The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I would say that everyone played hard with the exception of Nkamhoua. Sometimes there’s a narrative that the team didn’t show up or the team didn’t give effort or the team played soft. I think that, to a man, everyone played hard with one exception. We just didn’t play well. We didn’t hit shots. Of course, the rebounding was the ultimate killer.

I agree we competed and did not give up so, yeah, we played hard in that sense (otherwise, we would not have had a chance to win late in the game). On the other hand, we knew we had to bring it on the boards which, imo, is all about effort and attitude and we clearly did not do that. I largely give Plav a pass for only getting 3 reb because he seemed to be following the game plan to pin Oscar (often face guarding with his back to the basket) and rely on other Vols to rebound - that did not happen most of the time.

We also knew they were backed into a corner and would play us tough after hearing all week about how bad they are and how Cal is about to be ran out of town. Despite that, we get 27% shooting overall and 13% from the 3-pt line from our 3 best players. Call it not playing well or not showing up - either way we simply cannot have that from our leaders if we expect to win any game going forward.

It's not the end of the world and we have a lot of basketball in front of us but it was definitely disappointing given how well we had been playing coming into the game. Let's see how the coaches and team respond - GBO!

I agree we competed and did not give up so, yeah, we played hard in that sense (otherwise, we would not have had a chance to win late in the game). On the other hand, we knew we had to bring it on the boards which, imo, is all about effort and attitude and we clearly did not do that. I largely give Plav a pass for only getting 3 reb because he seemed to be following the game plan to pin Oscar (often face guarding with his back to the basket) and rely on other Vols to rebound - that did not happen most of the time.

We also knew they were backed into a corner and would play us tough after hearing all week about how bad they are and how Cal is about to be ran out of town. Despite that, we get 27% shooting overall and 13% from the 3-pt line from our 3 best players. Call it not playing well or not showing up - either way we simply cannot have that from our leaders if we expect to win any game going forward.

It's not the end of the world and we have a lot of basketball in front of us but it was definitely disappointing given how well we had been playing coming into the game. Let's see how the coaches and team respond - GBO!
Yeah, the rebounding certainly is effort, but having to concentrate on the country’s best rebounder left us vulnerable, and one guy in particular didn’t take up the slack. I never have much of an issue when we lose if it’s not from a lack of complete effort. The rebounding does show that all pistons weren’t firing, which is disappointing.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Going into yesterdays game we rebounded over 25% of our misses on the offensive end, Top 3 nationally in ORBPG, yesterday we rebounded 7% of our misses.
Yep. The average offensive rebounding % is typically around 25-27%. Kentucky is an elite rebounding team. Regardless of that we out rebounded USCjr because we made shots and they couldn’t make ****.

I’m not ignoring anything. We outrebounded USCjr significantly because we made 51% of baskets and they made 25%. Toppin also DNP in their game against USCjr.
I’m not talking about USCjr, taking anything from a 1 game sample size for either team is dumb…on a 16 game sample size we are a better rebounding team than Kentucky, they outrebounded us by 20, that can’t/shouldn’t happen.

I’m not ignoring anything. We outrebounded USCjr significantly because we made 51% of baskets and they made 25%. Toppin also DNP in their game against USCjr.

USC missed 36 shots; we missed 33 shots. They had almost as many chances for defensive rebounds as we did but got out rebounded by 16 on the defensive boards, and we grabbed 18 offensive rebounds.

USC missed 36 shots; we missed 33 shots. They had almost as many chances for defensive rebounds as we did but got out rebounded by 16 on the defensive boards, and we grabbed 18 offensive rebounds.
Tends to happen when you’re up 40 on a team you’ve completely demoralized.

Who said top 3 nationally was average?

BTO misspoke a little about our offensive rebounding rate, but we are 4th at 38% and 41% at home. Kentucky is 3rd. We rebounded roughly 9% yesterday, so we were way below our average.

So, even shooting better doesn’t skew it that much, as the case against USC.

Reactions: berryvol
I'm not sure how you arrive at Bama being our biggest rival in basketball, but I agree with the athleticism comment and the idea of then being among the best teams in the nation. I said it several days ago and I'll say it again; I think the two best teams in the country already played each other when Bama and Houston squared off.
Obstacle mightve been a better word. Theyr our biggest challenge in terms of winning the SEC.
As far as Houston idk, i havent watched a single minute of them this year so ill take your word for it.

Reactions: cncchris33
This isn't a bad loss, though. It's only viewed that way because of the recent narrative of Kentucky. They have all the talent in the world. We should have beat them, no doubt, but this isn't a loss to Ole Miss or South Carolina.
Unless UK turns it around, it will be held against us come seeding time.

VN Store

Back