almost never plays true freshmen unless you are literal NBA 1st round prospects. Just because Edwards isn’t playing right now doesn’t mean he needs to portal and find somewhere else. Sheesh.

Barnes has elevated the profile of this program so much it has been to his own detriment with our fanbase. When he retires, there is a strong chance this program takes a step back and I am curious what our fans will say about Barnes at that point. We're a consistent Top 15 program right now. Do people not enjoy the wins? It's mind-numbing.

I think the most annoying thing is the constant complaining I hear on the radio about B.J. Edwards not playing more. Callers were questioning why Edwards didn't play last night. Just constant anger over Edwards not getting more run. If Edwards wasn't from Knoxville, you'd never hear this type of ire towards Barnes. I almost wish we would stop recruiting local kids completely if this is the type of reaction we're going to get if a local player doesn't play 15-20 MPG as a true freshmen.
The great irony in all of this is that the fans who are calling in to radio and making statements like that won’t even care enough to call in when/if we take a step back. Basketball and baseball are of the same ilk here: people care A LOT when they are good. When they’re bad/average, those people MAY still watch, but they definitely won’t care enough to call in and complain daily. Instead, they’ll just say we should divert funds from the struggling sports to the only one that really matters aka football. All that to say, your statement about Barnes elevating the program to his down detriment with our idiot fans is spot on.

It’s just all doom and gloom. Nate Hodges literally said that Edwards should refuse to practice and immediately enter the portal if Barnes isn’t going to play him. Just looney tunes stuff here. Barnes almost never plays true freshmen unless you are literal NBA 1st round prospects. Just because Edwards isn’t playing right now doesn’t mean he needs to portal and find somewhere else. Sheesh.
This is another thing that pisses me the hell off: even though fox sports is “fan run”, these guys are still technically local journalists, with a cult like local following, making statements like that. It’s just mind numbing.

This is another thing that pisses me the hell off: even though fox sports is “fan run”, these guys are still technically local journalists, with a cult like local following, making statements like that. It’s just mind numbing.

I used to enjoy “Fan Run” because at least what they said would have more color to it than the extremely vanilla and bland state run media. But, recently, 3&Out has been nearly impossible to listen to. It’s all anger and disappointment. I think The Drive in the afternoon is more enjoyable. Russell Smith is at least reasonable and normal.

I have to say we might have some of the lowest IQ basketball knowledge fans in the entire country. Listened to Fox Sports Knoxville this morning after an 11-point road win against a Q1 opponent ON THE ROAD down 2 starters and every single call is asking for Barnes to step aside, calling him washed, saying he needs to learn how to coach, saying this team should be blowing MSU out by 30 on the road, Barnes is stupid for not playing BJ Edwards more, etc.

Mind-numbing stuff. We're #9 in the country and winning at a clip this program has never seen and all our fans can do is complain.
I heard the same thing and just about called in and ripped those two callers.

That garbage network was founded during the Butch Jones years. They depend on negativity and chaos happening at UT to survive. And with everything on campus being good again, they have to exaggerate the hell out of every loss because there aren’t as many of them happening now. There’s a reason they didn’t exist in the 90s

I have to say we might have some of the lowest IQ basketball knowledge fans in the entire country. Listened to Fox Sports Knoxville this morning after an 11-point road win against a Q1 opponent ON THE ROAD down 2 starters and every single call is asking for Barnes to step aside, calling him washed, saying he needs to learn how to coach, saying this team should be blowing MSU out by 30 on the road, Barnes is stupid for not playing BJ Edwards more, etc.

Mind-numbing stuff. We're #9 in the country and winning at a clip this program has never seen and all our fans can do is complain.

That’s just human nature. The type of person to call in and complain on a radio show like that typically is a person with an under developed prefrontal cortex. They don't represent anyone that matters. They are the lowest common denominators.

That’s just human nature. The type of person to call in and complain on a radio show like that typically is a person with an under developed prefrontal cortex. They don't represent anyone that matters. They are the lowest common denominators.
If the football program hadn’t fallen off the map after Fulmer, all the clowns at that station would still be working at Walmart.

Reactions: berryvol

I think you can remove "basketball" from that. Our fans aren't that smart collectively about other sports either, sorry not sorry.

You have low IQ fans basketball-wise and when combined with experience, they really don’t have a decent clue. Jethro Bodine really THOUGHT he was a good brain surgeon. It is quite amazing at times. Most of these fans don’t regularly watch basketball…..they just couldn’t.

The one and done and portal have caused some fans to lose their minds. There is an actual thing called development that Barnes is good at. Some guys just aren't ready as a freshman, or there are better options in front of them. There is a whole book of players that took a year or two and then became high level players.

I don't think it's really fair to say that our bigs are not doing a good job on the glass. As a team we're 2nd in the SEC and 13th in the nation in rebounding, so they're doing something right. ON could do better, as his per game average has dropped by 0.6 despite playing 5 minutes more per game. At the same time, we've added Phillips who has been elite for his position as a rebounder.

Essentially, we had one awful rebounding game against Kentucky. That (but honestly missing wide layups) certainly help cost us that game. We bounced back pretty well against Mississippi state though from that point of view. State did get a pretty high number of offensive rebounds, but they also missed a ton of shots. We still out-rebounded them by 8 and were right at our season average.

The one and done and portal have caused some fans to lose their minds. There is an actual thing called development that Barnes is good at. Some guys just aren't ready as a freshman, or there are better options in front of them. There is a whole book of players that took a year or two and then became high level players.

Josh Richardson didn’t really come into his own till his junior year. Reminds me a lot of Maschack. Yet some people on that call in show were wondering why we even recruited Jahmai and said he is overrated. It’s just baffling. These same people would have run of Richardson if they could. Now he’s had a long and healthy NBA career and was dynamic his final year in Knoxville.

LMAO I am having flashbacks. Steven Pearl had one move. The Reverse Lay-up.

I still remember he once shot a putback shot that almost broke the backboard. It was Michael Scott pick up game episode bad.

basketball-michael-scott.gif

I would like to think Barnes has earned enough trust in his ability to evaluate talent that if Edwards were remotely ready to step on the floor against SEC competition, he would've played last night. But apparently not.

FanRun/Fox relies on the legion of the miserable to keep calling in day after day. Keep that ad revenue rolling in. Honestly, I think Russell Smith is a quality broadcaster whose talent is kind of being wasted doing a drivetime call-in sports talk show. Jon Reed is solid, too. The rest of those guys are just LARPing being "sports journalists."

Josh Richardson didn’t really come into his own till his junior year. Reminds me a lot of Maschack. Yet some people on that call in show were wondering why we even recruited Jahmai and said he is overrated. It’s just baffling. These same people would have run of Richardson if they could. Now he’s had a long and healthy NBA career and was dynamic his final year in Knoxville.
I'm still really high on Mashack, but his offense has completely abandoned him. He had a nice dribble drive game and even a midrange pull up jumper that was working. He can't seem to find that rhythm he had earlier in the year. Can't even make wide open layups right now. He's still probably the best defender we have, and possibly one of the best defenders I think we've ever had (at least over the last 20 years).

Reactions: walkenvol
I just assume Edwards isn't playing because he's not very good, at least not right now and maybe he never is able to play at this level. When ZZ has to go 40 and your two other PGs are injured and he still doesn't play, something is up. Especially since his RS is burned already unless there's some undisclosed mystery injury. I do know that Barnes isn't insane and wouldn't just not play him for giggles.

Reactions: 67Vol
I'm still really high on Mashack, but his offense has completely abandoned him. He had a nice dribble drive game and even a midrange pull up jumper that was working. He can't seem to find that rhythm he had earlier in the year. Can't even make wide open layups right now. He's still probably the best defender we have, and possibly one of the best defenders I think we've ever had (at least over the last 20 years).
I’m hopeful that he makes at least the same jump next year he did this year, still obviously so far to go but last year he wouldn’t even look at the basket. This year he’s hit some shots and doesn’t seem to completely pass on wide open shots which means he’s put in work and coaches have a certain level of confidence there, another offseason like that and he could at least be serviceable offensively.

I just assume Edwards isn't playing because he's not very good, at least not right now and maybe he never is able to play at this level. When ZZ has to go 40 and your two other PGs are injured and he still doesn't play, something is up. Especially since his RS is burned already unless there's some undisclosed mystery injury. I do know that Barnes isn't insane and wouldn't just not play him for giggles.

Seeing as how he’s played in 8 games and his last appearance was at the exact cutoff for medical waiver to apply I would say there’s a possibility that’s something being discussed.

The mix of length, speed, physically and fluidity JP has is rarely ever going to be matched in college ball. There's no reason he can't score give you 10 a night just off driving to the rack.
There’s plenty of 6-8” guys in college basketball with JP speed and fluidity - just review Kentucky’s and Bama’s roster for a few

VN Store

Back